Searching for fellow safety pilot for air camping/ hour building

Cherokee Hourbuilder

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Walter Hans
Hi fellow pilots,

well I hope this is compliant with forum policy and interest for a first post - I intend to log more time on my own aircraft for subsequent use on an EASA rating (called the FI-IR, the equivalent of a CFII in fact). I currently have the CMEL/ IR and a Cherokee 140, G430 non-WAAS and the idea is that I go under the hood, and the safety pilot who would need anything from a few dozen to 150 hrs pays the mogas (STCed a/c, obviously). So all you need is to be likable person with a private licence and time on your hand, in July and August. Whilst we are not in the air, I am all in favour of air museums, visiting your relatives, swimming in the ocean in walking distance from an airfield, checking out national parks or whatever sounds appealing to do with a SEP and some time at hand.

A/c is currently in SC, but I am quite flexible for this air camper experience, flying under IFR for the x/c part, shooting approaches and having a good time. With summerly density altitude Colorado part of Rockies is probably not a good idea ;-). For anything else, heck, let's have fun and build time.

So, if you are a hangar rat and pleasant enough to sit in a cockpit with another pilot who is under the hood, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers!

Sounds quite feasible, love the state and have friends there. Please quantify "a few hours" - 2? 12? 22? 122?

Hi fellow pilots,

well I hope this is compliant with forum policy and interest for a first post - I intend to log more time on my own aircraft for subsequent use on an EASA rating (called the FI-IR, the equivalent of a CFII in fact). I currently have the CMEL/ IR and a Cherokee 140, G430 non-WAAS and the idea is that I go under the hood, and the safety pilot who would need anything from a few dozen to 150 hrs pays the mogas (STCed a/c, obviously). So all you need is to be likable person with a private licence and time on your hand, in July and August. Whilst we are not in the air, I am all in favour of air museums, visiting your relatives, swimming in the ocean in walking distance from an airfield, checking out national parks or whatever sounds appealing to do with a SEP and some time at hand.

A/c is currently in SC, but I am quite flexible for this air camper experience, flying under IFR for the x/c part, shooting approaches and having a good time. With summerly density altitude Colorado part of Rockies is probably not a good idea ;-). For anything else, heck, let's have fun and build time.

So, if you are a hangar rat and pleasant enough to sit in a cockpit with another pilot who is under the hood, I would love to hear from you.

Cheers!
I believe your partner would need a current medical or basicmed to safety pilot In addition to PPL. Also, having him pay 100% of fuel is, of course, not technically legal. Or is it? You'd think it would be obvious.

I believe your partner would need a current medical or basicmed to safety pilot In addition to PPL. Also, having him pay 100% of fuel is, of course, not technically legal. Or is it? You'd think it would be obvious.

You want a free beer with your fish and chips or free fish and chips with your beer.

Paying gas where as the poster pays for everything else probably wouldn't even have the safety pilot paying a full 50% of the hourly operating costs, plenty legal.

Hi, yes medical is obviously needed, I assumed my responders would be aware of that.
As for the sharing, agreed, I would (and do, to friends) dry lease the a/c for 40 bucks (which is very competitive from what I see around the market for a Cherokee 140 with a G430), thus this is compliant any way you turn it. And if it weren't, with the set rate, one could even sign an agreement on that and swap the cash portions for "you pay me dry rate for half the flights, I pay for half the gas" etc. It's truly shared holidays, timebuidling, shooting approaches etc.

I believe your partner would need a current medical or basicmed to safety pilot In addition to PPL....
And if the partner is flying under BasicMed, then he or she would have to be designated as pilot in command in order to act as safety pilot.

If you want me to take this discussion to another thread, just say so, not intending to take yours off course, but discussing this here will keep it at the top for more attention as a side benefit, if you're ok with that. ;-)

I have multiple confusions on the topic of sharing expenses.

1. I don't think the assumptions posted above are accurate. I think that you can't charge for half of operational expenses. I've seen multiple rulings from the FAA that suggest that you can't charge for more than fuel, oil, and rent if renting. The FAR says
(c) A private pilot may not pay less than the pro rata share of the operating expenses of a flight with passengers, provided the expenses involve only fuel, oil, airport expenditures, or rental fees.
. What is not clear to me is as suggested above, is why you can not pass on half your "dry rental" cost as well, as owner, but it seems from everything I've seen that you cannot.

2. Is this discussion even relevant with two certificated pilots? It's more clear with passengers that aren't pilots, but if both are pilots, can they pay for the flight any way they want? Or, does it come down to who is logging PIC during the flight?
Scenario A. Owner is PIC and pays 100%
Scenario B. certificated pilot is PIC and pays 100%
Scenario C. Owner is PIC and certificated pilot in right seat, non owner pays 100%
Scenario D. Certificated pilot is PIC and owner is right seat, owner pays 100%
Scenario E. Owner is sole operator of controls and PPL is PIC for safety pilot
It seems to me like A, B are fine. C & D are probably clearly not. E is the one I'm not sure about. 50/50 is obviously fine. But couldn't either pilot pay 100% since they were both logging PIC? Or, can the safety pilot pay 100% and not the "sole operator"? I think in any case, since the OP of this thread is not going to be PIC (I hope I have that part right) he could technically get away with having his partner pay 100% of the expenses since the PIC would be paying all the expenses, which is perfectly reasonable (not that the faa rules are perfectly reasonable).

Last edited:
Hi, yes medical is obviously needed, I assumed my responders would be aware of that.
As for the sharing, agreed, I would (and do, to friends) dry lease the a/c for 40 bucks (which is very competitive from what I see around the market for a Cherokee 140 with a G430), thus this is compliant any way you turn it. And if it weren't, with the set rate, one could even sign an agreement on that and swap the cash portions for "you pay me dry rate for half the flights, I pay for half the gas" etc. It's truly shared holidays, timebuidling, shooting approaches etc.

I'm pretty sure your insurance policy has a statement that prohibits you from taking any money from pilots flying it apart from fuel cost.

This sounds more like a "Nate need not apply" thing...

Ok, spill - what did @denverpilot do to you...?

So all you need is to be likable person with a private licence and time on your hand, in July and August.

This sounds more like a "Nate need not apply" thing...

Ok, spill - what did @denverpilot do to you...?

It's okay. I failed all three of his stipulations anyway.

I'm not Private rated, I'm Commercial rated.
I don't have any real time available for two whole months.
And I'm not always likeable. But that one is usually up to you and how you behave. ;)

I'm an instrument student, looking to build hours and some hood time also if possible. I'm based in Maine, with a pretty open schedule in August. Let me know if you make it up to New England.

Just flew the last five days with the OP and had a great time. Very stable airplane. Maybe not the prettiest looking girl in the club, but reliable and didn't do us any wrong over the last five days. And at the price the OP is offering, you can't go wrong.

Just flew the last five days with the OP and had a great time. Very stable airplane. Maybe not the prettiest looking girl in the club, but reliable and didn't do us any wrong over the last five days. And at the price the OP is offering, you can't go wrong.

Where'd y'all go? Any good food/sights?

Where'd y'all go? Any good food/sights?

Florida-Alabama-Arkansas-Oklahoma-Kansas-Minnesota-Wisconsin-Indiana-Tennessee-Florida

Part of my personal bucket list is to visit all 50 state capitols, and got four out of the way on this trip. Stayed with either his or my friends for two nights, and in a hotel two nights. Checked out a potential airplane purchase for a friend of his. Drank some beers (AFTER flying...lol). Overall we had a great time.

Florida-Alabama-Arkansas-Oklahoma-Kansas-Minnesota-Wisconsin-Indiana-Tennessee-Florida

Part of my personal bucket list is to visit all 50 state capitols, and got four out of the way on this trip. Stayed with either his or my friends for two nights, and in a hotel two nights. Checked out a potential airplane purchase for a friend of his. Drank some beers (AFTER flying...lol). Overall we had a great time.

Sounds like a great trip.

Sounds like a great trip.
Indeed it was. We might do it again some other time if we both still need hours.

For other people on here, I would recommend contacting OP if you want to build hours cheaply.

Indeed was a great trip, thanks again, Kai :).

Sorry, I do not log on here this often plus we were obviously travelling. Please come to Southern FL come September for some shared travelling! Commercial tickets there are quite cheap if reserved early on!

Putting it on the front page again:

Iam flying from near Gainsville 42J to Providence. Anyone who wants to play safety pilot or leave this area?

Pls let me know, tailsign is N73KL. 305 215 3470 current cell phone number.

Cheers!

Back