mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Chuck,

Message search doesn't work.

I tried searching for FBI and WGA for example, which are words in message headers, and get 0 results. I even tried an advanced search saying to serahc the header only. No luck. Is the search function set for a minimum word length?

I don't think I've ever had search actually find the thread I was looking for.

Mike, I believe there is a minimum word length. 3 =< the minimum.

-Skip

What Skip said. It's currently set for 3 character words or it will start indexing waay too much. Searches for "windows" and "microsoft" (separately) turned up a bunch of threads.

Must be a different setting. I just realized that WGA and FBI should be in the search indexes. The MySQL backend may have a different setting, though. They have to match for fulltext indexing to work in search.

Brian Austin said:
What Skip said. It's currently set for 3 character words or it will start indexing waay too much. Searches for "windows" and "microsoft" (separately) turned up a bunch of threads.
It would better if it indexed even 2 character words, but had an exception list to ignore common articles and prepositions like "at, an, to, if, the, ..." - maybe consider acronyms in upper case as indexable.

mikea said:
It would better if it indexed even 2 character words, but had an exception list to ignore common articles and prepositions like "at, an, to, if, the, ..." - maybe consider acronyms in upper case as indexable.
I'm trying to think of some two letter words/acronyms that would really be worth searching. There is a limit to our disk space here.

Brian Austin said:
I'm trying to think of some two letter words/acronyms that would really be worth searching. There is a limit to our disk space here.
AD

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Too general. Searching for all ADs on the site would give a wide variety of responses. You'd be better off searching for "prop", "landing gear", "cylinder", or whatever to narrow up the results.

FYI--searching three letter words is now permitted and functional.

FYI--searching three letter words is now permitted and functional.

I missed your post about this, Jesse, but figured it out, quite by accident, when I searched for something with 3 characters and YES!!! I GOT RESULTS!

Thanks, man! BRAVO!

Back