Seaplaning over Lake Como

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Since this is about FLYING I thought I'd start the topic - 4 weeks from today I'm taking my Mom on her first trip to Italy and we start in Varenna (Lake Como). We're going seaplaning! I found out about this place about a month ago, and since then saw a brief piece on the Travel Channel - there is a show called "1000 places to see before you die" (based on the book) and they highlighted the seaplaning there. Apparently Lake Como is the deepest lake in Europe (gotta check to make sure that's correct) and this outfit is one of the few places to seaplane there - for a fee, anyway. I'm sure you can seaplane yourself - assuming you can afford the plane, gas, etc.

That part is depressing, if true - the only place to commercially seaplane, in Europe? I had oodles of opps to do so in Canada a few summers ago.

Last edited:
Soooooo friking jealous.

I think that they also have a pretty liberal solo rental policy.
I've been trying to find a place that will let me solo their seaplane for months now. Twitchnells, in Maine requires 10 hours in a 172 SES (my time is all PA-18) and the outfit in Minnesota requires 1200 dollars of insurance.

Have fun, and if anybody has a seaplane they would let me solo.....:rolleyes:

I believe I saw a writeup on Lake Como in AOPA sometime in the past ... looked AWESOME! Color me green with envy! Hope you have a ball!

I think I saw a write-up on this place in either AOPA Magazing or Plane and Pilot. I'm spending fall semester studying abroad in Rome, and getting my ASES, or at least a few rides at this place is definitely on my to-do list.

Could you get a CFI to go up with you and log some SES time? Also buy the "So You Want To Fly Seaplanes" dvd from sportys. Just to give you an idea of what its like.

I believe it is the ONLY place on the planet you can rent a Lake Amphib. I was picking mine up from annual in FL last year and they were boxing up a newly refurbished Buccaneer to ship to Italy. Have fun!

Soooooo friking jealous.

I think that they also have a pretty liberal solo rental policy.
I've been trying to find a place that will let me solo their seaplane for months now. Twitchnells, in Maine requires 10 hours in a 172 SES (my time is all PA-18) and the outfit in Minnesota requires 1200 dollars of insurance.

Have fun, and if anybody has a seaplane they would let me solo.....:rolleyes:

Give the folks at Sky Harbor Airport, Duluth, MN a call. I looked into getting my seaplane rating from those guys, and I seem to recall someone there saying that thye solo out their planes... They have a couple of cubs on floats that they use, and the rates seemed pretty reasonable as well...

Back