SeaPlane Performance

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
I'm not rated but just had a question,

When you're sitting on a lake how do you know there's enough space to clear the trees on the far side? Does the book provide numbers or do you just 'eyeball' it with experience?

If numbers are provided how do you account for water conditions? Glass, chop, swells, ect?

If numbers are not provided then what happens on a check ride? How would an examiner test your ability to determine if you can safely launch from a particular spot with a given weight and DA?

I have a feeling the answer Is going to be something overly simplistic.

Oh, goody....an opportunity to learn something new today :)

Would have to look in the PTS to remember the checkride task. Performance varies charts aren't that useful. A seaplane can land shorter then you can takeoff, better know you can before you land. Forgot the details but there are some time based abort techniques. You can get on the step crosswind/downwind and turn into the wind at speed, or wait until it is colder, or choppier(smooth water lengthens takeoff.) It is a problem without a textbook solution(funny how some pilots hate that.)

Experience and estimation. Have you seen "runway data" on any small lakes yet? You get POH figures for water run, but what does one look up to see if one has the room? :dunno: The DPE checks you on proper technique.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know a guy who landed a Lake in a retention pond near his girlfriend's condo. Eventually he called Lake (back when it was still a company) for a ferry pilot to get it out for him. For a while he thought he'd have to take the wings off and truck it.

Back