Seaplane(?) down in Tampa Bay

Everything you need to know is in the article.
The Searey amphibious airplane, which can land in the water on its belly, went into the water just before 11:30 a.m. Monday, said Tampa police Lt. Jack Diaz.
“As we were responding, we got a call from witnesses saying they had rescued the two individuals,” he said. “We were on our way out there, but they got there first.
The crash appeared to be pilot error, he said.
“The pilot said it was his fault,” Diaz said. “He was trying to fly close to the water and his landing gear was down. It hit the water and the airplane flipped.”

Ah, article has been updated since I first looked. Just had a short few blurbs before. Thanks. :)

Everything you need to know is in the article.
The Searey amphibious airplane, which can land in the water on its belly, went into the water just before 11:30 a.m. Monday, said Tampa police Lt. Jack Diaz.
“As we were responding, we got a call from witnesses saying they had rescued the two individuals,” he said. “We were on our way out there, but they got there first.
The crash appeared to be pilot error, he said.
“The pilot said it was his fault,” Diaz said. “He was trying to fly close to the water and his landing gear was down. It hit the water and the airplane flipped.”

I guess I'm looking at the picture wrong, because that looks like a photo of a float, not a hull. Sea Ray doesn't come with floats.

EP-141009418.jpg

That's a bummer. The PIC was evaluating the plane for purchase.

Would the seller's insurance cover that?

That is the Wing of a Searey laterally with the nose poking up in the middle.

Back