Seaplane and Boat Wake

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
What is the best course of action should a boat cut in front of you and a large boat wake is now coming your way. Aircraft plowing through water float type and heading direct into the wake.

What is the best course of action should a boat cut in front of you and a large boat wake is now coming your way. Aircraft plowing through water float type and heading direct into the wake.

With full up elevator, use its water rudders to use any kinetic energy the seaplane has to bring the bows about 45 degrees into the oncoming wake, while cutting the engine completely to avoid a prop strike while it's still turning under power and then restart when safety permits.

Last edited:
With full up elevator, use its water rudders to use any kinetic energy the seaplane has to bring the bows about 45 degrees into the oncoming wake, while cutting the engine completely to avoid a prop strike while it's still turning under power and then restart when safety permits.

I recommend firing your missiles at the offender to prevent a recurrence as well.

How big? Super tanker 10 foot high wake? or a 2 foot tall wake? I'd Add power, hold the nose up, and plow thru. get airborn and buzz that sucker.:)

How big? Super tanker 10 foot high wake? or a 2 foot tall wake? I'd Add power, hold the nose up, and plow thru. get airborn and buzz that sucker.:)

That's one real good way to crack a seaplane prop and lose your retaliatory advantage. Hopefully it would then fall off before the aircraft became airborne...

Last edited:

Also depends on if your flying a t-crate or a Otter maybe a Beech 18!

Back