Sean's first handgun

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Well, my boy surprised me. Back in January Cathy, Sean, and I were window shopping at a local gun store (French Creek Outfitters, for the locals) starting our study of what hunting rifle/caliber we'd like to buy. Sean started getting all upset because he saw a Ruger Bearcat, a little .22 single action revolver, that he REALLY, REALLY, REALLY I'LL BE A GOOD BOY FOREVER wanted. He's got a single shot rifle, so I wasn't exactly jumping in line to buy a handgun when what I really wanted was a rifle. Figured I'd calm him by telling him that if he saved his allowance until he had $100, Mommy and Daddy would each match him and we'd all share it, which meant quite a bit of saving for a six year old who gets $5 a week, and has to buy his own fancy (defined in Daddy's dictionary as over $5) toys. "Promise, Daddy?" Yup.

Well, be darned. Last week, he informs us that he's got $120 (he'd picked up a couple extra bucks doing some work for a neighbor), enough to cover taxes Boy does learn quick, though we didn't make him cover taxes or the extra $30. I figured he'd saved his $100, and hasn't bought anything for himself in months, that's good enough. We knew he had the money saved up, of course. Placed a call and ordered the gun, and THEN came the hardest waiting of the whole darn time... you'da thunk a couple days was all of eternity to the poor guy LOL. Finally, off to French Creek Outfitters to get his prize.

It's a nice little gun, and I've been enjoying teaching him how to handle it. He's been surprised how much easier it is to let the muzzle get out of control than it is with his rifle. I don't feel like driving through what looks to be crappy weather to AOPA this weekend, so hopefully we'll get to try it out instead. Off to Quakertown, assuming that range is still there!

Yes, Anthony, I know French Creek Outfitters costs a bit more, but I like them. They have been great about letting us handle all their guns window shopping, give good service, and so I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks. Besides, Chadd's Ford is too darn far to drive.

Pretty proud of the boy, saving like that at his age. Hard work. I didn't think he'd do it. Hopefully, he'll learn the value of saving for things he wants, which is also why he buys toys over $5. He has to save. I know there are those who think 6 y/o is too young to be shooting, but I firmly believe that with guns in the house it's best to teach them right as soon as you can. By saving for "his" gun, he's demonstrated more maturity than many adults nowadays. As another thread reminded me, when I was his age I was hunting critters for dinner. He doesn't have to do that, but trips to the range are invaluable bonding time for the whole family, even (dare I say it) better than flying.

Last edited:
Do you shoot Skeet by any chance Joe?

I would love to find pilots that shoot skeet?

CapeCodJay said:

Never got into shotgun shooting much. Mostly pistols and rifles. Good shotguns cost an arm and a leg!!

I've said it before, Joe, and I'll say it again - that's a pretty good kid you've got there. ;)

etsisk said:
I've said it before, Joe, and I'll say it again - that's a pretty good kid you've got there. ;)

Indeed. Sounds like he's got a couple parents who are doing a bang up job of raising him, too.

Alright, what's with someone one starring this thread? Come on now. Yeesh.

Anyhow, sounds like the boy has a great head on his shoulders, already knows how to save (not getting into credit yet ;) ) and willing to learn how to handle all of his firearms with respect. Don't forget to take some photos at the range Joe!

(Edit: Five starred to offset the rate-happy person.)

I was given my first gun.. a bolt action .22 rifle when I was 5 years old. When I was about 6 or 7 years old I was given a semi auto .22 rifle. Somewhere around 9 years old I was taught how to handle and shoot a .45 semi auto hand gun...and a 12 gauge shot gun...I remember having bruises from the shotgun.

For several summers all I did was hunt birds....and had the time of my life.

I turned out OK. Never shot anyone. I also have the highest respect for a gun since I was taught that since day one. Not once in my life did I ever have the experience of picking up a gun and not knowing anything about it...This is how people get killed.

My first rifle was an M16. Followed shortly thereafter by an M60, an M2HB, an M240 and then a CAR 16. Once I proved I could hit stuff I got an M68 (trivia question....what's an M68?). Last rifle was an M16A2. Never had a firearm as a kid but can't imagine a better responsibility tool. Never point at what you don't intend to shoot.

Sounds great Joe - that's a nice little target gun, very little recoil and very good way to teach the basics of trigger control. Ruger makes a good product - what size barrell does it have?

Fast n' Furious said:
My first rifle was an M16. Followed shortly thereafter by an M60, an M2HB, an M240 and then a CAR 16. Once I proved I could hit stuff I got an M68 (trivia question....what's an M68?)

Well, technically it isn't a rifle is it, if it is chambered for 9MM? ;)

Unless you had a howitzer?!? :eek:

The M68 was the 105 mm main gun for the M60A3 and the M-1 tank. It was not particularly good for plinking anything smaller than your average truck. It which case the M2 and the 240 were available with fairly good effect. Other than that I sure would have liked a Red Ryder BB gun as a kid.

I had a red ryder BB gun as a kid. Only thing I was allowed to use until I was 16. For this I am jealous of Joe's son :D

Last edited:
Joe Williams said:
Never got into shotgun shooting much. Mostly pistols and rifles. Good shotguns cost an arm and a leg!!

Remington 870... :)

Sean's a lucky kid. The only guns I got to play with as a child were fake toy guns.....boring!

wbarnhill said:
BLASPHEMY! He's a witch! Burn him!

(Cue Holy Grail sketch)

Sir Bedevere: There are ways of telling whether she is a witch.
Peasant 1: Are there? Oh well, tell us.
Sir Bedevere: Tell me. What do you do with witches?
Peasant 1: Burn them.
Sir Bedevere: And what do you burn, apart from witches?
Peasant 1: More witches.
Peasant 2: Wood.
Sir Bedevere: Good. Now, why do witches burn?
Peasant 3: ...because they're made of... wood?
Sir Bedevere: Good. So how do you tell whether she is made of wood?
Peasant 1: Build a bridge out of her.
Sir Bedevere: But can you not also build bridges out of stone?
Peasant 1: Oh yeah.
Sir Bedevere: Does wood sink in water?
Peasant 1: No, no, it floats!... It floats! Throw her into the pond!
Sir Bedevere: No, no. What else floats in water?
Peasant 1: Bread.
Peasant 2: Apples.
Peasant 3: Very small rocks.
Peasant 1: Cider.
Peasant 2: Gravy.
Peasant 3: Cherries.
Peasant 1: Mud.
Peasant 2: Churches.
Peasant 3: Lead! Lead!
King Arthur: A Duck.
Sir Bedevere: ...Exactly. So, logically...
Peasant 1: If she weighed the same as a duck... she's made of wood.
Sir Bedevere: And therefore...
Peasant 2: ...A witch!

Last edited:
Jason,

I did long time ago and if I had time I would love to get back in to it. I just got a bird dog and again if I get time I would like to train her.

Chris,

870 great gun.

Bob

CapeCodJay said:

I used to shoot what I think you guys term Sporting Clays - like skeet, but set to simulate different game birds etc.

The Feds kinda get nervous about letting us troublesome immigrant types have shotguns around the house tho...so haven't shot at a clay in probably 12 years...

Joe Williams said:
Yes, Anthony, I know French Creek Outfitters costs a bit more, but I like them. They have been great about letting us handle all their guns window shopping, give good service, and so I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks. Besides, Chadd's Ford is too darn far to drive.

Heh, Heh, Heh. I used to shoot at the indoor range at French Creek. I like that store too, but I find myself buying all my guns on line now. I have a guy here in Centennial that does the transfers/background checks for $10.

The Bearcat is an EXCELLENT choice for Sean. Single action, light, small and its a .22 so no recoil and you can shoot all day for cheap. Good job Joe.

Back