SDHC Card- How is it different from SD?

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
I got an 8 GB SD card yesterday- nothing seems to talk to it (it fits in the slot).

It is a Sandisk and SDHC is printed in it (rather than just SD)-

Do I have a bad one, or is this just not compatible with my computer, digital camera, and PDA?

Thanks much!

I am using it in a computer with an adapter to read a variety of cards, a Windows Mobile PDA, and a digital camera.

The camera gave an error that "This card can not be used". Win XP tried reading the card and returned an I/O error. The PDA just ingnored the card. No way to get to formatting it in any of the devices.

Sounds like a driver or interface issue. Did the chip come with any software? If not, then you may need to get a USB device with the SDHC logo on it. And cameras may need a firmware update to work with the card, if they can at all.

Is it the standard size SD card, a mini card or the micro card?

The card is fine- I just have old stuff. I downloaded some drivers for the PC for the card reader- one of them updated the firmware in the reader for cards with larger capacity. I can now read/write to the card.

It is pre-formatted - it works like a memory stick.. Now- to see if the AXIM has an upgrade...

Thanks for the help!
-->Jack

Good call Tim!
I use Mac's, so I have yet to encounter a driver issue.

Let's see what happens when your Macs become 6 years old. I was rather surprised I could get updated drivers for the PC. Also, the card reader worked just fine. I was pleasantly surprised I could update the firmware for that as well.

Let's see what happens when your Macs become 6 years old. I was rather surprised I could get updated drivers for the PC. Also, the card reader worked just fine. I was pleasantly surprised I could update the firmware for that as well.

You'll lose. 8 year old Macs can run the (I think) 2 year old Mac OS X operating system with all of the updates, and THAT limit is only because Apple switched to Intel (only) versions in the last release.

Also updates are a little easier since the underlying Unix drivers are pretty much the same in all of the OS X versions.

You'll lose. 8 year old Macs can run the (I think) 2 year old Mac OS X operating system with all of the updates, and THAT limit is only because Apple switched to Intel (only) versions in the last release.

Also updates are a little easier since the underlying Unix drivers are pretty much the same in all of the OS X versions.

Why will I lose? The issue was one of hardware compatibility with a newer type of memory card. The hardware reader took an updated firmware and all was well.

The PC works for me and will do so for the forseeable future. I really don't understand the thinking of some of the Mac proponents. It's a computer already. It's not like it's a Ford Trimotor, DC-3, or another classic plane.

Actually..... I still use a 1998 G3/333 Beige Box running OS 9.2.2.
The only problem is my browser, Mozilla 1.5 does not support current JAVA script.
AppleWorks and PhotoShop 5 still function.

Last edited:
Actually..... I still use a 1998 G3/333 Beige Box running OS 9.2.2.
The only problem is my browser, Mozilla 1.5 does not support current JAVA script.
AppleWorks and PhotoShop 5 still function.

Yep. And my Timex Sinclair 1000 still works fine too.

Thanks, Scott. I appreciate beling led back to the source.

Back