Screaming Pink ???

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
Just got back from giving the dog his noon-time walk. You won't believe what we saw.....or maybe you will. A neighbor's maltese is now 100%
"screaming pink" instead of white! :yikes: I'm a dog lover and will put bandanas and sometimes a hat on a dog, but dye the dogs fur....are you kidding???? :skeptical:

Pictures or it never happened. :D

Just got back from giving the dog his noon-time walk. You won't believe what we saw.....or maybe you will. A neighbor's maltese is now 100%
"screaming pink" instead of white! :yikes: I'm a dog lover and will put bandanas and sometimes a hat on a dog, but dye the dogs fur....are you kidding???? :skeptical:

That's nothing!

attachment.php

Attachments

• poodles_1442062i.jpg
    poodles_1442062i.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 166
Not even as weird as all the women with striped hair, as least in my eyes.

Even the pooch in the school girl costume will tease them.:lol:
Nah....dogs don't see color.

Just wait until someone gets a dog to express green fluorescent protein...

...like someone did to these mice:
green_brown_mice_1.jpg

Imagine your dog flowing green.

You can already buy GloFish- with green, orange, and red fluorescent protein:

glo-fish-fluorescent.jpg

Aren't dogs colorblind? :confused:

Hopefully they are...

The dogs probably like it just fine, they get that much more attention, which is something normal dogs like. Its not like they have sensitive dispositions, they eat their own scat for Odin's sake!

The day-glo mice are made so by the incorporation of a jellyfish protein called the Green fluorescent protein, or GFP. It hurts them not at all, and makes them very valuable research tools. I imagine the fish are made similarly, using GFP variants that give off light of other wavelengths. All of them do so in response to UV. The fish are Danios, and probably started life in research labs somewhere, as GFP is commonly used in Zebrafish research.

I've heard of dyeing dogs. I've not seen it myself. Seems like a stupid thing to do, IMHO.

The dogs probably like it just fine, they get that much more attention, which is something normal dogs like. Its not like they have sensitive dispositions, they eat their own scat for Odin's sake!

The day-glo mice are made so by the incorporation of a jellyfish protein called the Green fluorescent protein, or GFP. It hurts them not at all, and makes them very valuable research tools. I imagine the fish are made similarly, using GFP variants that give off light of other wavelengths. All of them do so in response to UV. The fish are Danios, and probably started life in research labs somewhere, as GFP is commonly used in Zebrafish research.
You are correct on the fish as well as the mice. Before the GloFish came out (Why didn't I think of that?!), we used zebrafish embryos expressing GFP as part of a microscopy course at Woods Hole. These were left over from some other study involving gene expression and growth. They engineered fluorescent protein to emit light at a variety of wavelengths so multiple protein expression can be simutaneously studies. There is also a red fluorescent protein from a coral commonly used.

Another light-emitting protein, luciferase, was developed in my lab at UCSD and is widely used in cancer research. It emits light when its substrate, luciferin, is added and its activity can be precisely quantified.

Another light-emitting protein, luciferase, was developed in my lab at UCSD and is widely used in cancer research. It emits light when its substrate, luciferin, is added and its activity can be precisely quantified.
So we can do even better! Get the dog (or other pet) to express the luciferase. They only glow when they eat the chow only available from our company that contains the substrate. Now, if someone breeds the animal, it won't glow unless they buy our GloChow...and we make money over the animal's lifetime, not just at purchase and we have some protection against unscrupulous breeders.

Where's my patent form?...

GFP is better for that application, because all you have to do to make the animal glow is shine a UV light (like a black light) on it. I know cloning dogs is really tricky, but I don't know much about transgenics.

Ok, so what's worse then? Doggie clothes, doggie costumes, or dyed doggies?

Do I even have to ask?
hello-kitty-Chihuahua-400x266.jpg

GFP is better for that application, because all you have to do to make the animal glow is shine a UV light (like a black light) on it. I know cloning dogs is really tricky, but I don't know much about transgenics.
But you don't make any money on the GloChow with the luciferin in it. One the dog expresses the gene, you can get it to breed true (like those mice or GloFish) without cloning.

It's like razors and razor blades- the pet is like the razor; the special food needed to make them glow is like the razor blade.

But you don't make any money on the GloChow with the luciferin in it. One the dog expresses the gene, you can get it to breed true (like those mice or GloFish) without cloning.

It's like razors and razor blades- the pet is like the razor; the special food needed to make them glow is like the razor blade.

This may not always be the case. GFP or luciferase hooked up to strong genetic control elements can certainly function in a strain-independent manner in mice. I see no reason why the same would not be true in dogs. So long as the introduced luciferase or GFP transgene is inherited (which will be 1/2 of the time) it should function. The one caveat is that weaker transgenes can indeed be influenced by modifier genes, other alleles in the organism that can interact with the transgene. But not every transgene will be so affected.

This may not always be the case. GFP or luciferase hooked up to strong genetic control elements can certainly function in a strain-independent manner in mice. I see no reason why the same would not be true in dogs. So long as the introduced luciferase or GFP transgene is inherited (which will be 1/2 of the time) it should function. The one caveat is that weaker transgenes can indeed be influenced by modifier genes, other alleles in the organism that can interact with the transgene. But not every transgene will be so affected.
Looks like we're too late...GFP and RFP kitties:
red-cat.jpg

RFP puppy:
ap_dog_fluorescence_090428_ssh.jpg

For a complete menagerie for transgenic glow-in-the-dark critters, including pigs and monkeys, go here:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...south-korea-glowing-animals_11829_600x450.jpg

I like the glow in the dark drawing with various bacteria. RFP = red fluorescent protein

My cousin dyes her Maltese plum purple all the time!!

Back