Scott Migaldi - you o.k.?

I think he was headed to Hong Kong which is an island, not part of mainland China.
Well, HK was part of the mainland before the quake. :hairraise: But that quake was a few bazillion years ago....

-Skip

Yep I am fine. All we got where I am (Macao) were some rumbles and little sway no damage as far as I can tell.

We were clueless as to what happened until CNN broke the news, then finally CCTV came alive with information. Looks really bad! According to CCTV (China news television) there is a huge response being mounted. I have heard from a few colleagues in Beijing and Tianjin and they are also ok, again just some rumbles for them.

Yep I am fine. All we got where I am (Macao) were some rumbles and little sway no damage as far as I can tell.

We were clueless as to what happened until CNN broke the news, then finally CCTV came alive with information. Looks really bad! According to CCTV (China news television) there is a huge response being mounted. I have heard from a few colleagues in Beijing and Tianjin and they are also ok, again just some rumbles for them.

And the word at work is that our facility in Chengdu (sp?) is fine. But, like all our buildings, it was built to survive such a shake. Bad news for most in the area, however.

And the word at work is that our facility in Chengdu (sp?) is fine. But, like all our buildings, it was built to survive such a shake. Bad news for most in the area, however.
That is good. CCTV is really controlling the message and western news sources are not there directly, so expect a spun story for now. For instance the word that the central government is there en mass and is handling everything in an efficient manner is, well, beyond belief of any one who has ever experienced the tiniest part of Chinese bureaucracy.

I heard some report "from the ground" by a Western reporter on the radio this morning (BBC, I think), and they noted a big problem with local responses, as opposed to anything mounted by the central government... but I'm sure the wheels are turning slowly in Beijing.

They also noted that in many areas, huge boulders had come down out of the mountains, blocking key roads, which will make it that much harder to get personnel and materials in. And of course now it's raining heavily up there... what a mess.

I heard some report "from the ground" by a Western reporter on the radio this morning (BBC, I think), and they noted a big problem with local responses, as opposed to anything mounted by the central government... but I'm sure the wheels are turning slowly in Beijing.

They also noted that in many areas, huge boulders had come down out of the mountains, blocking key roads, which will make it that much harder to get personnel and materials in. And of course now it's raining heavily up there... what a mess.
Driving between major cities in China is not anything like any other country. There is basically no interstate system. A few of the cities in the east have new highways or toll roads connecting them but it is rare. It most certainly is not out in the west where Chengdu is located.

Man, I just saw on my Yahoo! homepage that there are over 12,000 dead and over 18,000 still buried just in one city... how horrible!

Man, I just saw on my Yahoo! homepage that there are over 12,000 dead and over 18,000 still buried just in one city... how horrible!
It is most likely worse than that. Remember this is state run media and the Chi-coms are fully in charge of the information that is getting out. Be very suspicious of any information you are getting.

It is most likely worse than that. Remember this is state run media and the Chi-coms are fully in charge of the information that is getting out. Be very suspicious of any information you are getting.

Are you still in China? If so, do you have a freaking deathwish, Scott? I dunno, my understanding is that just making the statements you've made could result in a nice visit from the gov't.

Are you still in China? If so, do you have a freaking deathwish, Scott? I dunno, my understanding is that just making the statements you've made could result in a nice visit from the gov't.
Yes I am still in China. They pretty much leave gweilo's (foreigners) alone. Being critical of the new emperors is not a problem unless you start preaching to the populace or speak to the radio and TV people.

That is good. CCTV is really controlling the message and western news sources are not there directly, so expect a spun story for now. For instance the word that the central government is there en mass and is handling everything in an efficient manner is, well, beyond belief of any one who has ever experienced the tiniest part of Chinese bureaucracy.

So, it'll be even worse than our own government's response to Katrina? Wow. :eek:

Just a little update. I am obviously back int he US and have been for sometime. Turns out that one of my colleagues, who works for a different company, was in Chengdu (where the quake was) leaving the day before the quake.

Last night we we catching up with each other and chatting about travel as standards people are want to do. He mentioned that their local rep is missing. The local rep lives in Chengdu and no one has been able to reach him since the quake.

These disasters may be far away but their victims can be close by.

Back