Scorpion Sting....yay

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So this was fun...(2 medical matters posts in one day...ouch).

I take my dog for a walk, while putting on my shoe, I feel a sharp pain. No problem, its probably just glass, I get it in my shoes quite a bit. While out, my foot start itching really badly.

I let Piper off his leash and let him run for a bit while I sit on a stump. I'm noticing the pain is still there, and my foot is tingling a bit. That's not glass. I figure its from the mosquitoes yesterday down by the lake.

I get home, jump on flashchat, and it starts really bothering me, so I inspect it a bit. I see a definite inflammation on my ankle, veins popping out. That's not good. Skin looks wrinkly and weird, so I do some google searching and determine it kind of looks like a scorpion sting.

I call poison control to figure out what I should do, and am told "Your foot will go numb, this is normal. The numbness will spread to other parts of your body. This is also normal. You may feel a bit sick, this is normal. If you start to twitch, you need to go to the ER. You can go to sleep if you want to, if you are having problems, you'll wake up."

Not very comforting, but hey, they know what they're talking about. So yay, my first scorpion sting. I'll get a pic of my ankle in a sec.

Good news, Nick. Very few people die of scorpion stings,
It says on emedicine that only 1000 people in Mexico die each year from these...roughly twice the number of GA deaths in the US if that helps you get it into perspective!

Treatments:
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2081.htm#section~differentials

Don't forget, when living in the SW, shake out those boots before you pull em on, could be a snake in there! (PS I was cleaning a cowling today and found a next of black widows!)

I sure hope it "goes away."

Where do you walk your dog that you get glass in your shoes quite a bit? Doesn't Piper step on broken glass?

John, Nick is employed in the glass business.

As opposed to Monkey Business.

With which he is also very familiar.

But, seeing as how: (1) Nick can crush me like a bug; and (2) I am gonna see him in less than two weeks; I'd better be nice.

Well, the pain has been reduced to a minor irritation now, after a good night's sleep. I feel a little crappy, but that's it.

Scorpions are sissies. I could get stung by a bunch!!*

* Nick does not want to get stung again.

Ok Nick.

Piper has a heath problem, go see the vet.

Nick has a heath problem, go to the internet.

You have some messed up priorities.

Missa

Ok Nick.

Missa

LOL. I have no health insurance. The vet is cheap. Doctors are expensive.

What can I say? When I got Piper I took a responsibility to ensure he's ok. For myself? I'll always bounce back, as long as I don't lose a limb.

LOL. I have no health insurance. The vet is cheap. Doctors are expensive.

What can I say? When I got Piper I took a responsibility to ensure he's ok. For myself? I'll always bounce back, as long as I don't lose a limb.
Heck, just go to the vet for yourself as well. The plumbing isn't too much different, is it? Although, I don't paw the carpet or side of the sofa like my cat does.

:goofy:

Ok Nick.

Missa
Lesee. building an airplane. no health insurance. hmmmn.....

Friend of mine moved to San Antonio. He failed to learn lessons 1 and 2 in advance:

1) Shake out boots before putting them on
2) Make sure underwear is put away immediately after removal from dryer and that dresser drawer is closed tightly. Then shake out underwear before putting on.

He learned these two lessons the very painful way (especially lesson #2).

Friend of mine moved to San Antonio. He failed to learn lessons 1 and 2 in advance:

1) Shake out boots before putting them on
2) Make sure underwear is put away immediately after removal from dryer and that dresser drawer is closed tightly. Then shake out underwear before putting on.

He learned these two lessons the very painful way (especially lesson #2).

Tango Mike India. :rofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back