Score One for Flight Following

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
:yes:I always use flight following. On my flight today, MEM Center called traffic at 6 miles at ten o:clock, predicted targets to merge, same altitude unverified. I descended 2K feet and watched a polished aluminum bird pass directly overhead. We would definitly been very close had one of us not changed something. This is the second very similar experience for me.

Graueradler said:
:yes:I always use flight following. On my flight today, MEM Center called traffic at 6 miles at ten o:clock, predicted targets to merge, same altitude unverified. I descended 2K feet and watched a polished aluminum bird pass directly overhead. We would definitly been very close had one of us not changed something. This is the second very similar experience for me.

DOES ANYBODY FOLLOW THE 'ODD / EVEN PLUS FIVE HUNDRED' RULE??????

Pjsmith said:

Some do. Some don't. Sometimes you would like to but can't (staying under the floor of some airspace..etc)...Also the other aircraft could be climbing or descending through your altitude. You can't really count on it.

Pjsmith said:

We both were. I was at 8500 on a heading of ~250 and he was at 8500 on a heading of ~ 350.

I do...it is drilled into me by my instructor.

I still check with NeOdd and Sweven. The Flite Tech tapes.

Deviation from the rules had nothing to do with this particular event - or am I totally confused?

i go by that rule...i get bitched at EVERY time by the controllers in the airspace if fly through for not doing so...mainly atlantic city appr.

so i just do it now so i dont have to hear it

Ant

SupraPilot said:
i go by that rule...i get bitched at EVERY time by the controllers in the airspace if fly through for not doing so...mainly atlantic city appr.

so i just do it now so i dont have to hear it

Ant
The controllers are "bitching" at you because you are ignoring 91.159 of the Federal Aviation Regulations which states
FAR said:
Sec. 91.159 - VFR cruising altitude or flight level.
Except while holding in a holding pattern of 2 minutes or less, or while turning, each person operating an aircraft under VFR in level cruising flight more than 3,000 feet above the surface shall maintain the appropriate altitude or flight level prescribed below, unless otherwise authorized by ATC:
(a) When operating below 18,000 feet MSL and --
(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 3,500, 5,500, or 7,500); or
(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any even thousand foot MSL altitude +500 feet (such as 4,500, 6,500, or 8,500).
(b) When operating above 18,000 feet MSL to flight level 290 (inclusive) and --
(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any odd flight level +500 feet (such as 195, 215, or 235); or
(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any even flight level +500 feet (such as 185, 205, or 225).
(c) When operating above flight level 290 and --
(1) On a magnetic course of zero degrees through 179 degrees, any flight level, at 4,000-foot intervals, beginning at and including flight level 300 (such as flight level 300, 340, or 380); or
(2) On a magnetic course of 180 degrees through 359 degrees, any flight level, at 4,000-foot intervals, beginning at and including flight level 320 (such as flight level 320, 360, or 400).

Not only is this a regulation that you must follow. It is a move of absolute stupidity not to. Unless you have some odd reason (avoiding chicago class B airspace, etc).

Why would you choose to ignore a regulation that is there to protect you, me, and innocent people on the ground?

I never fly at the correct +500 level, I find it much more entertaining to live life on the edge that way.

Back