Science at Work

Frank Browne

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
FB
A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon!!!!!

:cheers:

Hah! I drink more beer than average (I homebrew), so my back of the paper figuring, I probably drink 30/35G of beer a year. (1 BBL... oh my).

Assuming I walk average, that's 900 miles.

But, I also put 3500 miles on my road bike last year.

So, 4400 miles... I'm getting 129 MPG! Given that, I think I could easily drive a sulfur belching coal steam locomotive and still be ahead of the curve :yes:

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hah! I drink more beer than average (I homebrew), so my back of the paper figuring, I probably drink 30/35G of beer a year. (1 BBL... oh my). Snip...

Andrew, a barrel is 15.5 gallons (domestic) so that's 2 barrels a year! Keep practicing! :cheers:

Andrew, a barrel is 15.5 gallons (domestic) so that's 2 barrels a year! Keep practicing! :cheers:

Doug in Taunton... what's up man? Welcome to PoA.

A 15.5 G keg (frequently referred to as one barrel) isn't actually 1 BBL. 1 BBL is 1.173 HL, or 31 G.

Cheers,

-Andrew
hardcore beer nerd

Ugh. Got me on a technicality. I knew that, after 18 years in the beer biz, but went with the common vernacular of calling a 1/2 bbl a full bbl. Should have known better with a homebrewer.

Thanks for the welcome. Are you in Boston proper or nearby?

Ugh. Got me on a technicality. I knew that, after 18 years in the beer biz, but went with the common vernacular of calling a 1/2 bbl a full bbl. Should have known better with a homebrewer.

Thanks for the welcome. Are you in Boston proper or nearby?

We're a bunch of pedantic folks here :D

I'm out west, live in Uxbridge, about 30 minutes from Taunton. Used to live in Middleboro...

You build draft systems? I'm working on a new draft system for a friend...

Cheers,

-Andrew
who's brewing 35G of beer on Saturday

I used to till about 3 years ago. I did it all, air, glycol, air blenders, Guinness, portable units. I worked for a beer distributor so I did a lot of on-site stuff. The Irish Fest at Stonehill college was a fun one. My brother has my old job so I can still get parts when I need them.

I used to pass through Uxbridge on my way to Triumph Day every year.

I see you fly out of Bedford. I did aero and tailwheel there over the summer. There's an article in this month's AOPA Pilot about Executive Flyers.

35 Gallons on Saturday, huh? I've got a new friend :D

I used to till about 3 years ago. I did it all, air, glycol, air blenders, Guinness, portable units. I worked for a beer distributor so I did a lot of on-site stuff. The Irish Fest at Stonehill college was a fun one. My brother has my old job so I can still get parts when I need them.

I used to pass through Uxbridge on my way to Triumph Day every year.

I see you fly out of Bedford. I did aero and tailwheel there over the summer. There's an article in this month's AOPA Pilot about Executive Flyers.

35 Gallons on Saturday, huh? I've got a new friend :D

I always seem to get new friends... but they are sure welcome!

We've got a:

Saison
Duvel clone
Anchor Steam clone
Pre-Prohibition Lager
Oktoberfest
Oatmeal Stout
Belgian Tripel

on deck. All 5G all grain batches; the lagers are step-mashes, everything else is a straight single-infusion mash.

In a few weeks, we're going to do our Belgian Bomb - a quadrupiel styled Belgian; will sit on oak for a few months before going to bottle for a February uncorking. We'll do 10G of that.

Cheers,

-Andrew

A 2006 study found that the average American walks about 900 miles a year.

Another study found that Americans drink an average of 22 gallons of beer a year.

That means, on average, Americans get about 41 miles per gallon!!!!!

:cheers:

On a side note... Here is the difference between an ordinary person and a scientist... (courtesy xkcd.com)

the_difference.png

Last edited:
Back