Sci-Fi Channel at my airport...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I went out to NW Regional (52F) last night, and one of the hangars has this new sign on it, "Master Blasters". At first I thought maybe they did sand-blasting or something, but the large number of production lights, cameras, people, cars, external A/C units running yellow hoses into holes cut into the back of the hangar, etc. told me otherwise. The people outside said they were filming a new reality-TV show for the Sci-Fi channel that will air starting in July.

The lobby of the building had a snapshot book... looks like they've built rockets (BIG rockets) and launched them, they did something with some pretty MG Coopers and a big ramp out in a field, and the MG's weren't all that pretty when they got done. Last night they had lined one of the taxiways with big lights, were hosing down the taxiway, and as soon as it got dark out came two identical Cadillac SUVs (you can see one of them in this photo), the camera crew, and lots of people... unfortunately, I had to leave (appointment) before I could find out what they were going to try that night.

From the photos, it appeared that only the filming and the "build your stuff" happens at the airfield... all of the launching and dangerous stuff was happening elsewhere.

http://www.scifi.com/masterblasters/

Man, and at first I thought the cameras were so AOPA could film me getting the Commander... (sigh)

Troy, are they going to be inhibiting flight operations at all?

That monkeyshines of "bright lights along the taxiway" always gets my attention.

By the same token, maybe it's big money for the airport's operations...

This show, Master Blasters, is finally airing. I see there are episodes on the Science channel (193 on DISH) right now!

Was filmed at my local airport, where they took over a hangar.

Ah, Science channel, not Sci-Fi. Makes more sense!

Current episode the teams have to launch a playhouse ("dorothy's house") in the air, rotate it 360 degrees three times in the air (horizontal spin during vertical ascent), and recover it successfully to the ground.

Most of them are using 4 rockets of 800+ lb. thrust each. BANG!!

I saw one episode where they opened a parachute on the ramp and it got wrapped around an airplane. You better watch out!

Back