Schools in NY Metro, Hudson Valley Area

Mike Marino

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Good afternoon,
I am looking at two different schools to obtain a private license. One is "Take Flight Aviation" at KMGJ and the other is the "Academy of Aviation" at KHPN. I am only 20 minutes from KHPN so that is the most convenient but I want the best learning experience. Any recommendations fore or against either would be appreciated.
Mike

Last edited:
Hi Mike. I basically posted the exact same question earlier today, lol.
I've looked into one of those schools as well but I suspect this is a pretty small community so I am reluctant to get too specific on names until I've been around a little longer. Hopefully we can get some good advice. Good luck.

I started at HPN and ended up at Fisher Aviation a KCDW. Cannot recommend them enough.

Brandon,
I too was interested in first obtaining the Sports Pilot Certificate but both schools said the do not offer that training.

I did my commercial with Take Flight. Very nice folks, unlike some schools it's run by people who actually have a clue about customer service. Downside, it's not cheap. Example, their DA40s are $160 an hour dry. DA20 and Warriors for $120. One possible benefit over HPN is you'll hardly ever have any delay for traffic and the practice area is 5 minutes away, so your time will be more efficient.

For both @Mike Marino and @Brandon Hicks

Before each of you gets too stuck in to initial flight training., you should make sure all is clear with your medical history. Many times future airmen such as yourself spend thousands on the initial training to get to the point that requires a FAA 3rd Class (or better) Medical Certificate. Then find out they have a major show stopping landmine in their history that creates a major roadblock in their training.

Which is why we advocate learning and gaining knowledge about the medical certification system before spending gobs of money on training.

I have created this post that should help you.

To gain confidence, and more importantly, knowledge, of what is involved with obtaining your first medical certificate, start by reviewing the instruction manual for MedXpress, the FAA's online form for applying for a medical. You can find that here: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/Content/Docs/MedXPressUsersGuide.pdf

Scroll down to page 24 of 36. This is where they ask about any medications you are currently taking (Question 17). If there are none, move to the next section. But if there are some, you will be asked to list the names, dosage, and frequency. Most medications are permitted. Some are not and will be a show stopper. Others may be an indicator of a medical item that the FAA will want to know more about. In many cases, the FAA will need a letter from your treating doctor that mention the medications, why they were prescribed, and how well they are helping you. During the examination, the Aviation Medical Examiner will ask questions about the medications and the doctors letter, fill in some blanks, and make notations on his side of the application form.

Now scroll down to page 26 or 36. This is the medical history section (Question 18). An important phrase here is "Have you ever in your life..." Review these items and see if any should be answered yes. If one or more is answered yes, then definitely do not go to an AME to obtain a medical certificate until you thoroughly know what the FAA is going to want to know about the item you checked as yes.

Some of these are minor and the documentation required is also minor. Others are big, BIG things, and while they might not be show stoppers, you will have to obtain more things that are the right things and in the right format and order in order to satisfy the FAA.

Again, do not go to an AME for a live exam until you know what it is the FAA wants.

How do you find out what the FAA wants? The best way is to have a consultation visit with an AME. This visit does not get reported to the FAA. All it is is a information gather visit with the medical examiner to find out what you need to obtain. If you are unable to find an AME in your area to do this, then reach out to Dr. Bruce Chien in Bolingbrook, IL, www.aeromedicaldoc.com Dr. Bruce is a member here and can answer your questions online. But direct emails are often more efficient and allow him to discuss things in a way he cannot on a public form.

Another important area of Question 18 is Question 18v. Alcohol and drug related motor vehicle actions. Question 18v asks about a history of “arrests or convictions involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug.” This would include arrests or convictions for offenses that were reduced to a lower offense, such as careless driving. This also includes offenses that were expunged by the courts after a certain time period. Pilots who have been ticketed for operating under the influence while driving a golf cart or a boat have also been required to report these offenses. Remember, your signature on the Form authorizes the FAA to search the National Drivers Register.

Do not try to lie or fib or skirt the issue here.... if you are found out... it is major bad voodoo.

Moving on, look at page 28 of 36 and Question 19, which asks questions about medical professionals. If all of your past doctor visits have been routine things with no major medical issues. Then the FAA will say all is good, thanks for telling us about the visits. But if there were visits for particular medical things, then additional explanations about the reason for the visit, and the doctor's findings will be needed.

However, as hinted throughout the Medical Certification forum, do not go for a "live" FAA medical examination until you are beyond 100% sure you will pass and will be issued your medical certificate before you leave the doctor's office. If there is any questions about your medical past or current medical situation, seek out an AME who will do a consultative visit so that you can review and learn. For more information about a consultative visit, see this post: http://tinyurl.com/ame-consult

I hope this helps you. Do continue to ask questions as you think of them.

Another question recently asked regarding flight medicals was "Of the three classes of medicals, which do I need for initial training?"

For 99% of flight students, a third class medical is what you should start with. The second and first classes are used for commercial pilots and airline transport pilots respectively. And you can always upgrade to those when you have achieved the experience and training that allows you be a Commercial Pilot or fly for one of the airlines.

Some "zero to hero" schools that are pipelines for flying careers ask for the higher class of medical in order to enroll. But if this isn't your path, then just stick with third class.

@AggieMike88 - I was reading another thread just this morning that must have been you because it was worded almost exactly the same. Great advise, thank you.

@Mike Marino - Do you mean KMGJ? If so, they mention the Sports Pilot's license on their website and I had a nice conversation with the owner the other day, seems like a very nice guy. I mentioned specifically that we were interested in starting with the Sport's License and he did not say that wasn't an option but he did say we would probably end up repeating a bit and that path would ultimately cost a bit more than going straight to the Private but given the situation with my wife and I and the chance that one (or both) of us may not make it through the full Private program, it seems worth the extra effort and expense to have a benchmark somewhere in the middle as I think there is a fair chance my wife may stop there and I'd still rather her have the sport's license than nothing. We sort of left it for a longer conversation following our intro flight, which I'm waiting on a callback to schedule.

The Kingston school I spoke to said right off the bat they did not offer Sports license.

because it was worded almost exactly the same. Great advise, thank you
Copy and Paste is a marvelous thing. Sales lots of time.

And yeah, I do have several "canned" items I share. Too often newer folks don't consider that their question(s) have been asked many times before and don't use the search function (or Google since that bot does scrub this site constantly). So repeating what I said before is the simplest way to share the info.

Maybe one day, much of this will get promoted to a sticky post (( meaningful glance in the general direction of @Mtns2Skies and other MC members ))

Last edited:
@Mike Marino - Do you mean KMGJ? If so, they mention the Sports Pilot's license on their website and I had a nice conversation with the owner the other day, seems like a very nice guy. I mentioned specifically that we were interested in starting with the Sport's License and he did not say that wasn't an option but he did say we would probably end up repeating a bit and that path would ultimately cost a bit more than going straight to the Private but given the situation with my wife and I and the chance that one (or both) of us may not make it through the full Private program, it seems worth the extra effort and expense to have a benchmark somewhere in the middle as I think there is a fair chance my wife may stop there and I'd still rather her have the sport's license than nothing. We sort of left it for a longer conversation following our intro flight, which I'm waiting on a callback to schedule.

The Kingston school I spoke to said right off the bat they did not offer Sports license.
Something that might be of interest to you concerning Sport Pilot....

One (of many) reasons schools don't offer Sport Pilot is because it would mean owning/maintaining another aircraft that fits the Light Sport Aircraft (LSA) criteria. And one that may not generate much revenue since the interest in Sport Pilot is less than Private Pilot. LSA aircraft by their definition have an upper weight limit that excluded many "production" aircraft that were already in the rental fleet.

But now the rules for LSA, and in particular the max weight limit, are in the progress of being revised. If the revision happens as being reported by several agencies, then small training aircraft, such as the Cessna 150 will fit into the criteria of what is an LSA.

This would be good thing for prospective pilots like you. It would mean schools that already have Cessna 150's can offer Sport Pilot training. And pilots who hold a Sport Pilot license will have a source of aircraft to purchase and own that are a bit more budget friendly than the "newer than 2003" models that often range in the $60k-70k and more price range.

So stay tuned.... more announcements about this are expected over the next several months.

Back