School me on used parts, please

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
Couple questions on used parts for aircraft,

1. What is the difference between a yellow tag and an 8130-3?

2. When, if ever, is a yellow tag REQUIRED in order to comply with FAR's for Part 91 personal-use light (under 12,500) a/c?

3. When, if ever, is an 8130-3 REQUIRED in order to comply with FAR's for Part 91 personal-use light (under 12,500) a/c?

Let us say that, for example, someone dents an aileron in the hangar and the cheapest option is just buy one from one of the breakers. We receive it and I inspect as thoroughly as I would were it on the a/c during 100-hr inspection; maybe more thoroughly and, am entirely satisfied as to its airworthiness. Any caveats or gotchas I need to consider beyond just installing it properly and making the appropriate logbook entry?

Let us say now that it is a fixed-pitch aluminum prop that got banged up. Other thoughts beyond any required prop-strike inspection? Thoughts on installing a used one from a breaker?

Other parts that might be more special?

Thanks in advance.

My mechanic bought a wrecked Archer and “replaced both wings with serviceable wings” from a salvage yard. Good to go.

Fast forward 15 years, and a time-dependent A.D. came out. He didn’t know what the total time was on the wings, so he had to complete the A.D. That’s really the potential downside of not having documentation on replacement parts.

I would insist on an 8130-3. A yellow tag is not a thing from a regulatory pov. Yellow tags are industry throwbacks from the airline industry following the military lead after WWII in aviation maintenance documentation practices, which flowed into civil light aviation. They're nowhere to be found in FAR part 43. These days 8130-3s are just 8x11 printed paper. Yes, the industry tends to use the term interchangeably. It's not an 8130-3 unless it has all the information included, and of course only certain outfits can sign an 8130-3.

In the end, once installed, it is the 337s and the aircraft logs that hold the real value. The 8130-3 are merely valuable in the trade of the part, presumably the purchase and determination of worthiness in order to install. Once installed and signed off by the authorized party, that entry is what holds weight, though most people like to pack-rat the -3s it on the ol' dusty binder.

As to the aileron replacement hypothetical, my inclination would be to have an 8130-3 come with the part before I would agree to its purchase. It is still the responsibility of the AP to make sure he's satisfied with the part he's about to sign an installation for, but generally an 8130-3 would be sufficient to appease the owner in accepting the part and not get ripped off by people selling unworthy parts on eBay, for instance. Since 8130-3 can only come from authorized repair stations, it also provides a channel to address grievances in case the part is indeed DOA on arrival, or was misrepresented.

Neither of the two pieces of paper are required to declare airworthiness.
But they do make. a lot of A&Ps feel warm and fuzzy about using the parts.
I would insist on an 8130-3. A yellow tag is not a thing from a regulatory pov. Yellow tags are industry throwbacks from the airline industry following the military lead after WWII in aviation maintenance documentation practices, which flowed into civil light aviation. They're nowhere to be found in FAR part 43. These days 8130-3s are just 8x11 printed paper. Yes, the industry tends to use the term interchangeably. It's not an 8130-3 unless it has all the information included, and of course only certain outfits can sign an 8130-3.

In the end, once installed, it is the 337s and the aircraft logs that hold the real value. The 8130-3 are merely valuable in the trade of the part, presumably the purchase and determination of worthiness in order to install. Once installed and signed off by the authorized party, that entry is what holds weight, though most people like to pack-rat the -3s it on the ol' dusty binder.

As to the aileron replacement hypothetical, my inclination would be to have an 8130-3 come with the part before I would agree to its purchase. It is still the responsibility of the AP to make sure he's satisfied with the part he's about to sign an installation for, but generally an 8130-3 would be sufficient to appease the owner in accepting the part and not get ripped off by people selling unworthy parts on eBay, for instance. Since 8130-3 can only come from authorized repair stations, it also provides a channel to address grievances in case the part is indeed DOA on arrival, or was misrepresented.
Couple misconceptions in your post.

Yellow tags and 8103-3 tags are the same thing.
8130-3 tags only tell what was done by who. they carry no weight as to airworthiness.
8130-3 tags can be made out by anyone.
the form can be down loaded from the FAA.

remember no salvage yard part comes with a 8130-3 tag

Neither of the two pieces of paper are required to declare airworthiness.
But they do make. a lot of A&Ps feel warm and fuzzy about using the parts.

Couple misconceptions in your post.

Yellow tags and 8103-3 tags are the same thing.
8130-3 tags only tell what was done by who. they carry no weight as to airworthiness.
8130-3 tags can be made out by anyone.
the form can be down loaded from the FAA.

gotcha. so basically a 8130 is placebo, hoping it inspires more confidence than buying as is, as removed, components from ebay? guess the return policy is where the real value ultimately resides, if 8130s are worthless towards establishing any assurance of airworthiness in what you re buying. what a hobby....

gotcha. so basically a 8130 is placebo, hoping it inspires more confidence than buying as is, as removed, components from ebay? guess the return policy is where the real value ultimately resides, if 8130s are worthless towards establishing any assurance of airworthiness in what you re buying. what a hobby....
The basic use of the 8130 is to track parts as they pass thru the CRS.
The last time I got a crank back from the repair station it had a red tag on it.. it was still a 8130- telling me my crank shaft failed the inspection in a way that could not be returned to service in accordance with their FAA certified instruction.
That does not mean I can't use it, It simply means I'm taking responsibility for it, but it would be rather stupid to do so.
For the most part, 8130-3 is guidance, not regulatory.

Back