School me on the TB-21 TRINIDAD

Pghsteel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Steel
Always liked the look of the Trinidad especially the cockpit layout. Any info or experiences. Good / Bad.

Thanks

Comfortable, Good viz, incredibly ergonomic, drinks a lot of fuel and is a bit of a runway hog. Great plane to fly in.

Worked on a few. Nothing stands out as hard to work on but parts are a bit hard and pricey. We just replaced a flap on one, took 4 weeks to get from France. I believe there are only 2 places to get factory parts from, one in Camarillo California and one in West Palm Beach Florida. I do like their looks and the owners love them.

I always liked the Commander 114/115 series a bit more, but they have very similar profiles. Roomy, and drink more fuel than most for a given speed, but most will say the Commander and Trinidad are about the most comfortable SE 4-seaters out there. The plastic dash panel and gauges on the Trinidad always remind me of an 80's Camaro, lol.

Very comfortable.
Ergonomic layout is probably better than any other plane.
Visibility out the front is not as good a everyone will make sound like it is.
Visibility out the sides is better than just about any other plane.

Solid plane, definite head turner on the ramp.

I have flown in a couple 20s and I have about 200 hours in a TB-9 (same airframe, smaller engine)

Parts are not as hard to come by as some A&Ps will make you think

They are great planes and great conversation starters.
I met a lot of people due to flying a unique looking aircraft.

My biggest gripe: The back seat is perm. reclined at an odd angle.
The bodies are wide. To make them wider without killing the performance, they are not very tall and they taper in the back.
To keep backseat pax from bumping their heads, they made the backseat reclined at an angle.

I was annoyed in the backseat of the TB-20 and I am 5'11
I felt like I was behind the wing and couldn't sit up.

If your backseat pax are mostly smaller, not an issue but that was the one thing that drove me nuts.

I always liked the Commander 114/115 series a bit more, but they have very similar profiles. Roomy, and drink more fuel than most for a given speed, but most will say the Commander and Trinidad are about the most comfortable SE 4-seaters out there. The plastic dash panel and gauges on the Trinidad always remind me of an 80's Camaro, lol.

That's funny.

I really like the Commander look also.

Grew up in the 80s and had a Camaro

Thinking you maybe on to something Hummm

I looked at them. Useful load was my turn off though.

I've observed them to be expensive to own for the capability. I would buy lots of other planes first, but they are nice to fly in.

As I often tell people, you don't have to buy something because it's good, you can buy it because you like it. My car, for example. :)

When I bought, it came down to two choices: a TB-21 or a Turbo Commander. I ended up with the Commander, but would have gladly taken a TB-21. Both are great airplanes. I'm probably going to sell the Commander soon, but that's more about money and not using it very much than it is about performance and handling (really great plane to fly).

When I bought, it came down to two choices: a TB-21 or a Turbo Commander. I ended up with the Commander, but would have gladly taken a TB-21. Both are great airplanes. I'm probably going to sell the Commander soon, but that's more about money and not using it very much than it is about performance and handling (really great plane to fly).

I've always thought that airplane was just sexy.

There's about a snowball's chance in hell that I'd leave the 182 co-ownership, or convince the other co-owners to change airplanes, but on the way outside chance that would happen, please make a note here when you've decided to let her go.

That airplane is one of the few that I'd do really stupid fiscal things to myself to own, I think. Haven't put any serious thought into it. Just love the looks, and the capabilities aren't awful either.

Two airplanes that don't go as nearly as fast as they look.

Two airplanes that don't go as nearly as fast as they look.
And to some of us, that's not the deciding factor. Not much difference in total trip time on a typical GA trip.

Why not find 3 partners so the price goes down and the use goes up? The individual ownership model is not a good one for GA at all for the vast majority.

Better off with a PA24 IMO

If you only need 2 seats WAY more options open up.

Why not find 3 partners so the price goes down and the use goes up? The individual ownership model is not a good one for GA at all for the vast majority.

It made sense when I first owned it. Now, yes, club makes more sense. That said, there are other reasons to move on now.

Very comfy airplane. Nice stable IFR platform

Thanks. It is, very much. Loved taking it to mins at a number of places... Wouldn't be so comfortable in a different plane.

Back