School me on the Sonex

Skylane81E

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Duncan
So for a long time I have had a hankering for something small and cheap to supplement the 182, I've posted on this before.

#1 priority is folding or quick removable wings as if I have to pay to store another plane the whole thing goes out the window. As such the Onex has caught my eye as I could keep in in with the Skylane. It also looks like a hoot to fly.

So anyone flown one? I'd also need to track one down to sit in. From the company propaganda I would likely be fine on fit but would have to verify before committing to anything.

So, am I nuts? Tell me I'm nuts and it will be easier:lol:

I've heard good thing, never flown one though

Guessing the EAA or company could point you in the direction of someone that could help with a demo

So ex has a great display at the major air shows.there was quite a few at OSH and there booth was great even had a cockpit and encouraged people to try it on for size.call the factory.

The Onex with the folding wings and their Aero-Vee engine is very intriguing to me. A new engine for $7K in a plane that fits in your garage is pretty cool.

That said, one landed in our shop yesterday. On his second test flight he got into PIO and ended up bending the nose strut and destroying the prop. :-(. Felt pretty bad for the guy. It obviously flys a bit different than the 737 he usually captains.

So anyone flown one? I'd also need to track one down to sit in. From the company propaganda I would likely be fine on fit but would have to verify before committing to anything.

They are located at Oshkosh and are great people. It would be an easy flight in your 182 to go check them out in person.

People seem to like them. I got a ride in one with the Aerovee engine. I formed the opinion that the Jabiru 3300 engine is a better choice for carrying 2 people. I also opine that the Aerovee would work great on the Onex.

Last edited:
Dunc, come on up to 6y9 and we'll talk sonex/onex all night long with Brad. Over numerous beverages.

You may not learn anything but it'll be a good time, for sure!

The Sonex is a capable machine. It claims to be a 2 seated, but it is pretty snug. Makes a very comfy single seated. Vision is not the best as the plexy is just curved to fit, but it is adequate. Very responsive on the controls and reasonably easy to land.

Guys, he asked specifically about the Onex.

It does have folding wings.

It will be very snug for two people. It's a single-seat aircraft.

There appear to be fewer than a dozen Onexes completed and flying, as the kit only started deliveries about a year ago. Sonex has a great feature on its website in which completions are listed along with contact info for the builders. I suspect they'd be happy to talk about their planes!

The guys at Sonex are also very helpful and friendly if you stop by their shop at Wittman Field in Oshkosh. Always cool to get a look at the factory before you buy a kit!

Dunc, come on up to 6y9 and we'll talk sonex/onex all night long with Brad. Over numerous beverages.

You may not learn anything but it'll be a good time, for sure!

Probably more fun than "my" plans for that weekend, venue hunting:rolleyes2:

I took a demo ride in the Sonex while at the Workshop at the factory. The two experiences were enough for me to order a tail kit for the Onex. At 6', 220, siting in the cockpit at the factory was actually pretty comfortable, at least while flying long enough to run through 10 Gals of fuel. I love the idea of the folding wings which gives me the option of using an enclosed trailer as a hangar.

Kit arrived last week and I am in the process of setting up in the garage to start Cleco and drill and rivet and ..............

I also like the idea that the Aerovee only comes as a kit so you really know how to maintain your engine. There are other engines that can be used if a flying VW doesn't meet your needs.

You are welcome to check it out sometime after I start the build.

Cheers

I formed the opinion that the Jabiru 3300 engine is a better choice for carrying 2 people. I also opine that the Aerovee would work great on the Onex.

I fly the Jabiru 2200, which i assume to be comparable to to the AeroVee, very often with two people and it does fine. I also fly a larger Jabiru with the 3300 quite often. The 3300 has some cooling issues in that installation.

Last edited:
I've been a little lax in working on it ,Onex 1091X(sn 109) this summer.
Too much stuff going on and too hot in my upstairs workshop. I'll be back on it after Labor day.
You are welcome to come up to Grand Rapids ,Mi and take a look at what I've gotten done so far.
Tail, fuselage on gear center spar attached and done, ribs going on,surface controls are almost done. Still pretty open to see everything.
You are also certainly welcome to come up to 6Y9 and talk, but I would suggest as I did go to Sonex at the factory in OSH and look it over. They are really great to talk to and very helpful. They have good tech support also.
I did go to their workshop, it was helpful as it's my first kit built airplane.
I'm 6' 210 ,fit is good,in and out though it feels like you're getting into a small fighter or formula 1 race car.
No regrets on the purchase.

I took a demo ride in the Sonex while at the Workshop at the factory. The two experiences were enough for me to order a tail kit for the Onex. At 6', 220, siting in the cockpit at the factory was actually pretty comfortable, at least while flying long enough to run through 10 Gals of fuel. I love the idea of the folding wings which gives me the option of using an enclosed trailer as a hangar.

Kit arrived last week and I am in the process of setting up in the garage to start Cleco and drill and rivet and ..............

I also like the idea that the Aerovee only comes as a kit so you really know how to maintain your engine. There are other engines that can be used if a flying VW doesn't meet your needs.

You are welcome to check it out sometime after I start the build.

Cheers

Excellent, I couldn't remember if you had ordered yet or not and if it was a Onex or Sonex.

Yeah, if I get to the point where I can pull the trigger I'll have to sit in one, and likely just go to the factory to do it. I'm 6'4" and all torso so head room tends to be an issue for me. It is another reason the Onex might just work as it has a low seat and tall canopy.

Yeah, if I get to the point where I can pull the trigger I'll have to sit in one, and likely just go to the factory to do it. I'm 6'4" and all torso so head room tends to be an issue for me. It is another reason the Onex might just work as it has a low seat and tall canopy.

They made them for people 6' 4" 240 lbs. Made longer fiberglass wing extentions so can go up to 260 lbs.
I had to shorten up the rudder peddles.

You need a jet. Sub Sonex

I'll cough up the cost of the Onex plus 50% if you come up with the other $88k

I'd love one, but it defeats the reason to get such a thing, a cheap way to go fly just to fly. If I flew it 450 hours it would pay for itself, and that is at today's fuel prices, if both auto and avgas go up just $1/gal the number falls to just 375 hours. Considering I hope to have another 30-40 years of flying ahead of me...

But a jet, drool!

They made them for people 6' 4" 240 lbs. Made longer fiberglass wing extentions so can go up to 260 lbs.
I had to shorten up the rudder peddles.

I think I'd to short wing, I'm just a hair under 200lbs and beyond that have a medical so even if the stall speed ends up to high for SP.

Looks nice. Wonder what they estimate for build time in hours.

The OneX is more of an "assembly" than build. Match drilled parts vs layout and measure.

Cheers

Yeah, the panther mentions unformed ribs, doable but I'd rather avoid too much fabrication.

The Onex with the folding wings and their Aero-Vee engine is very intriguing to me. A new engine for $7K in a plane that fits in your garage is pretty cool.

That said, one landed in our shop yesterday. On his second test flight he got into PIO and ended up bending the nose strut and destroying the prop. :-(. Felt pretty bad for the guy. It obviously flys a bit different than the 737 he usually captains.

Goes to show that even the most experienced among us are capable of bending perfectly good airplanes.

Yeah, the panther mentions unformed ribs, doable but I'd rather avoid too much fabrication.

Ok dug around a little more, the unformed ribs are offered for scratch builders.

Sounds like it is a little more work than the Onex, but not all that much more. All the pictures show the pilot right up against the canopy and that concerns me.

I will keep an eye on it, but I like that the Onex uses a smaller engine and gets similar performance in LSA trim.

Goes to show that even the most experienced among us are capable of bending perfectly good airplanes.

Yep, he felt pretty bad...."Forty years of flying and never scratched an airplane...til today."

Back