School me on Minecraft

Or something that he's interested in? It doesn't have to be things -you- are interested in :rolleyes:

Things?
Look out, we got a showlin monk over here lol
New age much?

Just like I’m only into hiking so I can buy hiking shoes, or baseball because I want material things like a jock strap and a bat? lol

You don’t get the scene behind the “things” I mentioned, it’s not about the object, it’s about the adventure and community.

You don’t get the scene behind the “things” I mentioned, it’s not about the object, it’s about the adventure and community.

More power to you for liking those things but they are not everyone's cup of tea and no one should be forced into doing something they aren't interested in.

There's a "scene" and community behind every hobby, gaming included. Again, I met my best man at my wedding through gaming.

More power to you for liking those things but they are not everyone's cup of tea and no one should be forced into doing something they aren't interested in.

There's a "scene" and community behind every hobby, gaming included. Again, I met my best man at my wedding through gaming.

Lots of their things that are active

Being positive/supportive about a kid sitting infront it a screen is not good.

It’s better to encourage kids to drink and do drugs, than be sedentary
Especially if he’s already “big boned”

Lots of their things that are active

Being positive/supportive about a kid sitting infront it a screen is not good.

It’s better to encourage kids to drink and do drugs, than be sedentary
Especially if he’s already “big boned”

How much TV do you sit in front of for all of those sports you're interested in? Do you always go to the games in person?

Playing video games does not automatically equal being inactive or overweight. Does having a beer once in a while automatically mean you're an alcoholic?

How much TV do you sit in front of for all of those sports you're interested in? Do you always go to the games in person?

Playing video games does not automatically equal being inactive or overweight. Does having a beer once in a while automatically mean you're an alcoholic?

I’m not into watching sports, well I do catch the America’s cup, as a kid I was more into doing sports.

TV wise I’ll catch a movie on Netflix sometimes, but over all I’d rather be hiking or canoeing or working on the property or something.

Also after hauling out enough people who ate/sat themselves into a medevac ride, I’m a little paranoid about getting out of shape

Good or value in drug use by my meaning is medicinal not recreational. Example you take opioid painkillers with dry socket after an extraction. Or cancer pain or whatever, I see those as extremely positive uses of drugs. If you mean illegal or illegitimate use, I might agree with you, gaming is far less directly dangerous. There have been some documented deaths but very rare.
Yeah that's exactly what I was referring to, the kind of drugs and usage that took out a couple of my siblings!
I wish like hell that they had chosen video games. :(

I'm blessed that none of my three adult children fell into that trap! They are all very successful, drug free young people. Hopefully my 13 year old will follow their example.

Yeah that's exactly what I was referring to, the kind of drugs and usage that took out a couple of my siblings!
I wish like hell that they had chosen video games. :(

I'm blessed that none of my three adult children fell into that trap! They are all very successful, drug free young people. Hopefully my 13 year old will follow their example.

Aw wow I'm so sorry. I lost a sister but not to drugs, breast cancer only 48, it sucks to lose your first best friend. I've only got second hand experience being involved with a drug addict, one of my other sisters got involved with a meth head. It was an ugly insidious path into self destruction and a lot of collateral damage to his entire family and friends. He's in prison now and hopefully out of her life for good.

We too are lucky, our two girls made it through adolescence without any drug problems, no teen pregnancies, arrests or serious accidents. Both safely married off and productive tax paying citizens. Hope your 13 year old follows suit. Having grown children who are wonderful adults is probably the single best thing of my whole life, makes it all worthwhile.

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph! Sorry to hear about your sister, cancer sucks.
Glad you had no major problems with your daughters. Both of mine made it through as well, with no teen pregnancies or other major issues. My eldest daughter is a professional artist and self employed. Have their own apartments and doing well, so I have a lot to be thankful for.

No parent can definitively say if their child ever tried pot or anything else for that matter, but I have never seen any signs of substance use or abuse from any of them. I come from a family of alcoholics and drug abusers, so from an early age I got turned off by the very thought of being out of my mind and out of control. I'm not just talking about immediate family. Relatives, distant and close! Which is what kept me from ever drinking or experimenting with drugs. Never tried ANY of it, never been high or intoxicated a day in my life (with the exception of anesthesia during surgery) and plan on keeping it that way.

I do know several people who came away from that lifestyle, so I know it is possible to recover. But as my father used to say, it's a whole lot easier to never get started, than trying to break a habit once you do. This is the advice that I've imparted to my children. I let them know about our family history, not to be judgmental, but to warn them of the dangers and consequences of our life choices.

Last edited:
I've played video games since I was little and I've turned out at least somewhat better than @SixPapaCharlie. :D

I don't think violent games make you into a violent person. I watched Rated R movies and played GTA, CoD, Black & White, etc. since I could walk and talk. My parents raised me to understand that the stuff behind a screen is often fake and to find the truth myself. My father was in the TV industry for most of his life, so I was brought up knowing the master behind the curtain.

I played daily in college with my friends and roommates. I don't play as much video games as I use to mainly as until recently I wasn't home much. I currently play Kerbal, Civ, DCS, and an assortment of 90s/00s games that will run on my 2in1 laptop. I have coworkers that also regularly play PS4 and PC games at home. We've just learned not to mention DCS anymore around certain more right wing coworkers. :rolleyes:

My kids love Minecraft, it’s a fun game to play. My 5 year old loves to design thing and builds them. My 9 year old plays too, but, is slowly moving away from it. It always them to be creative, which is super important at that age. And I enjoy discussing their builds with them.

Break: each kiddo has their own iPad and spend about an hour a day on them. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Minecraft has already progressed to numerous different outlets too, for instance both of them have started basic coding. My son and I might get into 3D printing too. So he can continue to create things. Also, we built toy boxes for their rooms, and acted like we were in Minecraft.

Break2: my kids are in a dual language program, and a lot of learning resources are on the iPad. We just got prodigy, a combat math game. My daughter loves it. Basically, you make an avatar, and fight people to earn rewards. But, the fight is actually a math test.

Back