Schizophrenia Sport Pilot

C

Concerned Pilot

I know someone with an active diagnosis of schizophrenia with active symptoms who is flying under Sport Pilot. Is there anything I can do to report from an FAA perspective? I haven’t seen them do anything bad from a flying perspective, but worry about the future.

Since there is no medical to revoke, can the FAA do anything before an incident has occurred?

What would you report? That you know of a pilot who isn't violating any rules yet? What qualifies you to make a diagnosis of his condition, and why should the FAA take action on your word?

Does this pilot have a driver's license? If not, then he can't legally fly as a SP without an FAA medical. If so, and no physician has done anything about it, who are you to decide he's not fit to fly?

14 CFR 61.53(b)
I think the problem is that this particular pilot doesn’t think that anything is necessarily wrong, though others can’t see it.

This sport pilot has active delusions and delusional thinking and has an active schizophrenia diagnosis by a psych I know based upon talking to the pilot.

I think the problem is that this particular pilot doesn’t think that anything is necessarily wrong, though others can’t see it.

This sport pilot has active delusions and delusional thinking and has an active schizophrenia diagnosis by a psych I know based upon talking to the pilot.
Does the pilot know he received the diagnosis?

I know someone with an active diagnosis of schizophrenia with active symptoms who is flying under Sport Pilot. Is there anything I can do to report from an FAA perspective? I haven’t seen them do anything bad from a flying perspective, but worry about the future.

Since there is no medical to revoke, can the FAA do anything before an incident has occurred?
Try to keep him from owning a gun, an act which might make him considerably more dangerous to others than flying his own plane.

Y'know, reading this thread I can just envision myself having a kidding conversation in the airport pilot's lounge with me BSing some random Karen and mentioning how I like to buzz cars on the interstate, chuckling to myself as the Karen takes it seriously and comes unglued, and the conversation eventually devolves to.....

KAREN: You're nuts!​
ME: Yeah, yeah. My shrink says it's schizophrenia, but what does he know? I've been feeling lots better since I stopped listening to that quack and quit my meds.​
KAREN: You shouldn't be flying! The CFR says you have to ground yourself!​
ME: Hehehe.... (as I wink and walk out to my plane)​

Then an anonymous posting to POA happens, followed by phone calls to the airport, the FSDO, OKC, etc., etc.

Y'know, reading this thread I can just envision myself having a kidding conversation in the airport pilot's lounge with me BSing some random Karen and mentioning how I like to buzz cars on the interstate, chuckling to myself as the Karen takes it seriously and comes unglued, and the conversation eventually devolves to.....

KAREN: You're nuts!​
ME: Yeah, yeah. My shrink says it's schizophrenia, but what does he know? I've been feeling lots better since I stopped listening to that quack and quit my meds.​
KAREN: You shouldn't be flying! The CFR says you have to ground yourself!​
ME: Hehehe.... (as I wink and walk out to my plane)​

Then an anonymous posting to POA happens, followed by phone calls to the airport, the FSDO, OKC, etc., etc.
tbh, that was my first thought too.

Maybe tell him you saw some gremlins crawl out of his plane when he was on the other side during preflight? I probably shouldn’t joke about this, I have life experience of a close family member (my father) whom had schizophrenia but responded very well to lithium treatment from the 1970’s to 1990’s, when his doctor retired the new one ( a very young man) immediately on his first prescription renuall check up said that it was an outdated treatment and switched him to a new medication, within a week he was having problems, within a month he was involuntarily committed for a week at the regional mental health facility, and by six month he had committed suicide. Maybe it would be the “bigger man” thing to do to talk to his family first rather than the faa, see if something has changed, and voice your concerns. It may be a transient problem that a short term (wife accidentally lost the keys for a while???) solution may be better than a life long regulatory solution?

Running the risk opening a can of worms...

If his schizophrenia is bad enough that he shouldn't fly LSA, he will have other issues. Have you reported him to local law enforcement so that they are aware? Have you recommended to his family that they do this? If he is acting completely normally, why are you concerned? He is allowed to fly under LSA rules as long as he has a valid DL. Why go straight to the FAA and not law enforcement? If he has such issues that he shouldn't be flying, it could be argued that you should be doing a lot more than running to the FAA as they can only restrict his flying privileges.

If he is being treated, and the treatment is effective, and he's acting normally, he is following the rules by maintaining a valid DL and only flying LSA, no further action necessary.

If they are as bad as claimed how in the world did this person get past the CFI & the DPE?

I get that they only go one time for a DPE ride but they would have spent a lot of time with at least one CFI and surely (I know, "don't call me Shirley") the CFI would have noticed something ...

Again why I would approach his family first, it may be something like a recent change in his medication that can be corrected (obviously if he is an immediately dangerous threat to public health or saftey then further/ more drastic steps are warranted) but if he is just starting to drift a bit into “conspiracy theories” and vocalizing them, hell that seems to be becoming the new “normal” these day.

I know this pilots family as well, it is not in doubt or dispute that this particular pilot has a correct diagnosis.

Well, it's in doubt here, on this forum. Who are you, how do you have certain knowledge about this diagnosis, and why do you consider it to be any of your business? You're worrying about reporting him to the FAA, but have you reported him to the local cops and to the DMV? If not, why not? If he still has a DL and can drive safely, why shouldn't he be exercising Sport Pilot privileges? He's not any greater danger in a light sport aircraft than he is in an automobile, after all. Probably less.

Like substance abuse issues, encouraging schizophrenics to fly is probably not the best way to collectively push for reduced medical certification oversight in GA. There are some conditions that are simply not compatible with an aviation safety culture. While they may be fine, it's really hard to argue that such a condition does not affect their ability to safely operate an aircraft.

I don't love the fact that I share the highway with them either, but that's not the issue here.

OP, he shouldn’t be flying. The biggest problem with schizophrenics is that especially in the beginning they think they are ok and that the world is all wrong.

It’s not illegal for them to drive, no need to call the cops unless they start acting out. Most people with this illness are only a danger to themselves, but in an airplane that could result in danger to the public.

Schizophrenia, or Schizoid personality?
There's a world of difference here.
Do you "actually know"?

Like substance abuse issues, encouraging schizophrenics to fly is probably not the best way to collectively push for reduced medical certification oversight in GA.

Probably not, if that's the primary concern, but even there I don't think it will make much difference.

From a standpoint of risk to others, it's no greater than such a person driving a car. Probably less, due to LSA passenger limits and low vehicle weight. Remember, we're talking about someone flying as a Sport Pilot, not a person piloting an airliner with a hundred people in the back. The FAA has already mitigated the risk of operating a light sport without a medical by limiting MTOW, the number of passengers, the types of operations, and by requiring a DL and the FAA considers that sufficient.

Drivers operate cars while having virtually every medical condition in the book: sleep apnea, depression/anxiety, diabetes, heart conditions, etc., etc.. And while taking every med on the pharmacy shelf, too. And they're driving not just small cars but also trucks, vans, etc., and driving them in close proximity to other vehicles and pedestrians.

There's no reason to think the population of Sport Pilots, including those with higher tickets operating under Sport rules, is any different medically from the population of drivers. The FAA has decided that allowing that population to fly under Sport rules is an acceptable risk.

Furthermore, I don't think anyone is encouraging a schizophrenic to fly. In fact, if I knew such a person I'd try to discourage them. But that's a far cry from seeking to notify authorities and asking them to take some sort of regulatory action against the pilot. Especially when the pilot has not (it seems) violated any regulation.

And on top of all that, what we have here, in this particular thread, is merely anonymous hearsay. That puts it pretty low on the credibility list.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed an explosion recently of posts on this and other forums saying things like “I know a bad thing about someone. Should I tell the authorities?”

The answer is not just “no;” it’s “h*** no, get a life.”

How about mind your own business?
This B.S. about how sometime, somewhere, something bad could happen, people have gotten so concerned about everyone else's lives. What if someone noticed you do something stupid and called the FAA to say you are unfit to fly because they saw you? What did they see? What did you actually do? The truth is probably nowhere to be seen.

Leave the guy alone, Karen!

Back