Schaumburg and the Cubs

sbonek

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Steve Bonek
we've got tickets for the Cubs game on Memorial day... as much as it pains me to spend any of my $$ in Duh Mare's city, I simply have to see the Cubs play this year, and it will be both of my daughters first game as Wrigley.

Here is my issue. I would love to fly, in lieu of a 3.5 hour drive. I've flown into 06C, Schaumburg and was told there is a train station within walking distance.

For those of your from Duh City or others that might know, how do I get from that train station within walking distance to the "L" stop right by Wrigley. I've looked at the CTA website and I can't seem to figure it out.

For that Metra train you will take it to Union Station then grab the red line north to Addison. The red line is a subway under State st. So just go east out of the station until you hit State. It is about 6 blocks. There is a station for the red line at State and Monroe. So when you get to State walk one block north.

Last edited:
The FBO will drop you off at the Metra station. You need to worry what would happen if you get back late and the FBO is closed. They should give you a phone number for a local taxicab comany. You could walk it. It's a mile or two. If you believe in miracles, maybe they'll let you take the courtesy van. Maybe rent a car? Parking at Wrigley will set you back $20 or more.

Train schedule:
http://metrarail.com/Sched/md_w/md_w.shtml

The RTA has a trip planner. In goverment SNAFU perfection, you'll have to tell the RTA where the RTA Metra station in Schaumburg is located:
2000 S. Springinsguth Rd., Schaumburg
http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

I tried it. It tells you to take a bus and the trip that way takes 2-3 hours. I'm certain it doesn't adjust the time for the intolerable traffic on Addison before Cub games, but you'll see Chicago.

Set the date and time you want and hack at it and it might route you downtown as Scott suggests.

The red line subway station is at the other end of the Loop from Union station. Hop on the Brown Line or Purple Line (faster but doesn't run after 6-7 PM) at the much closer Quincy station (walk 3-4 blocks east on Adams or Jackson and go up the stairs to the L platform) and change trains to the Red Line at Fullerton or Belmont. As it says in another SNAFU the CTA has a track closed so travel times will be longer and the trains will be packed.

http://transitchicago.com/maps/rail/rail.html

Duh City Dat Woiks. :vomit:

Or fly into Midway and you can beg a ride to the Orange Line. Bruce has done that.

Last edited:
For that Metra train you will take it to Union Station then grab the red line north to Addison. The red line is a subway under State st. So just go east out of the station until you hit State. It is about 6 blocks. There is a station for the red line at State and Monroe. So when you get to State walk one block north.

ugghh... 6 blocks walk with a 3 and a 5 year old... hmm... maybe driving might make sense.

Any idea how long of a train ride are we talking about?

..snip...

Or fly into Midway and you can beg a ride to the Orange Line. Bruce has done that.

hmm... this sounds like it may take longer than I was expecting. Not having ever done this before, I was ignorant and assumed a train ride from Schaumburg to Wrigley would probably be faster than driving it, and figured we were talking about 30 - 45 minutes. Sounds like that might not be the case.

Midway? hmm.... I don't think that would be a good idea. I'm getting nervous about possibly flying into KSBN this weekend... I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for Midway yet... if ever.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it make the most sense to just drive it.

People actually pay for parking? Maybe I'm cheap, but I don't think I've ever paid for parking at Wrigley. I usually spend 20 minutes driving around to find parking the street and then just walking it.

hmm... this sounds like it may take longer than I was expecting. Not having ever done this before, I was ignorant and assumed a train ride from Schaumburg to Wrigley would probably be faster than driving it, and figured we were talking about 30 - 45 minutes. Sounds like that might not be the case.

Midway? hmm.... I don't think that would be a good idea. I'm getting nervous about possibly flying into KSBN this weekend... I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for Midway yet... if ever.

Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it make the most sense to just drive it.

People actually pay for parking? Maybe I'm cheap, but I don't think I've ever paid for parking at Wrigley. I usually spend 20 minutes driving around to find parking the street and then just walking it.

At Wrigley you won't be able to park on the street for a 3 mile radius without getting towed, not that that stops people from doing it and walking. My apartment is just 2 blocks outside of the permit zone and I see people walking from there.

"Friendly confines," huh?

Your best bet is to hire a limo from Schaumburg. That would be $70(?) + tip each way, but as above it's the most cost and time effective.

I've used both of these.
http://www.amlimo.com/limo_rates.cfm
http://www.mychauffeurchicago.com/

You already have tickets so this is not a plan for this trip but in the future. Get tickets for the Schaumburg Flyers. Cheaper, and very close to the Schaumburg airport. You fly over their field when landing. Much better choice IMHO than the over paid prima donnas of the Major League.

With a 3 and 5 year old?

actually, no, this is their first visit to Wrigley. Which is a good point, I may end up paying for parking after all... assuming we do drive

It's a day game on memorial day so parking on the street is doable.

Oh, yeah. The game restrictions are for night games only, but the surrounding neighborhoods still have permit street parking - every hour of every day.

At Wrigley you won't be able to park on the street for a 3 mile radius without getting towed, not that that stops people from doing it and walking. My apartment is just 2 blocks outside of the permit zone and I see people walking from there.

"Friendly confines," huh?

Your best bet is to hire a limo from Schaumburg. That would be $70(?) + tip each way, but as above it's the most cost and time effective.

I've used both of these.
http://www.amlimo.com/limo_rates.cfm
http://www.mychauffeurchicago.com/

really? Then I must be extremly lucky... last year me and a couple co-workers drove up, and we found parking about 2 blocks away... I can't remember what the street name was, but it seemed like less than a mile. We basically walked up one street by one of the many Wrigley-ville bars and then across the street to Bar Louie for a couple drinks before the game.

A Limo... that's interesting... my girls might get a kick out of that..

Which brings me to my next question. Kinds under a certain age need to be in a carseat while in cars, what about a Limo? Would I need to put the carseats into the Limo?

You already have tickets so this is not a plan for this trip but in the future. Get tickets for the Schaumburg Flyers. Cheaper, and very close to the Schaumburg airport. You fly over their field when landing. Much better choice IMHO than the over paid prima donnas of the Major League.

we might make another trip for that. I agree, I love minor league baseball, but there is no experience like Wrigley Field, and my girls need to experience that like I did when I was young.

It is pretty cool to fly over the Flyers park while on final for 11.

I would call the FBO at Palwaukee. They may have a crew car. Parking around Wrigley can be expensive, but you are flying a plane.
When we went to see the Reds at the Cubs in April, it was a good game.
:blueplane:

I was just at a Marlins game and we had a luxury skybox with catered food, open bar, and TV's. That blew away any Wrigley experience I ever had. :yes::D:yes:

eeckk.... I'll pretend I didn't hear that... :rolleyes:

actually, I'm looking forward to going to a Red's game on our vacation... I've heard lots of good things about Great American Ballpark....

but still there is only one Wrigley... sure the seats are small and un-comfortable, there is no parking and concrete has bad habit of falling from the upper-deck.... but it's Wrigley Field...

Except Fenway Park. Best park in baseball.
:D

I've not been to Fenway, so I can't say for sure... but Fenway does seem mighty cool as well... I hope to make it there before they tear it down...

really? Then I must be extremly lucky... last year me and a couple co-workers drove up, and we found parking about 2 blocks away... I can't remember what the street name was, but it seemed like less than a mile. We basically walked up one street by one of the many Wrigley-ville bars and then across the street to Bar Louie for a couple drinks before the game.

A Limo... that's interesting... my girls might get a kick out of that..

Which brings me to my next question. Kinds under a certain age need to be in a carseat while in cars, what about a Limo? Would I need to put the carseats into the Limo?

Bring your car seats. Aren't you goign to use them in the plane anyway? The governor of N.J. will tell you waht a good idea it is to be belted.

The limo drivers don't make you put on the seat belts, but I do. Both are required by state law.

The odds are good that the limo will have a TV in the back and maybe the driver will have stocked it with soda. The kids will have a ball and you can watch the pre-game on WGN. Ask for a stretch limo. The biggest problem I had with a stretch was talking to the driver and hearing him/her through 100 feet of padded interior. :D

They'll tell you to call for a pickup after the game. If it's like the airport, the car will be staged nearby.

Bring your car seats. Aren't you goign to use them in the plane anyway? The governor of N.J. will tell you waht a good idea it is to be belted.

The limo drivers don't make you put on the seat belts, but I do. Both are required by state law.

The odds are good that the limo will have a TV in the back and maybe the driver will have stocked it with soda. The kids will have a ball and you can watch the pre-game on WGN. Ask for a stretch limo. The biggest problem I had with a stretch was talking to the driver and hearing him/her through 100 feet of padded interior. :D

They'll tell you to call for a pickup after the game. If it's like the airport, the car will be staged nearby.

all good points.... true, I will already have them in the a/c.

Thanks for all the info. Assuming we do fly, I'll try and post some pictures.

Back