Scenic flight San Francisco to Los Angeles

mareko

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Marek
Maybe I have a very strange question but I hope not ;) I'm looking for opportunity to fly with a small plane from San Francisco towards Los Angels and enjoy the scenic views. I'm from Europe, Germany and being here for 2 weeks :) Maybe you know somebody who is looking for one more passenger which participate in the costs.

Please let me know. I'm looking for Wednesday, 7th of November

Mark

If you woulda had asked a week ago.... That's tomorrow.

It's tough during the week. And LA is a bit further than I'd like to go for sightseeing (you do realize that's three hours each way in a light aircraft, right?).

But feel free to PM me if (a) you can wait until the weekend, and (b) something half as far will do. Hint: Lake Tahoe or Yosemite, weather permitting. Separately, Point Reyes Lighthouse. Almost any flight with me involves a flight over or very near San Francisco Bay.

It's tough during the week. And LA is a bit further than I'd like to go for sightseeing (you do realize that's three hours each way in a light aircraft, right?).

But feel free to PM me if (a) you can wait until the weekend, and (b) something half as far will do. Hint: Lake Tahoe or Yosemite, weather permitting. Separately, Point Reyes Lighthouse. Almost any flight with me involves a flight over or very near San Francisco Bay.
Well, he did say "towards" Los Angeles, no to LA.

Me again. I just found this site that is way I'm so late :(
Tomorrow I have to leave for Los Angeles and I stay there until saturday. Than I go to Vegas for a conference.

I do now have enough time to go the cost down from SF to LA. So would be great to fly but close to the cost :) Maybe only a part of it. Afterwards I can take a bus or train and travel do LA.

Let me know :)

Marek

Maybe I should ask in LA as well? Than it could be a roundtrip around the cost :) This would be great as well!

Maybe I should ask in LA as well? Than it could be a roundtrip around the cost :) This would be great as well!

Well you could charter a plane I guess. A suitable plane will run you about $150 an hour, with pilot $40 an hour plus possibly $20 an hour standby depending on how nice the FBO is, so you're looking at somewhere around $1,200 USD for the trip alone not counting standby.

And you won't land at SFO. Well you could, but you wouldn't want to, that's another $150 in landing fees. You would fly in to Oakland or Half Moon Bay and take a taxi in to town (All are roughly the same distance from downtown SF). That's about a $120 round trip.

If I flew you, the total cost would be about $500 of which your pro rata share would be $250, plus another $250 dinner and bar bill at the end haha.

I'd imagine you can find charter outfits at, say, Santa Monica or Van Nuys that could take you to Catalina. Or Maybe Big Bear.

That $500 is each way, and that's pretty much what a trip to LA costs on a light aircraft with a private pilot. A commercial pilot will be more -- you'll have to pay for the pilot's time (including time spent waiting for you or returning the aircraft from whence it came).

Half Moon Bay happens to be VFR right now, but that's unusual. Never depend upon that airport. Use one of the other airports around the Bay -- Oakland and San Carlos are closest to the City.

And you won't land at SFO. Well you could, but you wouldn't want to, that's another $150 in landing fees. You would fly in to Oakland or Half Moon Bay and take a taxi in to town (All are roughly the same distance from downtown SF). That's about a $120 round trip.

If you land at Oakland, the FBO will give you a ride to the BART station nearby, and you can take that to downtown SF. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was about $2. So don't take a taxi. ;)

If you land at Oakland, the FBO will give you a ride to the BART station nearby, and you can take that to downtown SF. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was about $2. So don't take a taxi. ;)

I forgot about BART, but yes that is an option - good point. Call me snobby but I'm one of those guys that will ride a bike or jog the distance before taking the bus or light rail. But I digress.

I forgot about BART, but yes that is an option - good point. Call me snobby but I'm one of those guys that will ride a bike or jog the distance before taking the bus or light rail. But I digress.

If you want to ride a bike or jog through that part of Oakland....I wouldn't suggest it. And there is a long swim involved as well. No pedestrians on the Bay Bridge. You could take the Alameda Ferry, but that seems a little odd just to avoid a BART station.

And BART is neither the bus nor light rail. Light rail is the useless bullpoop in San Jose that goes nowhere interesting very slowly. It's also the Muni Metro.

FYI, the AC Transit bus may be an option, as there are several routes that cross the Bay Bridge. But it's been many years since I've tried that, and the Transbay Terminal isn't the same. BART will be faster.

Last edited:
If you want to ride a bike or jog through that part of Oakland....I wouldn't suggest it. And there is a long swim involved as well. No pedestrians on the Bay Bridge. You could take the Alameda Ferry, but that seems a little odd just to avoid a BART station.

And BART is neither the bus nor light rail. Light rail is the useless bullpoop in San Jose that goes nowhere interesting very slowly.

BART looks like a freakin' train to me.

But I was just voicing my aversion to public transit, not suggesting that the OP shouldn't use it to get to the City from the O Town, or that I'd try to bike the trip using the Dunbarton and back up the peninsula. I'd probably suffer BART myself if I had to.

(Yes I'm real familiar with that part of Oakland, by the way.)

Back