Scenic Flight over Lake Murray in Oklahoma from McKinney, TX

Jakey

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jakey
Beautiful day for taking some photos along the way to Lake Murray Lodge and Airport. It makes you glad you stuck it out and got your pilots license.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HX2U6QufoE

This is my 1969 C172. I remove the screw in the window bracket that holds the window at a 45 degree angle, allowing it to swing all the up. Oddly enough, the wind keeps the window up all the way up for me while I'm shooting pics.

P4151187.jpg

I have a picture from Lake Murray that mom took when I was 2 years old. With dad's help, I was feeding a tame deer that had been raised from a fawn after being separated from its mother. Dad was in charge of the CCC unit that built the original campgrounds and rec area during the post-depression "new deal" days prior to WW-II.

Very nice. I literally drove right past the entrance to that park this summer and wondered about it. I didn't go in because it was late in the evening and I didn't have anything that floats and wasn't interested in paying lots of $$ for typical state park entrance fees.

Thanks for reminding me of OK state parks. While watching your video something unusual happened at another OK park in May that started me to thinking so I pulled up some information. In this day and age of greed and more greed, unless something is of particular interest, I generally avoid state parks due to the fees. Well, it turns out that OK state parks have no entrance fee except for two specific low cost day use fee parks. (Overnight is understandable within reason and often unimportant since I overnight on the road) By not having entrance fees, OK just got bumped up quite a ways on my list of places to explore. They may not get my money at the gate however they'll get it in fuel taxes and operating expenses. Forget Colorado entirely. KS and OK really surprised me more than anywhere else in 4300+ miles across 7 states of travel this summer..enough that I want to go back and explore there more.
40+ state parks...hmmm...

1. Jakey - welcome to PoA; Lake Murray is a beautiful place. Last time I was there, the guy at the lodge intimated that the lodge might be in some danger (much like Lake Texoma State Park - GRRR!); I hope that was not so.

---

2. Frank: Oklahoma is a marvelous place to visit, with a lot more of interest than most around the country would ever suspect. We love going there.

Oklahoma is a marvelous place to visit, with a lot more of interest than most around the country would ever suspect.

So I discovered!
I just happen to have been driving south on a road that went right past Red Rocks Canyon. I didn't even know it was there. There was a ho-hum sign on the side of the road and no indication of anything that would justify slowing down must less stopping. There's actually not much to the park but it's seriously pleasant. They said there was no entry fee and only an overnight fee so I went in for an hour to have lunch..and left the next day with a big note in my travel log to return and stay a few days.

Attachments

• IM000043.jpg
    IM000043.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4053.jpg
    IMG_4053.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4201.jpg
    IMG_4201.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 13
I went to college in Oklahoma but never got a chance to fly that direction! Too bad too, those are some great pictures. Most of the lakes in Oklahoma are brown, it's hard to find a blue one!

One of the prettiest places I've found is a Turner Falls. Last time I went there, the falls were so intense they had to shut the park down. We found a high overlook and sure enough, the entire park including the bathrooms were under water but boy was it a sight!

wasn't interested in paying lots of $$ for typical state park entrance fees.

unless something is of particular interest, I generally avoid state parks due to the fees.

Frank,

You need to come to Wisconsin. In a vehicle with out-of-state plates, a measly $35 gets you a sticker that's good for entrance to ALL Wisconsin State Parks, as much as you want, for a calendar year.

We also have this little airshow in late July/early August that you should check out. ;)

We do have some nice, interesting state parks too.

So I discovered!
I just happen to have been driving south on a road that went right past Red Rocks Canyon. I didn't even know it was there. There was a ho-hum sign on the side of the road and no indication of anything that would justify slowing down must less stopping. There's actually not much to the park but it's seriously pleasant. They said there was no entry fee and only an overnight fee so I went in for an hour to have lunch..and left the next day with a big note in my travel log to return and stay a few days.

Right as you get off I-40 is the Hinton airport. They have a nice glider club there, and is worth a visit as well. I've posted before about taking my son and a bunch of others camping at Red Rock, and Glider rides at Hinton. The kids still talk about that one 4 years later.

Back