Scenario: Transatlanic Flight KHPN to EGPH.

FloridaPilot

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
FloridaStudentPilot
This is just a scenario:

Pick any Airplane but it has to be a piston single.

You are traveling from KHPN to EGPH which is around 5190 KM

How many fuel stops would you make?

What route would you take?

(Lets just say the weather is clear throughout...Unlikely for a trip like this).

It doesn't matter when you get there, no time limit!

Thanks for your input in advance!

Piston Single I would choose a S-35 Bonanza with the big Dolly Parton tip tanks (Osbourne?) maybe another 50 gallons in the back seat, and a TAT TN kit. First stop Ganders, second stop Reykjavik, should be able to make Edinburgh from there. Fuel heading east bound may actually not be critical because you can pick up some hellacious tail winds on that route. You need an 1100 mile range plus reserves for the long leg to avoid fueling in Greenland.

Last edited:
Piston Single I would choose a S-35 Bonanza with the big Dolly Parton tip tanks (Osbourne?) maybe another 50 gallons in the back seat, and a TAT TN kit. First stop Ganders, second stop Reykjavik, should be able to make Edinburgh from there. Fuel heading east bound may actually not be critical because you can pick up some hellacious tail winds on that route. You need an 1100 mile range plus reserves for the long leg to avoid fueling in Greenland.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is a TAT TN kit?

Remove the wings, pack in shipping container, load into C5. Take First class to London and be there waiting to pick up the crates.

Wouldn't a stock Piper Malibu/Mirage fit the bill? Plus the added benefit of pressurization.

You need to go northern route if you want to avoid installing HF radios and antennas. That means Iqualut (Frobisher Bay) to Sondre Stromfjord in Greenland and then on to Reykjavik. Another good thing with this route is that longest over water leg is about 400nm.

Remove the wings, pack in shipping container, load into C5. Take First class to London and be there waiting to pick up the crates.

West bound I'd agree, east bound not, just be ready to wait a week or two to pick your day.

You need to go northern route if you want to avoid installing HF radios and antennas. That means Iqualut (Frobisher Bay) to Sondre Stromfjord in Greenland and then on to Reykjavik. Another good thing with this route is that longest over water leg is about 400nm.

HF is no big deal to add for a Pt 91 flight, you can use a ham rig and trail a wire, no big deal. Well worth it to RON in Reykjavik and hopefully get trapped by weather for a couple weeks.:D It's the only reason to cross the Atlantic in a small plane.;)

Wouldn't a stock Piper Malibu/Mirage fit the bill? Plus the added benefit of pressurization.

Yeah, it's a tough call. Higher cost and lower reliability. East bound the pressure is a positive, west bound though winds are likely to keep you out of altitudes where it's going to help.

Back