Scattering Ashes

Several times, in both high- and low-wing aircraft. If you do not know what you are doing, you will have a cockpit full of ashes. Put the ashes in a bag and tie a rope to the BOTTOM of the bag, so that when you throw the bag out of the window (or through a forced-open door for low-wing...do not do this alone) the bag will trail aft. Do this in slow flight.

Bob

This is the approach we used a couple of years ago in scattering the ashes of a friend over SAF. His widow mustered up the courage to fly in the Remos - with the door off! - to perform the task...

Please, don't scatter my ashes from a plane. I have a fear of heights anyway, and I certainly don't want my last remains to be falling from a plane .

Weird that a pilot has a problem with heights. Oddly, being in an aircraft is the only time it doesn't bother me. Beyond that, anything above a 2-story building....can't even look out the window.
I'm the same exact way.. Weird stuff..

Put the remains in our favorite hangar ice tea container, slipped the J3 Cub a little, and poured them out the side from the front seat at 65 mph. Easy, Peasy!

I've often thought of having mine scattered over a airport I instructed at years ago and still have good memories of. It was a fun airport, EAA, flight school, jump zone, ultra-lights, paved & grass runways....

Back