Scary!!

pookies

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pookies
My sister and I were headed back from Baton Rouge last night. We had a beautiful light show the whole way back. There were lots of storms around us, but were not in it. When we finally got back in to the city, the sky was more illuminated and I saw something strange in the sky. It was this...

waterspout.jpg

It turned out to be a waterspout that formed on Lake Ponchatrain by the Causeway. We didn't know that at the time. We weren't even sure how far away this thing was. All I knew was to get away, since we were headed right for it!!

It was just a scary feeling!! My sister and I wondered how scary it had to be for the people driving on the Causeway to see that!!!

Cool..Jealous. I love that stuff :)

When I was a young lad I saw 5 water spouts in San Diego Harbor. :yikes:

I also have a picture of an inverted funnel cloud. That is one that goes up instead of down. Pretty rare according to local weather guys, and I have a picture of it somewhere.

Cool picture!!

I was driving through Tulsa and saw three sisters (three tornados) dancing around each other. i stopped to take cover and they ended up crossing the expressway ahead of me and doing some serious damage.

Neat picture! We saw a waterspout back in 2004 flying back from the Bahamas out over the Atlantic. There was a nice long low cloud that we had to get fairly low to get under (we were VFR), and off our right wing we saw the spout down to the surface. THAT held our attention!

Pookie, great picture and glad you're okay.

They are scary because you don't know their intensity. All you know is they can be capable of great damage.

Once I watched multiple waterspouts form off of Point Sur. There were also several twinned pairs dancing around an invisible common center. They would dissipate as they came ashore but the high winds were still considerable. I left the area after one knocked me off my feet and lifted the cargo van I was driving onto two wheels. I counted 17 spouts before I left.

I've seen several while at sea. Awesome to watch but hoping they don't pass over our deck.

GREAT picture! Send that to the Weather Channel---they pay for that sort of stuff, if you do it in a timely fashion. My sister-in-law's cousin makes a good 'second-living' photographing and video-taping weather around the Kansas City area for the little "insert shots" that the Weather Channel uses when reporting on weather in that area--all freelance!

Great shot. I've seen a lot of water spouts off the beach in NJ and down in the carribiean.

But on another note don't you think you were flying just a little low? I mean you weren't very high off the roadway:rolleyes:

Waterspouts are usually not near as powerful as their big brothers, Tornadoes, but as you said, it's hard to tell that's NOT a tornado. To me, living here in tornado alley, a tornado at night is about the scariest thing I've ever experienced. I love to watch them during daylight but once it gets dark it becomes a terrifying specter. It's like being a tiny child in a big pitch dark haunted castle with godzilla roaming around firing lightning bolts and malevolently trampling everything. No where is safe.

Back