Scary time

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Dr. Bruce;

I had a possible "TIA" (a possible precursor to a stroke or as my primary care Dr. said a "warning shot") this past early Sunday. I noticed that I had numbness and tingleness in my left arm. My wife and I decided to go to the local hospital and check it out. Fortunately I live in a very small community where my primary doc was there. He admitted me and had a CT Scan done immediately. I was put on Plavix right away, IV for hydration and to have an open vain. More tests were carotid tests, Blood tests.

I was kept for observation for rest of the day and night. All the test results came back showing no concerns:) except one which was the first blood:mad: test. I was tested ever 4 hours. The first test showed some dehydration and later ones showed much better hydration.

I apologize for being so wordy but I am very new at this and my family has history of strokes. My medical 3rd class comes up at the end of September. I have self grounded.

I wonder what options if any I have at this point. Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated. I can go off line if you prefer.

Thank you,

John

a) we are hoping it all works out ok, John and that you are returned to the left seat promptly.
b) i am keeping in mind that when it happens to me, I hear if you do NOT go for a renewal while in an obviously unfit condition you are still able to fly sport pilot/gliders etc.
Bruce et al will have the details/more accurate info on this, but I understand you are best to not go for a renewal yet.

John J said:
Dr. Bruce;

I had a possible "TIA" (a possible precursor to a stroke or as my primary care Dr. said a "warning shot") this past early Sunday. I noticed that I had numbness and tingleness in my left arm. My wife and I decided to go to the local hospital and check it out. Fortunately I live in a very small community where my primary doc was there. He admitted me and had a CT Scan done immediately. I was put on Plavix right away, IV for hydration and to have an open vain. More tests were carotid tests, Blood tests.

I was kept for observation for rest of the day and night. All the test results came back showing no concerns:) except one which was the first blood:mad: test. I was tested ever 4 hours. The first test showed some dehydration and later ones showed much better hydration.

I apologize for being so wordy but I am very new at this and my family has history of strokes. My medical 3rd class comes up at the end of September. I have self grounded.

I wonder what options if any I have at this point. Any comments are appreciated.

Thank you for all your help. It is very much appreciated. I can go off line if you prefer.

Thank you,

John
John, dpeneds on whether or not there is a carotid narrowing on the opposite side, and whether or not there is a transient change of rhythm in the heart.

If the latter, you get put on coumadin. That takes about four months to get right, where 4 out of 5 weekly indexes of how thin the blood is are between two and three times the normals (population indexed normals). If it's a critical carotid narrowing, you get sent to a surgeon for consideration of getting the carotid artery cleaned out.

If it's both you get both. As you know more, send offline :-0

Last edited:
Bruce,David, Mike and POA I thank you.

It is a hard time but I face these thanks to many years of wonderful support of people who like the gang here at POA just do what they can to help others. I have never been in a situation like this ever. I feel like a fresh "student Pilot" who is learning a new world. My bride who is a NYC girl I can't thank enough has asked me to keep a diary going and who knows we will be so happy to help others.

Bruce;

I cannot say enough thanks. I did ask my Dr. about a "rotor router job" and he told me it is not yet there and we are working on a treatment plan. So far so good. I will go thruogh more testing and get more information with time. Time will tell. My partner called me today wants me to teach him about fine tuning the landings in the plane we share, A Beech C33. I said that I will be the old nag in the back seat. He appreciated it and told me that I can steer and I said " somebody got to keep you on course". I gave him all of my power settings to help him save fuel and mentioned "cross country climbs' VFR to save fuel.

Dave, Mike and POA; encouragement is the sauve of what our avaition community is all about. It could not be better and I cannot thank you all enough. We will keep posting and helping this very special community.

Here, John, you are among friends. I know what you're feeling now, just hang in there and listen to the good docs (the one here and the ones there).

John,

Wishes from here for good luck and good success on Doc's orders.

Y'all let us know if we can help in any way.

Spike and Bill;

Thank you both for your encouragement. I am very optimistic about this and with time I will just work with the docs. I cannot say enough about how great this aviation community is. That what makes flying so much fun. I will be glad to keep you all posted and I hope I can help others.

Thanks again.

John

John:

Sorry I didn't get to this thread earlier!! I'm glad things are going well and you're gettting the support you need. Please keep us informed and keep posting!!

Best,

Dave

Dave;

Thank you a milllion times; I do enjoy os much reading you adventures with the 58P. I got to go and hang out today with good old 29S a 1966 Beech Debonair. Gosh I had fun testing LOP in it and I got it down to 9 per hour just before this medical thing hit. I got 9 and 149 knots out of it. Today I spent time with my partner getting him to look at LOP operations. WE are going to go up and work the numbers and I am so excited. Yes I am the"nag" in the right seat or what ever but it will be fun. I am very optomistic in the realistic sense about the medical. I always look at those silver linnings in the dark clouds of life. I remember so much in the service in VN looking to the future and feeling so good about it. It gets you through in those dark times. We will be here and will keep posting and sharing stories.

I cannot say enough how much appreciate all the notes that this community has sent to me. Again I cannot thank you enough.

John

Well John, we'll haveta get you in the right seat of this plane sometime!! Lot's of neat stuff to fool with. Actually, in any kind of bad weather, this plane can keep a co-pilot busy full time. Between the radar, dual GPSs, engine management and talking to Flight Watch, the right seater can be pretty busy. Perhaps we can link up at one of these get togethers. Any chance you'll be at ABS here in Addison in a few weeks?

Dave

My mother just had this a few weeks ago. They still haven't determined a cause - her brain MRI shows some abnormalities but they might just be aging (age 61). She's had thyroid and BP trouble for years.

It also came on in dehydration conditions - humid morning walk.

Get well soon, and please keep us up to date. It might help my Mom.

John J said:
Spike and Bill;

Thank you both for your encouragement. I am very optimistic about this and with time I will just work with the docs. I cannot say enough about how great this aviation community is. That what makes flying so much fun. I will be glad to keep you all posted and I hope I can help others.

Thanks again.

John

You are so right about these folks. Many of us have benefitted from untold kindnesses. I do hope everything works out for the best for you and I hope your problem turns out to be something easy to deal with.

Mark;

Your mom is my age and interesting my doctor today brought up the Dehydration problem. I ride a an old regular bike 7-9 miles early in the morning in the high humidity we have had here for the last two months. My doctor asked me how much water I take in a day. I told him that I drink close to 1.0 to 1.5 gallons aday, for when I am not working I love to be out side working on projects and of course being at airports.

I appreciate you note for it tells me that maybe just maybe there is some sort of connection to dehydration and TIA. Thank you so much. I hope with learning about this I can share with others to help out.

John

Joh

Carol;

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I cannot say enough thanks for all of the people hear on POA. I can see that you fly a Comanche C model. I got to fly a 1972 C Comanche and put about 50 hours in it. That was over 30 years ago. Loved flying it. A very close friend has a 1965 260 and he is going to get me in the right side so I can fly again. As I feel today I am so lucky to be here and enjoy what we have.

Thanks again

John

Dave Siciliano said:
Well John, we'll haveta get you in the right seat of this plane sometime!! Lot's of neat stuff to fool with. Actually, in any kind of bad weather, this plane can keep a co-pilot busy full time. Between the radar, dual GPSs, engine management and talking to Flight Watch, the right seater can be pretty busy. Perhaps we can link up at one of these get togethers. Any chance you'll be at ABS here in Addison in a few weeks?

Dave

Dave

I cannot say enough thanks; I told my bride that I would like to get to ABS this year and combine a trip to her family over near Palestine. The dates are a problem for we had been planing a trip to Texas in late September early October to Palestine and Austin. ABS I do believe in early September. please correct me if I am wrong.

I would love to be the guy on the right side. I always love over there for I get to set up the management to make it easy for the Captain (you to just fly the plane) I do have a very small amount of time in B55s but no 58 time. Does your 58P have the Props on the left as in the B55 and throttles in the Middle? Walter Beech did that so that pilots on either side could reach the throttles . By the way. My bride of many years tells me I am really good on the radio and paper work. I would be honored to be on the right side of your Baron 58P

I cannot say enough thanks to you and so many others for in this fog of transition from having great health to having a situation of being very fragile. Each day is a great new day is full of new adventures and positive rewards.

John

[ ABS I do believe in early September. please correct me if I am wrong.
=============================
September 7 to 11 John.

Does your 58P have the Props on the left as in the B55 and throttles in the Middle? Walter Beech did that so that pilots on either side could reach the throttles .
=====================
Geesh John! You really ask the hard questions, let me drive out to the hanger and look :rolleyes:

By the way. My bride of many years tells me I am really good on the radio and paper work. I would be honored to be on the right side of your Baron 58P
=====================
We'll make a point of it then!!

Dave

Dave;

I wish I could come to the ABS convention in Addison. But can't get there. I hope to come to Texas in early October or very late September.

I hope you got to go out and look at your plane today. I sure did :)

John

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back