Scary or "Learned about flying from..."

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
1,820
Display Name
saracelica
One of my FB friends posted this article that she wrote that got published.
http://www.flyhpa.com/2013/09/going-missed/

Seemed a little on the "scary" side as in - she should've spoke up. She claims at the end she should've. Hoping experience people will give their insight. Is it "Learned about flying from this..." or "She should've waited for conditions to be better to drop off or get a CFII to tag along"
 
There's a certain element of "I learned about flying from this", but...

Taking off into low IFR along your route with (what sounds like) barely legal reserves and/or not watching your reserves until they are dangerously low (couldn't shoot missed & divert)?:mad2:.

Planning on sneaking under deteriorating 400ft ceilings? S.C.U.D.-running at best!
 
She is also active as a mission pilot in the Civil Air Patrol

Case dismissed, bring in the dancing lobsters.

Seriously though, poor judgement all the way around (pot meet kettle) but she shouldn't have been flying in that weather. I fly piston singles for a living - have scared myself once in weather. Call me a *****, but I'd rather be careful than dead. If there isn't more than 1,000' ceilings within 50 miles then I'm staying on the ground.

The mechanic who works on our company airplane told me today when I brought it in for some maintenance - "You are a totally different pilot than the last guy!" I said "well, I hope that is a good thing." He said "Not unless being a conservative and thoughtful decision maker is a bad thing!" That's what I like to hear. I've come a long way.
 
At 400' reported ceilings I would not take off. If you lose your engine you are so screwed - ESPECIALLY over a busy area like Houston. I'm not sure what having a CFII along would do, other than hopefully tell her it's not a good day to fly. They can't control the weather - they couldn't have gotten in on any of those approaches either.


Edit: Also I forgot to add all my fancy letters

CP-ASMEL IA TW HP/Complex Angel flight, PnP, tow pilot, EAA, P.I.M.P.

E I E I O

Edit to my edit: I especially cannot believe she took off in this weather after her engine failure - she of all people should know that **** does indeed happen.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a productive learning experience that she walked away from. Good read! Thank you for sharing.
 
There but for the grace of.......

I did a fair amount of IFR along the Gulf Coast, including shooting the ILS into KNEW (and Brazoria) to minimums. For someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with low-level ground fog & the way it sets in, something like this is a real opportunity to learn. (Like mountain flying, there is regional knowledge that one gains through training & experience). Likewise the route-around all of the Houston Class Bravo airspace.... unless familiar, one won't expect that (I used to fly from KSSF to Sugarland regularly - the routing and timing out of SGR depended on traffic arriving/departing the big airports as you would be "weaved" through the traffic on the STARS.... typical route from SGR to San Antonio was the Industry departure).

I would have been cautious about the lowering ceilings at Pearland, but a 400' ceiling would probably not have stopped me if I had the expectation of a fairly direct routing. (I've also got a faster plane). Note the condition I placed on that. The routing she got would have been a different matter (if you knew that in advance or expected it). Sounds like it was a "radar vectors" clearance.... yes, she should have spoken up. She won't do that again. Usually, if you go further inland along the gulf coast the ceilings will improve. Not always, but usually. Marine layer and all that.

I learned the lesson one night out practicing instrument approaches. I shot the ILS up at San Marcus & realized the visibility was dropping more than expected. I requested an amended clearance back to SSF, noting that the reported ceilings were dropping a bit. Got SSF in-sight & asked for the visual. I could see the airport and runways clearly - when I contacted tower, they wanted to send me back to approach for a full approach as tower was claiming visibilities below VFR mins (I could still clearly see the runway). I asked for contact approach, it was granted. As I dropped below 200' on final, the visibility vanished - before I could push the power lever up, I was below the very thin layer (25-50' thick) with great visibility of the entire runway, and landed. By the time I taxiied to the hangar, the fog had settled in and the horizontal visibility was below 500' as I was leaving the airport by car. I was home 20-ish minutes later and by that time SAT was Cat II. Oh, the reports were also showing tops at about 1000' - marine layer, ground fog, whatever you want to call it.

San Marcos to Stinson is in the same ballpark distance-wise as Pearland to Hooks. I was given direct. Stinson is also south of San Marcos, so I was flying more toward the coast, meaning it would probably drop faster than San Marcos.

Lots of lessons learned from the experience. Biggest takeaway is to monitor temp/dewpoint spread, speak up to controllers, and be alert to conditions. Weather on-board helps, BUT the update cycle is slow enough that it may well not show dropping ceilings - onboard weather is more focused on radar.

Glad she got down safely. She learned something about flying near the gulf. She was smart enough to file CLL as the alternate (further inland) but fuel would have been an issue given her actual routing.
 
I know this comment is going to sound odd, but please hear me out.

This story reflects the reason I decided to stop my IFR training about halfway through (after I got to the point where I could shoot approaches pretty well under the hood).

My reasoning was that knowing myself, I would end up tempting fate at some point because "I was IFR rated". Flying out here means the vast majority of my flights wouldn't need IFR, and I wouldn't be using it much beyond the basic minimum necessary to keep it current. As I was progressing in my learning, I started developing a serious concern - I could just envision the day when weather would be iffy and I would end going out anyway because I was IFR, and not come back.

I decided to just stay VFR and thereby establish a hard personal minimum that way. And in one situation it has proven itself to be the right decision, when I came back from Santa Fe; I am fairly certain I would have tried crossing the Sierras in IMC on that day had I been rated, instead of adding a couple of hours to my trip to go south and around. I only later found out just how bad conditions actually were, even though at the time I took off after refueling at Tonopah the reports made it seem possible. I doubt the 182 would have made it through in one piece.

I think I may resume training for IFR when after I get a couple hundred more hours in the plane - I just don't think my judgment is good enough yet (I'm at about 250).

Has anyone else ever had this thought?
 
I hope she learned something from that flight,just reinforced my beliefs in how I fly IMC.set my own personal minimums ,always have a way out,stay away from fog and ice. I enjoy flying IMC most of the time.
 
I know this comment is going to sound odd, but please hear me out.

This story reflects the reason I decided to stop my IFR training about halfway through (after I got to the point where I could shoot approaches pretty well under the hood).

My reasoning was that knowing myself, I would end up tempting fate at some point because "I was IFR rated". Flying out here means the vast majority of my flights wouldn't need IFR, and I wouldn't be using it much beyond the basic minimum necessary to keep it current. As I was progressing in my learning, I started developing a serious concern - I could just envision the day when weather would be iffy and I would end going out anyway because I was IFR, and not come back.

I decided to just stay VFR and thereby establish a hard personal minimum that way. And in one situation it has proven itself to be the right decision, when I came back from Santa Fe; I am fairly certain I would have tried crossing the Sierras in IMC on that day had I been rated, instead of adding a couple of hours to my trip to go south and around. I only later found out just how bad conditions actually were, even though at the time I took off after refueling at Tonopah the reports made it seem possible. I doubt the 182 would have made it through in one piece.

I think I may resume training for IFR when after I get a couple hundred more hours in the plane - I just don't think my judgment is good enough yet (I'm at about 250).

Has anyone else ever had this thought?

If you didn't want to tempt fate you wouldn't fly at all. An IR rating is just another tool, and like any tool (eh hem, BRS) it can be misused. Personal minimums and discipline are crucial traits in a safe pilot. I encourage you to finish up your training.
 
One of my FB friends posted this article that she wrote that got published.
http://www.flyhpa.com/2013/09/going-missed/

Seemed a little on the "scary" side as in - she should've spoke up. She claims at the end she should've. Hoping experience people will give their insight. Is it "Learned about flying from this..." or "She should've waited for conditions to be better to drop off or get a CFII to tag along"

It was learning experience for her. By sharing it, hopefully it will be a learning experience for others. Sounds like she had to make an off airport landing prior to this (non pilot induced engine failure), so her experience bag has filled quickly in a relatively short period of time...with the luck bag getting a little lighter as well...
 
Back
Top