Scary Landing / Confidence Takes It

Funkeruski

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Funkeruski
Scary Landing / Confidence Takes Hit

I've pretty much finished all the requirements, and just need to do the prep work for my checkride. Today, I flew over to an uncontrolled airport about 20 miles from home base with the intention of practicing short/soft field landings and takeoffs. The destination airport's runway is 14, and when I left the winds there were 120 at 9. No problems there. So, I take off, and when I get there a few mins later, the winds have shifted to 080 at 15-20. That makes things a bit more interesting.

I get in the pattern for my first landing, and overshoot final on my base leg due to the tail wind. I get it lined up and make a decent landing. Go around on my second attempt and overshoot again. Get lined up again and am crabbing to the runway. On short final, I transition to a sideslip for the cross wind. During the flare, I start getting blown off the the right as I guess I don't have my left wing down enough. Keep getting blown and then get the scared ****less feeling that this isn't going to end well. It hit the ground moving somewhat sideways and the tires screech. Feels like I'm fixing to go on an off road adventure. Also feels like the plane is going to topple over on the right main and nose wheel, kind of like it did when you were a kid on a tricycle and took a corner to hard. Somehow, the plane righted itself before I went I to the grass. I slowed her down, caught my breath, and taxied to the ramp. I parked the plane, shut it down, and made sure nothing was broken. I then fired her up, and got the hell out of there.

On the way back, I had pretty much decided that I was done with flying. The feeling of almost losing control scared the living hell out of me. Now, I probably would have survived, but it would have been one hell of a ride ending in a tore up plane. My landing at home was better, but not a greaser.

Needless to say, my confidence took a real hit today. Anyone out there have any similar stories to make me feel better. :). I can't imagine quitting this close, and I probably won't, but damn today sucked.

Last edited:
Not a big deal. I landed flat on my last landing today. I'll fix it when I fly tomorrow. There's no reason to give up.

You learned something today. Fix it next time with your instructor. Ask questions. Go up again in the same conditions and fix it.

I think you'll do ok.

The trick is knowing your limits, and pushing the limit a little at a time to expand your capabilities. You do not mention which aircraft you are flying, but 60 degrees off runway heading, at 15G20 may be close to the aircrafts published max limit. Many aircraft are limited to about 17 knots direct cross.

Don't try to expand your limits in one big bite, little nibbles. Part of the check ride, the examiner tries to evaluate your judgement. Your judgement in this example would have been to head back after the second botched pattern, or realizing a go around was in order when you noticed wing low flare was not tracking the runway the way you wanted. Time to power up and go find that runway more aligned with the wind.

I think you'll do ok. Getting scared and not bending metal teaches a lot.

It was a 172, and yes I probably should have just gone back after checking the Awos on the way there, or at least after my first landing. Probably bit off a little more than I could chew. Lesson learned.

My scary moment was a takeoff. I had a "wonderful" CFI back in 2003, who basically rode me for hours. I had no idea on speeds, altitudes, and he took me cross country with no planning, nothing at all. And I couldn't land even. I spent 13 hours and ran out of money.

Fast forward to 2009. My father found his ad in a newspaper and thought he'd check out the whole flying thing. Took me with him as an "expert". So we agreed, 1st leg my father will be at controls. I will be at controls at 2nd leg. So, when we get to airport, I realized that it was my old instructor. Since he already "knew me" he let me do the takeoff.

So, after being away from flying for 6 years, and in a plane that I never flew before, I have to takeoff in a crosswind. Fine. I start rolling, but not enough pedal action to compensate for the wind. I knew something's not kosher here, but the instructor just sits there. Ok, I thought it's good enough for him not to take the control. I continue rolling and I realize that I am about to be in the grass, since the takeoff roll is somewhat diagonal. So, I do something that my CFI showed to me ONCE 6 years ago, a soft field takeoff. That, miraculously, worked, and we lifted off ok.

That whole incident scared me pretty badly. I came back to flying only in 2011. And was very dubious about taking off. My CFI helped me a lot in that field. And even now, I'd rather land than takeoff.

Looking back, after actually doing these things (soft field takeoffs) solo, I can see that it was fairly irresponsible of that old CFI. We had total of 4 people onboard, and after not working with a student for 6 years, he should've grabbed the controls and fixed the issue.

Why did you continue the last approach even after (correctly) diagnosing that the outcome wouldn't be pretty?

I've pretty much finished all the requirements, and just need to do the prep work for my checkride. Today, I flew over to an uncontrolled airport about 20 miles from home base with the intention of practicing short/soft field landings and takeoffs. The destination airport's runway is 14, and when I left the winds there were 120 at 9. No problems there. So, I take off, and when I get there a few mins later, the winds have shifted to 080 at 15-20. That makes things a bit more interesting.

I get in the pattern for my first landing, and overshoot final on my base leg due to the tail wind. I get it lined up and make a decent landing. Go around on my second attempt and overshoot again. Get lined up again and am crabbing to the runway. On short final, I transition to a sideslip for the cross wind. During the flare, I start getting blown off the the right as I guess I don't have my left wing down enough. Keep getting blown and then get the scared ****less feeling that this isn't going to end well. It hit the ground moving somewhat sideways and the tires screech. Feels like I'm fixing to go on an off road adventure. Also feels like the plane is going to topple over on the right main and nose wheel, kind of like it did when you were a kid on a tricycle and took a corner to hard. Somehow, the plane righted itself before I went I to the grass. I slowed her down, caught my breath, and taxied to the ramp. I parked the plane, shut it down, and made sure nothing was broken. I then fired her up, and got the hell out of there.

On the way back, I had pretty much decided that I was done with flying. The feeling of almost losing control scared the living hell out of me. Now, I probably would have survived, but it would have been one hell of a ride ending in a tore up plane. My landing at home was better, but not a greaser.

Needless to say, my confidence took a real hit today. Anyone out there have any similar stories to make me feel better. :). I can't imagine quitting this close, and I probably won't, but damn today sucked.

My grandfather, my flying idol, told me this....

Even when you get 10,000 hours and fly for airlines, you'll still have rough landings. There is no such thing as a perfect landing, only ones where you live, and ones where you die.

Why did you continue the last approach even after (correctly) diagnosing that the outcome wouldn't be pretty?

That point didn't come until very late, and I was only inches off the ground. I do remember the idea of doing a go around did flash through my mind, but I just felt like it was too late, if there is such a thing. I have done a go around in a similar situation before, but I was higher when the go around decision was made that time.

Your judgement in this example would have been to head back after the second botched pattern, or realizing a go around was in order when you noticed wing low flare was not tracking the runway the way you wanted. Time to power up and go find that runway more aligned with the wind.

Exactly what I did on my first solo cross country. One runway, winds picked up way more than forecast, two laps around the pattern and I just couldn't manage to get in enough crosswind correction. I saw other pilots landing but after my second go around, I said freak this!:hairraise: and went back home. Winds at home were howling also but we had two runways. My CFI was a little worried when I got back but was glad that I didn't push it (knowing that I couldn't log a XC since I didn't land).

I was only inches off the ground. I do remember the idea of doing a go around did flash through my mind, but I just felt like it was too late
I'm curious what the experts 'round here have to say about this... this is something that I can see myself doing as well (feeling like it's "too late" to do a go around when you're only inches above the ground).

Has anyone done a go-around when they were only inches above the ground? Is it recommended/not recommended?

I'm curious what the experts 'round here have to say about this... this is something that I can see myself doing as well (feeling like it's "too late" to do a go around when you're only inches above the ground).

Has anyone done a go-around when they were only inches above the ground? Is it recommended/not recommended?

Sure, Why not.. If it doesn't feel right, the best time to bail is when your speed it the greatest, not deteriorating, like half way to taxi speed....

I practice go - arounds with a touch and go involved, I just let the mains hit and then add full power to climb back in the air... Ya have to remember, stay in control. And by having the airflow high enough across the control surfaces your odds are increased for a safe recovery... IMHO.

Ben.

I agree with Ben. Lots of reasons to go around even that low- wind gusts, critters running on runway (not directly in front of you) and so forth.

I have never liked the crab and kick method of landing in Xwind. Still don't; slipping down final gives you a better perspective on what will be required. Probably my skill level problem, but the crab just doesn't translate in my brain to a precise slip at the last minute.

When it comes to go arounds better late than never. No problem going around after touch down.

I just had my first GA when it was so late the mains touched. We were landing HTO. It was his leg so I'm doing PM duties...checklists and such. It's a nice VFR day so I'm pretty relaxed and looking out the window without a care in the world.

The runway is filling the window and out of the corner of my eye something moves and catches my attention. It's not just a deer, but a freaking HERD of deer are crossing the runway (not very far away either) and it's not clear that impact isn't a certianty. I yell go around! And I reach over and jam the power levers up. The planes mains did touch and I was just starring at this deer (i had picked one in my mind and decided thats to one we're going to hit) wondering if we'd clear it. As we flew over I expected to feel the 'jolt' of the mains clipping it. That jolt never came.

We circled around and landed. I looked for fur on the mains and half expected to find some. There was none. Funny how your blood stream co go from zero adrenaline to off the chart in 1 millisecond.

So, yup. Going around is good whenever that's safer than not going around.

I have never liked the crab and kick method of landing in Xwind. Still don't; slipping down final gives you a better perspective on what will be required. Probably my skill level problem, but the crab just doesn't translate in my brain to a precise slip at the last minute.

If it's just me in the plane, I slip longer. But I find that pax are less comfortable with slips, so for them I use the crab and transition to a slip at the end. By the time the passenger thinks "whoa this feels weird" we're on the runway.

Tracey, coming in to land and holding the plane off the ground 2-3' the length of the runway, but do not land, adding just enough power to keep flying, but not land. Someday you will need it and it is a tool in your bag of tricks. A go around can be done at anytime, remember all those T&G's? ;)

OP, try touching one wheel on the ground to stop the drift. Certainly doable in a 172. In a heavy cross wind this will stop drift until your wings stall. Maintain directional control at all times and you are good to go.

In a situation where the wind goes higher than your experience or comfort level find another airport with better runway to wind relationships for an hour or two. Land on the grass runwayway or even a taxi way to cut the cross wind component down.

No need to panic, just come up with a better plan to match the situation. The time to panic is in the bar. ;)

Last edited:
I think his knowledge gap is centered around "how much power to use and when." The bad news is that he's right, things can get ugly and airplanes can get bent if corrective actions aren't taken. The good news is that the corrections aren't particularly hard to learn.

Flying the centerline in landing configuration for the entire length of a long runway at 1' AGL with just enough power to remain airborne is a cure-all drill for many problems, and would help greatly in this situation. Doing a few times in a crosswind will improve his performance immeasurably.

The use of power to correct or reject (abort) an approach/landing that has gone awry can vary depending on the situation, and pilots should be taught to recognize the differences and react accordingly. The default should be go-around power, which in most light airplanes is full throttle, since that provides an escape from the threat and allows the pilot time to reassess the situation. Go-arounds can be initiated at any time, and if the airplane touches down are nothing more than touch-and-go's that weren't planned until needed.

Partial power can be used to realign, recover from a bounce, re-establish landing attitude and recover from many other mis-steps, but requires a bit more practice as well as the understanding that the NTSB reports are full of botched attempts to save landings when a better choice would have been a go-around.

If I were flying with Funk, I'd suggest that we devote a practice session to these drills, after which I'd be willing to bet he would have it figured out.

If it's just me in the plane, I slip longer. But I find that pax are less comfortable with slips, so for them I use the crab and transition to a slip at the end. By the time the passenger thinks "whoa this feels weird" we're on the runway.

+1 (plus a little more as '+1' is too short to post)

I think his knowledge gap is centered around "how much power to use and when." The bad news is that he's right, things can get ugly and airplanes can get bent if corrective actions aren't taken. The good news is that the corrections aren't particularly hard to learn.

Flying the centerline in landing configuration for the entire length of a long runway at 1' AGL with just enough power to remain airborne is a cure-all drill for many problems, and would help greatly in this situation. Doing a few times in a crosswind will improve his performance immeasurably.

The use of power to correct or reject (abort) an approach/landing that has gone awry can vary depending on the situation, and pilots should be taught to recognize the differences and react accordingly. The default should be go-around power, which in most light airplanes is full throttle, since that provides an escape from the threat and allows the pilot time to reassess the situation. Go-arounds can be initiated at any time, and if the airplane touches down are nothing more than touch-and-go's that weren't planned until needed.

Partial power can be used to realign, recover from a bounce, re-establish landing attitude and recover from many other mis-steps, but requires a bit more practice as well as the understanding that the NTSB reports are full of botched attempts to save landings when a better choice would have been a go-around.

If I were flying with Funk, I'd suggest that we devote a practice session to these drills, after which I'd be willing to bet he would have it figured out.

Excellent explination!! :yes::thumbsup::yeahthat:

If the wind is of sufficient strength that it might be a factor, I want to know earlier rather than later if I will have enough rudder.

I think your problem is that you need to fly with smarter passengers. Mine are OK with the 10 second explanation "if the approach feels funny, it's because we're correcting for a cross-wind. That's why one wing is lower.":D

It isn't a learning experience if the pucker factor doesn't kick in a little bit. I remember the first time doing stalls solo, or the first long cross country and coming in behind a jet and experiencing their wake turbulence.

Don't let this experience scare you away. Learn from it, download what you learned, apply it and get back out there. Talk about it with your instructor and have them tag along for some more landings. You will see that the experience is helping make you a better pilot.

I was kind of surprised to read this post. This is EXACTLY what happened to me yesterday. Like down to a tee. I was chatting with my instructor at KCVN, and he signs me off for my first solo XC. Of course I'm pretty excited, it's a very nice day absolutely no wind when I take off, but I begin the trek to 2T1. I fly about 15 minutes, find the strip, and start a downwind for runway 25. When I am on base-final I notice I am getting a pretty strong crosswind, but no biggie I deal with crosswinds every day here. As I'm coming in on final I just couldnt get the XW crab perfect, and scared the bejesus out of myself, parked it for a minute and checked everything. Once I saw that everything was ok I got in and shot 4-5 more landings but I never had one I was pleased with. The airport had a direct XW, and the windsock was fully extended. At KCVN the windsock was completely limp when I left and came back.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rrgoen

"Funny how your blood stream co go from zero adrenaline to off the chart in 1 millisecond."

So true.

To the OP don't feel bad, just take it as a learning experience. Hell, I scared myself pretty damn good just a couple days ago. I was landing a 172 with winds 7g14, not too much of a crosswind component. Everything was completely routine until I started the roundout. I made the mistake of getting a little slow when in fact I should have been carrying a few EXTRA knots to compensate for the gust factor. At about 10 ft above the runway the headwind must have died a little and I started dropping like a rock. For a split second I thought I was about to bend some metal, but the training kicked in and I immediately added full power to go around. The mains actually did softly touch down, but I hopped right back into ground effect to build some speed and execute the go around. Definitely hurt my confidence, but in the end nothing broke and a lesson was learned.

Couple points

• As above, get back on the horse.
  • Take a look at my YT channel, at the F45 landings. There are a couple of hairy ones in there, 10:45 and 13:50. This is me learning to fly a tailwheel airplane and it is a lot hairier in the moment than on the video. Notice I did not park the airplane. See below:
  • I learned to fly in a 152 at a largish towered airport. One time I was practing short field landings and did not realize that my skill set was not up to full flaps and a strong crosswind. I bounced, did not have enough wing down, and was blown completely north of the runway. Low and slow and full flaps and carb heat, off the runway and heading directly for a small building. I put full power, forgot about carb heat, and started bringing the flaps up. I resisted the temptation to pull back on the yoke as I neared the little building, and finally had enough speed to climb out. Tower came on "Three Juliet Tango, you are clear to LAND." Negative, I replied, prefer to return to the practice area. Roger, make right traffic. I knew it was not a good idea to end on that note. Some time later, I passed my PPL, and finally confessed my excursion to my CFI. Yes, he said, the tower called us and said one of our students almost ate it on 9R. Kudos to them that they never mentioned that call to me.
  • It is all part of the process, my friend. You are learning a somewhat difficult skill. You will make mistakes. You will survive! And the airplane is insured.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments folks. To make matters worse, there was a plane at the hold short line to takeoff after I landed, so I provided him some entertainment. Felt like teeing off on the first tee with an audience. Should have done the go around when I overshot final on my base leg.

Gonna go up with the CFI for some xwind practice, but my home base only has one runway, and good crosswinds are fairly rare. Might have to fly a ways from home to find a runway with a crosswind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments folks. To make matters worse, there was a plane at the hold short line to takeoff after I landed, so I provided him some entertainment. Felt like teeing off on the first tee with an audience.

This one of the amazing axioms of aviation. You can make a dozen greaser landings unseen, but the instant you look like an airshow clown, the whole airport has nothing better to do than to stand around watching you... Again, been there and done that.

Thanks for the comments folks. To make matters worse, there was a plane at the hold short line to takeoff after I landed, so I provided him some entertainment. Felt like teeing off on the first tee with an audience. Should have done the go around when I overshot final on my base leg.

Gonna go up with the CFI for some xwind practice, but my home base only have one runway, and good crosswinds are fairly rare. My have to fly aways from home to find a runway with a crosswind.
It'll come in time. I hope to fly later today and hopefully provide no more than entertainment to the tower crew at KLNK.

Gonna go up with the CFI for some xwind practice, but my home base only have one runway, and good crosswinds are fairly rare. My have to fly aways from home to find a runway with a crosswind.

Make sure you practice crab as much as you can and its not always in the pattern. If you're just going to the practice area then maybe follow a road to get there. See how the wind affects your track. Fly slower to make it even more pronounced.

Most students race out to the practice area to save hobbs time. Well, I say the commute to the practice area can be practice too.

Also, try flying into a stiff head wind (if winds are our of the east then fly east) to intercept a crossing road (a North South road in this case). Don't undershoot. Again, fly slow to make to effect grater. Now turn it around and intercept on a Westerly heading and don't overshoot. In this case go faster to make it even harder.

There's my ideas. Of course pattern work is invaluable too. I'm just suggesting things you can do when you may not of thought you could do anything.

As others have said, it's never too late to go around as long as you have speed. Just recently I had tacked on a few extra knots for a crosswind, but right as I was rounding out, it became a tailwind. I floated...and floated...and floated until I finally said "enough" and went around.

I can totally relate...two airplanes were sitting at the hold short line while I was on final (solo), and I didn't apply enough crosswind correction. Not quite sure how, maybe the winds kicked up on me, but I had probably the ugliest landing of my life. I went skipping down the runway like a stone on water. Disgusting. Never going to happen again because I'll feel it coming, but it felt awful to do that right in front of people. I'm sure that if a CFI was in one of those planes, I became a teaching point.

Gonna go up with the CFI for some xwind practice, but my home base only has one runway, and good crosswinds are fairly rare. Might have to fly a ways from home to find a runway with a crosswind.

Lucky you...my airport has one runway, and if the AWOS isn't reporting a good crosswind, you can generally suspect that the AWOS is out of whack. Though it does make for some great crosswind practice :)

Wasn't it Senator Inhofe who claimed that he landed over men and equipment on the runway because "there is a point of no return" beyond which going around is not an option? Horse puckey. You can always go around, and failing to do so when the situation calls for it is the sign of a rookie.

Bob Gardner

From the Senator Inhofe story the point of no return was when he got in his car with the desire to fly.

:rolleyes:

That point didn't come until very late, and I was only inches off the ground. I do remember the idea of doing a go around did flash through my mind, but I just felt like it was too late, if there is such a thing. I have done a go around in a similar situation before, but I was higher when the go around decision was made that time.
If the plane is still airworthy, obstacles are not a factor, vis and ceiling are workable, and you have enough fuel for at least one more circuit, it's not too late. In other words, 99% of the time, it's not too late to go around. Even after you've touched down, it's not too late.
With such wind, it may not have turned out better the next time, but IMHO it's better to try again than to try to save a bad landing.
Don't be discouraged- after all, you did salvage that landing, and that takes more than just luck. Some day you will do better in the same situation... and some day you just as badly, even when conditions are much more benign. :D Just about every pilot makes some crappy landings at some point, even after many years of flying.

Re: Scary Landing / Confidence Takes Hit

Here is your prime error in this entire scenario, this is the lesson you should learn from that and what would be the better option not only on a check ride but every day as well:

When that feeling hits is when you bail out and go around. THAT is the deciding point on when to go around or not, and that is the trickiest part of a go around is figuring out the point at which to initiate one. When the 'Oh crap, this is gonna be ugly' thought hits, the autonomic response to that should be, "let's get the f- out of here" and shove the throttle in right there and then; not to ride it out and see what happens. Also, you quit flying the airplane from the sounds of it and became a spectator at that point, again, "Fly the airplane until it comes to a stop" is job one above all else.

Just figure today's lesson taught/reinforced two of the most important lessons in flying, take those lessons to heart (good thing about mistakes that scare the crap out of you is that there is a much lower likelihood of repeating them lol), learn from them and go forth and sin no more. Use positive command force to guide the plane where it needs to go at all times under all circumstances and when it's getting ugly it's better to get out earlier than later. If it looks like it's gonna be ugly, chances are real good it's gonna be.

Last edited:
I hear ya on the crosswind landing challenges. On a recent xc back from Hartford CT returning to Islip I had a rough landing. Tuned into the ATIS and heard gusts up to 21. That's beyond my comfort zone but landing is not an option so I gave it a shot. Kept us on the runway but the 172 was definitely a handful on touch down. Felt like I got a gust that lifted the wing and tilted us forward. Everything I could do to get that wing back down. Scared me a bit and I let out an,"o.....". Got a chuckle from my passenger after we landed safely.

It's probably a good thing to get a little nervous because it makes us appreciate safe choices even more. Plus, I now know I need more practice in those conditions.

Henning is correct about going around. Not so long ago I got a lecture from a former airline captain, airline training officer and check pilot, now working as an investigator on insurance claims (hey, I told you the airplane is insured, didn't I).

It was all about how GA pilots are way too reluctant to go around and how they need to practice the go-around so that it is automatic - landing not going the way you intended it to go? Go around.

Type A/B personality is a pop psychology cliche but pilots, IMO, are doers. It take a certain amount of follow-through to get a license and access to an airplane. We move forward, we think we can fix it. There is nothing wrong with thinking you can fix a bad landing if the control inputs you enter to fix are having the desired effect and you actually are fixing it and there is sufficient runway left. If not or if you are unsure then go around. Do not kid yourself.

The insurance incident referred to was in my Arrow. We had just bought the airplane and and had the top overhauled. I made a few flights from Miami to the Tampa area to perform break-in. After one flight, I noticed a slight bulge and a couple of pulled rivets in the wing above the left landing gear. Turned out to be a tear in a rib where the rear of the gear mounts. Made a few calls and discovered this is a weak area/design flaw and a not uncommon result of a hard landing. I knew my landings needed some work, hence my current work in the Luscombe but I had only put a half dozen landings in the airplane and did not think any of them terribly hard but the damage was there. Insurance covered it no problem and I looked at my shoes and said "yes sir" while getting a nicely-put lecture about go-arounds.

Point being to make practicing go-arounds a part of normal landing practice. I will go out and practice 15 crosswind landings. In how many do I pretend a moose just ran on the runway as I am flaring? Not enough of them. But I will practice engine-out on upwind. When push comes to shove, we do what we train and if we do not train go-arounds regularly we will probably continue to try to fix it until we have broken something.

Re: Scary Landing / Confidence Takes Hit

I think everyone has had days like this. I'm always really hard on myself, and when I have a bad day my instructor tells me that I'm not the only one who's had this problem; or a bad landing; whatever. Just get back out there and do it again- and try to do it better. I find it's comforting for me to know people have gone through exactly what I have- people who excel now haven't always been great. Just stay optimistic; I have to force myself to, but it works for me. I like to think of my bad days as learning days- I learn what not to do and I think those are the days I learn the most. Don't give up.

You can go around from any point including with the wheels on the ground. Often the best option on a bounced landing is to go around. A touch and Go is nothing but a go around with your wheels on the ground. The plane flies the same at 1' as it does at 1000', Horsepower is always your friend.

LOL, you can be assured anytime you mess up there will be an audience. What's best is if you're at a towered field and you can hear the people in the background dying laughing at you when the controller calls you to go to ground....:rolleyes:

Even after thousands of hours, you'll still screw the pooch on a landing here and there.

Back