SC plane crash

Hanging upside down for 4 hours while water was coming into the cockpit with the airport right across the street would suck. Wonder if the ELT went off.

Last edited:
Does this qualify as a "good landing"? After all, any landing you walk away from...

Looks like an RV to me. My google skills(or lack thereof) aren't finding anything. Can't read the tail number.

Looks like an RV to me.
Not hardly. All those pulled rivets, the cowling and forward hinged canopy says it's a Zenith. I'd guess a 601.
Compare this:
3585946_G.jpg

to this:
xlb1.jpg

Is the 601 available in a taildragger configuration? I only took a quick gander at their site and didn't see one but the fat wing and canopy of the pic you posted sure seems to match the accident aircraft.

Is the 601 available in a taildragger configuration? I only took a quick gander at their site and didn't see one but the fat wing and canopy of the pic you posted sure seems to match the accident aircraft.

601hdtd.jpg

Interesting - can't find this one in the NTSB database.

They found a teaspoon of fuel. A whole teaspoon.

"A wing and a teaspoon"

Last edited:
A teaspoon of fuel makes the medicine go down, in the most delightful way

Fellow Aviators;

I understand that most of the comments are not malicious judgments, but lets keep in mind we are speaking of a human being here, not just a statistic or and internet moniker. Jerry Baak is a friend of mine, and I have tremendous respect for him. If you knew him personally, you would feel the same way. Yes, he made a mistake here, but he is man enough to admit it directly to everyone when he got out of the hospital. I have been in aviation for 25 years. That kind of honesty doesn't happen every day.

In person he is alert and thoughtful, his plane was a work of art. He has long service to this country flying demanding aircraft such as the RF-101 Voodoo, he is no Sunday pilot. Let the accident be a simple lesson that any of us, even people with great experience, can make an error.

I have been in experimental aviation long enough to have lost a number of treasured friends, all better men than myself. I can no longer look at pictures on any broken plane, even that of a stranger without thinking about them. It removes the temptation to comment on accidents where I don't know the pilot, the model of plane or anything about the circumstances.

I built the engine in Jerry's plane. Earlier in this thread there is a link to a story I wrote about Jerry's Plane. For those who would like to read a bit on risk management, look at this link: http://flycorvair.net/s=risk+management
It is worth considering, the information in it cost a terrible price, paid for men I still respect and consider friends, although they are no longer alive.

William Wynne
Flycorvair.com
Orange Park FL.

They found a teaspoon of fuel. A whole teaspoon.

"A wing and a teaspoon"

Since essentially no fuel was found in the tanks, I fail to understand the significance of his botched unusable fuel test...unless he calculated unusable fuel to be a negative value, and figuring he was still OK with zero fuel. ;)

Since essentially no fuel was found in the tanks, I fail to understand the significance of his botched unusable fuel test...unless he calculated unusable fuel to be a negative value, and figuring he was still OK with zero fuel. ;)

Dude, NOT zero. A teaspoon. :yesnod:

What I don't get - here's a guy with nearly 6,500 hours; including military experience in jets; commercial and multi-engine ratings. He spends several years of his life putting this plane together, flies it for 125 hours and then balls it up in a swamp for lack of a few dollars worth of hi-test unleaded auto gas?

The kicker - he was flying "Sport Pilot". Not helpful...

blogbaak051212d1.jpg

Here is my 3rd attempt to respond to this thread;

Perhaps you guys commenting on the actions of my friend Jerry Baak from the safety of fake email names would like to actually identify yourselves? I know Jerry, I built the engine in his plane, I built an identical 601XL-TD and flew it 400 hours, I wrote the book on his installation, I have a degree in accident investigation from Embry-Riddle, and I spoke to Jerry since the accident, so maybe I am in a good position to say that none of the comments I have read here are valid.

The dihedral in the wings drains the fuel when the plane is inverted. He was pretty sure had 2.5 gallons in each tank. Maybe the indication was wrong or it was unusable. It doesn't matter, he is an honest guy who admitted he made a mistake. He has a lot of time in service to this country flying planes like RF-101s. I have more respect for him that anyone who makes a smart comment about teaspoons from the safety of a keyboard and a fake email name.

PS to Mr. Papa Foxtrot; I am pretty sure Jerry is very good friends with Bob Barrows, the designer of the plane you are building. I don't know your name, but I am sure Bob can find it. Perhaps a different tone is in order when speaking of his friends.

William Wynne
Orange Park FL

It's only fun to make comments about accidents of others is you have never been in one, or had any of your friends killed in one. At that point the joke is over. Have you ever met someone who survived a serious plane crash? Stop by my booth #616 at Oshkosh and I will show you what being burned over 45% of your body looks like. I got it pulling my friend, who was PIC, out of our crash. He made a mistake, he admitted it and apologized to my family. I remain friends with him because he is simply an honest man who made a mistake. No lawyers, lies or lawsuits, just an admission and apology.

For those that would like to read a little more on risk management, follow this link: http://flycorvair.net/?s=risk+management
It is a collection of stories that involve a lot of my friends, all better men than myself, all gone now. I can't look at any picture of any accident without thinking about them. It removes the temptation to make idle comments on the mistakes of others.

William Wynne
Orange Park FL.

No fake name here William.

Pilots run out of fuel far too often and it makes us all look bad. It's just dumb all the way around and it's really hard to feel and/or give sympathy when it happens. And he did indeed run out of fuel.

Thankfully he survived. Thankfully he wasn't over a populated area.

That said, it's easy for me to sit in Mo and comment on a SC crash without emotion. If he was a friend of mine then I'd probably feel differently also.

Last edited:
Here is my 3rd attempt to respond to this thread;

Perhaps you guys commenting on the actions of my friend Jerry Baak from the safety of fake email names would like to actually identify yourselves? I know Jerry, I built the engine in his plane, I built an identical 601XL-TD and flew it 400 hours, I wrote the book on his installation, I have a degree in accident investigation from Embry-Riddle, and I spoke to Jerry since the accident, so maybe I am in a good position to say that none of the comments I have read here are valid.

The dihedral in the wings drains the fuel when the plane is inverted. He was pretty sure had 2.5 gallons in each tank. Maybe the indication was wrong or it was unusable. It doesn't matter, he is an honest guy who admitted he made a mistake. He has a lot of time in service to this country flying planes like RF-101s. I have more respect for him that anyone who makes a smart comment about teaspoons from the safety of a keyboard and a fake email name.

PS to Mr. Papa Foxtrot; I am pretty sure Jerry is very good friends with Bob Barrows, the designer of the plane you are building. I don't know your name, but I am sure Bob can find it. Perhaps a different tone is in order when speaking of his friends.

William Wynne
Orange Park FL

No alias here. If everything is as you say,n then your friend needs a psychiatric evaluation for senility or Alzhiemers before he gets in the cockpit or builds another plane again, because a man with those credentials would not in his right mind run a plane out of fuel or failed at doing his usable fuel test.

So either your buddy made an egregious dumb assed mistake, or he is losing his mind. Take your pick.

There's really no reason to fuel the fire "just because" at this point in time. That might be another candidate for "the dumbest post of the month club" though.

That is the most bizarre veiled threat that I've ever received. William, I try to follow the accident reports in an effort to learn. I'm not sure what in my comments is insulting to your friend, but having interacted with Bob Barrows on several occasions, I'm not very concerned that he will take any offense.

Tim, thank you for identifying yourself in posts, you have my respect, stop by my display at Oshkosh, I would like to shake your hand and buy you a coffee. Too few people in aviation conduct themselves with basic civility.

Mr. "Henning", consider this irony: You are incorrectly implying that my friend Jerry is trying to evade personal responsibility by blaming the machine. To my perspective, anyone you posts a public comment from the safety of a fake email name IS actually evading personal responsibility for their comments. People died to secure freedom of speech, perhaps the least we can do is use real name in exercising something that was bought for you as a very high priced gift. If your 33,000 posts in the last 10 years took two minutes each, that's 1100 hours of your life. I hope some of them had better content than the ones you have put here.

Running out of fuel is a dumb mistake, and it needs to happen less often. For that effect, the discussion needs to happen at a greater depth than saying things about teaspoons. The pilots that do it look a lot like the rest of us, so saying "don't fly with people visibly suffering from dementia" is not an adequate defensive strategy. Having more honest men speak plainly about the branch point in the decision tree where the took the wrong fork is going to be more effective than talking about teaspoons.

It is also ironic that anyone who's signature is followed by an anti-bureaucratic quote, or any person who is in favor of far less government or a person who has seen the FAA labyrinth...would then turn around and feel informed enough to pass harsh judgment on another airman, based on a single document produced by a highly bureaucratic branch of the government. If a two page bureaucratic report and one minute of local TV coverage is all that it takes to get people to condemn each other, things have gone a little far.

In 2001 I was a passenger in my own plane. The PIC made a mistake close to the ground and we crashed. I am covered in burn scars and skin grafts from my ankles to my forehead because I was soaked in fuel but went back to successfully extract the pilot. He made an honest mistake and apologized to my family for it. I forgave him and that ended it, no lawyers, lies or lawsuits. In the years since I have told hundreds of pilots the exact mistake sequence, and people have learned a lot more than speaking of dementia and teaspoons.

My website has a section called 'risk management reference page.' It has pictures and stories of many friends of mine, all dead now. Years ago I hoped that writing about them make me feel better, it didn't. Unless you are in the same position, it is hard to understand how thankful you might be that the list didn't get one name longer.

William Wynne
Orange Park FL.

To my perspective, anyone you posts a public comment from the safety of a fake email name IS actually evading personal responsibility for their comments. People died to secure freedom of speech, perhaps the least we can do is use real name in exercising something that was bought for you as a very high priced gift.

I think when Henning says that he's not hiding behind an alias, what he means is that if you click the link in his signature, you can readily get to this page, which lists his full name and credentials.

By all means say what you will of Henning's posts, but the claim that he's evading personal responsibility by use of a "fake email name" is a bit dubious.

Tim, thank you for identifying yourself in posts, you have my respect, stop by my display at Oshkosh, I would like to shake your hand and buy you a coffee. Too few people in aviation conduct themselves with basic civility.

Mr. "Henning", consider this irony: You are incorrectly implying that my friend Jerry is trying to evade personal responsibility by blaming the machine. To my perspective, anyone you posts a public comment from the safety of a fake email name IS actually evading personal responsibility for their comments. People died to secure freedom of speech, perhaps the least we can do is use real name in exercising something that was bought for you as a very high priced gift. If your 33,000 posts in the last 10 years took two minutes each, that's 1100 hours of your life. I hope some of them had better content than the ones you have put here.

Running out of fuel is a dumb mistake, and it needs to happen less often. For that effect, the discussion needs to happen at a greater depth than saying things about teaspoons. The pilots that do it look a lot like the rest of us, so saying "don't fly with people visibly suffering from dementia" is not an adequate defensive strategy. Having more honest men speak plainly about the branch point in the decision tree where the took the wrong fork is going to be more effective than talking about teaspoons.

It is also ironic that anyone who's signature is followed by an anti-bureaucratic quote, or any person who is in favor of far less government or a person who has seen the FAA labyrinth...would then turn around and feel informed enough to pass harsh judgment on another airman, based on a single document produced by a highly bureaucratic branch of the government. If a two page bureaucratic report and one minute of local TV coverage is all that it takes to get people to condemn each other, things have gone a little far.

In 2001 I was a passenger in my own plane. The PIC made a mistake close to the ground and we crashed. I am covered in burn scars and skin grafts from my ankles to my forehead because I was soaked in fuel but went back to successfully extract the pilot. He made an honest mistake and apologized to my family for it. I forgave him and that ended it, no lawyers, lies or lawsuits. In the years since I have told hundreds of pilots the exact mistake sequence, and people have learned a lot more than speaking of dementia and teaspoons.

My website has a section called 'risk management reference page.' It has pictures and stories of many friends of mine, all dead now. Years ago I hoped that writing about them make me feel better, it didn't. Unless you are in the same position, it is hard to understand how thankful you might be that the list didn't get one name longer.

William Wynne
Orange Park FL.

I don't mean to pile on, but you're awful defensive.

This is what got me to roll my eyes.

The dihedral in the wings drains the fuel when the plane is inverted. He was pretty sure had 2.5 gallons in each tank. Maybe the indication was wrong or it was unusable. It doesn't matter, he is an honest guy who admitted he made a mistake.

pretty sure and maybe can kill you. And it does matter, he balled up his plane and got a news crew to film it. Mother Teresa or Jeffrey Dahmer, this guy or Bernath.... doesn't matter, I'm sure he's a great guy but IMHO running out of fuel is inexcusable. ESPECIALLY for someone with his intelligence and experience.

If I ball up my plane doing something stupid, I'll fully expect the peanut gallery to chime in.

Oh, and this is the internet, people don't behave how you want them to.

Mr. "foxtrot"

My comment to you was not any kind of a threat whatsoever. It was just a polite direct reminder that experimental aviation has a much smaller, closer knit community of professionals than most builders understand. There is less anonymity, even when not using your name, than people assume. I point this out solely so that people don't say things that others may find offensive later. It pays to write things and ask questions about accidents as if you are using your real name and directly speaking to the man's best friend, because comments on the net last a long time and if you are in aviation for the long haul, accident reports are something to comment on with restraint.

If my tone seemed harsh, attribute it to a reaction to your post where you lifted the photo of my friend off my webpage, revealing his visual identity, and commented on it without revealing your own. I have gone back and read your remarks carefully, and in retrospect, I don't think you intended any offense, but I am still not in favor of any comment without an identity.

To illustrate my point about how connected long term professionals are, search Bob's name on my website and it will find many pictures of the two of us together over the years. He has always been good friends with my wife. You can see pictures of us at Oshkosh, building Bearhawk mounts in Georgia, Bob at our College, and flying together. I have immense respect for the man.

Bob has also lost friends in accidents, and one of these really stands out as a tragedy to him. Even though I have known Bob for years, I choose my words very carefully when discussing the model of aircraft that was involved in the accident, and I would never read the report and comment on the man's character. You wouldn't do this in person either, I am just suggesting not doing it on the net with assumed anonymity.

If you really want to learn something about risk management and avoiding accidents, come find me at Oshkosh, I will share a list of books on human factors and point out some good speakers on the forum schedule. Asking for feedback here where people pass judgment on invasion striped paint jobs and teaspoons of fuel forgetting the plane was inverted, is not likely to be as educational as some good reading of textbooks and listening to investigators in person

William Wynne
Orange Park FL

Back