SC Lt. Governor involved in plane crash.

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Story here: http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4940898

My hypothesis? Didn't follow soft field takeoff procedure. Anyone else want to take a guess before the NTSB swoops in and declares Mr. Bauer at fault?

(You know the only phrase they know is "Due to the Pilot in Command's decision/inability/stupidity...)

<SCRIPT TYPE="text/javascript" LANGUAGE="Javascript1.1" SRC="http://content.worldnow.com/global/interface/ge

methinks that link is busted

Given that other reports indicate there may have been engine trouble, I don't think I'll be quite so quick to start heaping blame with so little information.

Here's a copy from the site.

http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=4940898&ClientType=Printable said:
(Blacksburg) May 24, 2006 - Lieutenant Governor Andre Bauer needs surgery to repair damage to his left foot sustained when the plane he was flying crashed in Cherokee County shortly after take-off Tuesday night.
Bauer's office released details Wednesday afternoon on the extent of his injuries.
He spent the night in the intensive care unit of Greenville Memorial Hospital for treatment of a shattered left heel, cuts to his head and face, cuts to his knee, and other cuts and abrasions. The 37-year-old lieutenant governor is listed in good condition.
Meanwhile, Bauer's passenger, 77-year-old John Leonhardt Senior, is listed in serious condition in the intensive care unit of Spartanburg Regional Hospital.
The plane Bauer was flying ran into power lines, crashed and burst into flames shortly after take-off in Cherokee County. Passenger John Leonhardt Senior was pulled from the wreckage by a passer-by shortly before it exploded.
According to Captain Black with the Cherokee County 911, the crash happened on White Farm Road, which is near Interstate 85, at 6:28pm.
Bauer and John Leonhardt Sr., 77, who was the passenger, were conscious after the crash and were taken via helicopter to separate hospitals.
A spokesman for Bauer's office, Dave Lucas, says the 37-year-old lieutenant governor suffered injuries to his arm and leg, including a broken left ankle. Bauer's chief of staff Mike Easterday says the lieutenant governor was alert and in good spirits.
Leonhardt was taken to Spartanburg Regional where he is listed in serious condition in the intensive care unit.
The Federal Aviation Administration says the plane was a Mooney M-20-E fixed-wing single-engine aircraft registered to Bunk Aviation in Columbia. It was a four-seater plane.
Bauer bought the plane from Leonhardt three years ago. It had just had an annual check and a new engine installed.
Bauer's plane clipped trees after taking off from the dirt airstrip. Officials have not yet determined what caused the crash.
Jeremy Elliot lives near the airstrip. He says he saw Bauer on the ground crawling from the plane and helped pull Leonhardt from the wreckage about a minute before it exploded. Elliot says both men appeared to have cuts on their faces and broken bones.
Leonhardt's wife Azelea says once the men were away from the plane, it caught on fire.
Bill Dukes says Bauer has been a pilot for about a year and a half. Dukes says Bauer flies about eight hours a month, which he says is frequent. Sen. Knotts says Lt. Gov. Bauer is "very careful in the plane" when he flies.
Azalea Leonhardt says her husband is also a pilot and he has 40 year's experience.
Senator Harvey Peeler says Bauer flew to the area to visit a friend who had a death in the family. Azalea says the two men were on their way back home from the funeral.
The weather was sunny with light winds in the Upstate at the time of the crash.
Governor Mark Sanford has issued the following statement on news of the plane crash: "As we continue to gather additional information on Andre's condition, I'd ask every South Carolinian to join me, Jenny and the boys in saying a prayer for Andre and his family," Gov. Sanford said. "Andre and Mr. Leonhardt are obviously both fortunate that their injuries were not more serious, and as we learn further details about exactly what happened we'd pass along our best wishes for their recovery."
Mike Campbell, who is running against Bauer as candidate for Lieutenant Governor, also issued a statement on the crash: "Ruffin and I were deeply concerned to hear about the plane crash. Our thoughts and prayers are with Andre, John Leonhardt Sr., and their families. We wish them both a healthy and speedy recovery and ask the citizens of South Carolina to join us in our prayers."
During a Wednesday morning press conference, Bauer's chief of staff Mike Easterday said, "At this time, there is no indication of the cause of the accident. The accident is being investigated by the National Transportation Safety Board, which is standard procedure. President pro-tem senator Glenn McConnell is presiding over the senate today and tomorrow. The Lt. governors office and the office on aging are continuing as normal."
Lt. Gov. Bauer's campaign manager says it is too early to think about how the accident might affect Bauer's run for re-election.
The National Transportation Safety Board will be starting an investigation into the cause of the crash. It will be that organization that will have the final word on the cause. That will come after an extensive investigation that includes talking to witnesses, combing through the wreckage of the plane and interviewing Bauer and his passenger.
Updated 1:37pm by Chantelle Janelle with AP

Joe Williams said:
Given that other reports indicate there may have been engine trouble, I don't think I'll be quite so quick to start heaping blame with so little information.

Just a hypothesis and I do hope I'm wrong, but you have to admit that the NTSB will find any reason to not say that it was a mechanical issue.

"Lt. Gov. Bauer's campaign manager says it is too early to think about how the accident might affect Bauer's run for re-election."

What some guys will do to get their name in the news!!!!
I bet with in weeks you will have a press release/conference to the effect: " full recovery from his plane crash, he is running for reelection."

wbarnhill said:
Just a hypothesis and I do hope I'm wrong, but you have to admit that the NTSB will find any reason to not say that it was a mechanical issue.

"Engine failure due to pilot's failure to conduct an adequate preflight inspection of the crankshaft" :D

wbarnhill said:

Well, is he a D or an R?

wsuffa said:
Well, is he a D or an R?

R, and a good bit of controversy on him...

(Feel free to read up on the upcoming race for Lt. Gov. - http://www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=89035&section=stateregion )

But that's all beside the point here. (Trying to keep this from being shuffled over to that spinny area place.) Hopefully both he and his passenger get through this okay and want to get back in the air.

wbarnhill said:

You mean like no evidence of mechanical failure?

wbarnhill said:
Story here: http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4940898

My hypothesis? Didn't follow soft field takeoff procedure. Anyone else want to take a guess before the NTSB swoops in and declares Mr. Bauer at fault?

(You know the only phrase they know is "Due to the Pilot in Command's decision/inability/stupidity...)

...provided the pilot is not a member of a wealthy American royal family, in which case the cause would be "terrain proximity."

Joe Williams said:

Must be a Republican. ;)

From an update in The State today: http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14652445.htm

She said Leonhardt told her the plane’s engine seemed to cut off as the plane took off. She said Bauer was taking off from a dirt airstrip on private property that the two had flown from before.
“My husband has more than 10,000 flying hours and has worked with Andre for the past three years,” Leonhardt said. “He says that Andre is as good a pilot as has come across his path.”
Leonhardt also said her husband said both he and Bauer got out of the plane on their own.

flyingcheesehead said:
Must be a Republican. ;)

He must be a pilot, who is entitled as all of us are to due consideration of actual facts instead of second guessing by people who are glad to see him go down simply because of his politics. Not being from SC, I don't, or didn't, know didly about his politics, nor do I give a rat's ass about SC state politics. What I do care about is that second guessing based on half baked media reports before the man is out of the hospital serves none of us.

However, he is a Republican, so feel free to go celebrate. Hell, with a little luck if he goes down again, he'll toast in the cockpit, right?

Joe Williams said:
He must be a pilot, who is entitled as all of us are to due consideration of actual facts instead of second guessing by people who are glad to see him go down simply because of his politics. Not being from SC, I don't, or didn't, know didly about his politics, nor do I give a rat's ass about SC state politics. What I do care about is that second guessing based on half baked media reports before the man is out of the hospital serves none of us.

However, he is a Republican, so feel free to go celebrate. Hell, with a little luck if he goes down again, he'll toast in the cockpit, right?

I'm not glad the plane went down. I made a guess based on the report I read, which other reports are stating that there are statements of the engine cutting off during climb out, so we'll see what happens. Like I said, hopefully this doesn't keep him from getting back in the air, though I can understand if he's pretty jarred up by it.

Bauer gave an interview to CBS 7 in Greenville and said that at the end of the runway the engine was "simply not producing power" and that "it normally hits 45, then bam 60 and you're in the air. That didn't happen."

Also said that the power lines acted as a bungee of some kind that put the aircraft back on its belly after it had stalled.

Finally, he mentioned that after hitting, he heard his passenger say "We have to get out of the plane, it's gonna blow" and he noticed the door had popped open. Bauer believes that God had his hand on him, and sees this incident as well as his recent speeding controversy as God sending him a message. He feels he has neglected his spiritual family and told reporters that "God clearly has a purpose for me" and now he must "figure out what that purpose is."

I've never taken off in a Mooney, but in my C-172, it is my right leg and foot pushing on the rudder and the most likely to get broken in a takeoff mishap. Is it left rudder in a Mooney?

AuntPeggy said:
I've never taken off in a Mooney, but in my C-172, it is my right leg and foot pushing on the rudder and the most likely to get broken in a takeoff mishap. Is it left rudder in a Mooney?

Same for all I'm sure. Except Spitfires. BTW, welome aboard! :):)

AuntPeggy said:
Mooney's do indeed have a clockwise (viewed from the cockpit) prop, as do most American planes. I think that some French planes have props which rotate in the opposite direction.
One of the ways which accident investigators determine who is flying at the time of a crash is by examining which corpse exhibits fractures on the hands and at the feet. Morbid, I know.

Welcome to the POA boards.

wbarnhill said:
Bauer gave an interview to CBS 7 in Greenville and said that at the end of the runway the engine was "simply not producing power" and that "it normally hits 45, then bam 60 and you're in the air. That didn't happen."
How hot was it? I had the same feeling for a while when taking off in 80+ degree heat Saturday. I was only getting 500-700 feet/minute in climb. :rolleyes:

When you get to know your bird you can tell when things aren't right. I had to make a quick assesment of that go, no go decision. I went, and was fine. There was a irrigation rig(?) directly ahead in the field at the end of the runway that looked contentious.

Bruce briefs himself on every takeoff so he's spring loaded to react.

Last edited:
Back