SB569A - exact start of 12 year deadline?

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
This says

The AD requires that the crankshaft be replaced at the earliest of the following: the time of the next engine overhaul as specified by Lycoming, the next separation of the crankcase, or no later than 12 years from the time the crankshaft first entered service or was last overhauled.

What exactly does "entered service" mean? The first engine run, no?

However there was a later AD, within the past 6 months, which I can't find right now, which may contain a different wording.

"Entered service" would be the date of the first engine logbook entry when it was overhauled/rebuilt/manufactured new using that crankshaft.

The latest version of the AD is 2012-19-01. The only changes in the various versions that I've seen were to add affected crankshafts and engines, and to remove some methods of compliance. The 12 year deadline remains.

I phoned up Lyco and the man said that the 12 years starts from the date of the engine installation in the airframe, which should also be the first date in the engine logbook.

I phoned up Lyco and the man said that the 12 years starts from the date of the engine installation in the airframe, which should also be the first date in the engine logbook.

That is correct. Ask me how I know :mad3:

If you have not bought a crankshaft kit, you will drop around 10K for the kit ( if you can find one).

Frankly, The whole SB569A thing is huge slap in the face to owners.

That is correct. Ask me how I know :mad3:

If you have not bought a crankshaft kit, you will drop around 10K for the kit ( if you can find one).

Frankly, The whole SB569A thing is huge slap in the face to owners.

The AD preamble lists the cost at around $16,000.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_G...0eaac30f86257a7e00532d53/$FILE/2012-19-01.pdf

Can you imagine Ford or GM having a legally-mandated recall to replace some critical part and refusing to pay the $16,000 cost? Nobody would ever buy one of their vehicles again. Lycoming can get away with this because they're the only people making certified Lycoming engines. Nobody makes a legal (PMA'd) clone.

It promises to make some airplanes drop in value.

Dan

Can you imagine Ford or GM having a legally-mandated recall to replace some critical part and refusing to pay the $16,000 cost? Nobody would ever buy one of their vehicles again. Lycoming can get away with this because they're the only people making certified Lycoming engines. Nobody makes a legal (PMA'd) clone.

Lycoming offered to either:
- replace the crankshaft at their williamsport facility including back and forth shipping. I dont even think they charged for gaskets, only for ground up lifters or cams. This offer was time limited.
- sell you the crank kit for $2000 for you to put in on the shelf and use it during a field overhaul (the $2000 representing the 'betterment' of having a new full-size crank vs. one that is ground down by one notch during an overhaul) . This offer was time limited.
- give full credit for the core on a factory overhaul / reman / new engine. This offer still stands. If it runs while removed, the bad crank does not reduce the core credit.

By now, each of these bad cranks should be out of circulation. If someone is still stuck with a bad crank, he needs to have serious discussion with the IA or engineer who signed off his last 12 annuals.

Lycoming offered to either:
- replace the crankshaft at their williamsport facility including back and forth shipping. I dont even think they charged for gaskets, only for ground up lifters or cams. This offer was time limited.
- sell you the crank kit for $2000 for you to put in on the shelf and use it during a field overhaul (the $2000 representing the 'betterment' of having a new full-size crank vs. one that is ground down by one notch during an overhaul) . This offer was time limited.
- give full credit for the core on a factory overhaul / reman / new engine. This offer still stands. If it runs while removed, the bad crank does not reduce the core credit.

By now, each of these bad cranks should be out of circulation. If someone is still stuck with a bad crank, he needs to have serious discussion with the IA or engineer who signed off his last 12 annuals.

+1 Of all the travesties in aviation this isn't one of them.

+1 Of all the travesties in aviation this isn't one of them.

Well, I think I wouldn't have been happy with a SB affected engine. But of all the cases were manufacturers put out sub-par parts, the deals Lycoming offered to make good on the bad cranks were quite reasonable:

- The people who had Lycoming do the work were out the cost of R&R and the extended downtime.
- The people who bought the crank kit and had the swap done during a field overhaul within the 12 year timeframe had no loss (taking the 'betterment' aspect of having a new crank into account).
- The people who bought the crank kit but wouldn't have done an overhaul at the 12 years mark otherwise (because they are not bound to the calender year overhaul recommendation) had some real loss by having to do the overhaul earlier than planned under their chosen maintenance regime.
- People who went with a factory overhaul or reman (which is an economical option on most of the Lycoming turbo engines) had (or have) no financial disadvantage from SB569A and the associated AD.

Compare that with the non-VAR cranks or light-cases from Continental. Not much help from the factory except for full core credit if the engine runs while removed.

I was affected by that SB/AD. My engine had 1200 on it since new. The AD caused me to tear the engine down which I would not have done otherwise. It cost me about $20K to do all this. I have owned one airplane or another for the past forty years all have had ADs that needed compliance. This one was the worst. It was inexcusable, and Lycoming should have done more than offer a crank.

Thankfully I did mine in 2008.

I see two things happening:

One is that certain aviation personalities are telling people that the 12 years starts with the issue of the aircraft CofA. This is clearly wrong. The resulting error depends on how long the manufacturer took between screwing the engine into the airframe, and issuing the CofA. In some cases I know of it is a year or more, especially if the manufacturer had, ahem, an incentive to install the engine before Lyco's 1 year deadline (from engine ship date) expired, after which the engine would have to go back all the way to Lyco for an overhaul ;)

The other is that various people trying to sell IO540 engined aircraft are telling prospective buyers they have 1 more year to do this, which is definitely wrong. Some are aware, some are not.

As for the IA signing it off all those years, not everybody who has done an A&P course and the IA course can read :) I have just had an avionics installation done by an FAA 145 Repair Station which contained several safety-critical (life threatening) defects. Plenty of it out there...

I've just heard that when you return your old engine to Lyco for the exchange, they declare your crank bad and deduct its value from the core value, making the core almost worthless. Is this true? It would be a despicable practice. Does anyone have any recent figures for a reman engine from Lyco and the likely core value of say a 1500hr engine?

Last edited:
I was affected by that SB/AD. My engine had 1200 on it since new. The AD caused me to tear the engine down which I would not have done otherwise. It cost me about $20K to do all this. I have owned one airplane or another for the past forty years all have had ADs that needed compliance. This one was the worst. It was inexcusable, and Lycoming should have done more than offer a crank.

Walt, you are correct! . Lycoming had a responsibility to replace the defective parts include the R&R. The aircraft owner should not have had to pay 1 cent. Of course lycoming did this exact thing in the first round of defective cranks on the IO-540. Obliviously they learned that this was extremely costly and elected to screw the owners for the next few rounds of defective cranks.

Sorry, lycoming earns a failing grade for their response and handling of the entire crankshafts issue.

Sorry, lycoming earns a failing grade for their response and handling of the entire crankshafts issue.

So again, I ask, why do you continue to own a Lycoming-equipped plane?

Follow-up: would you have preferred they shut their doors and leave you with a bad crank and no means of replacement, or at least no means of assistance?

So again, I ask, why do you continue to own a Lycoming-equipped plane?

Follow-up: would you have preferred they shut their doors and leave you with a bad crank and no means of replacement, or at least no means of assistance?

Why would you ask such as question? Take it up with Piper as they choose to pick lycoming, your previous employer.

No, what I and over 5000 others affected by the AD would have liked was lycoming to step up to the plate and resolve the problem without a penny coming out of aircraft owners pockets. They did it it with the first bad run of cranks so what not with the rest of them?

When your vehicle has a recall are you responsibility for any costs associated with the repair? If someone installs cabinets in your home and they fall down, are you responsible for the cost to repair? Of course not. So why is the aircraft owner left to shoulder the expense?

Last edited:
Why would you ask such as question? Take it up with Piper as they choose to pick lycoming, your previous employer.

So you have some loyalty to Piper? Because I don't have loyalty to Piper, Cessna, Beech, Continental, or Lycoming. If you consider this to be such a bad thing, you could instead own a Turbo Arrow with a TSIO-360.

The point of my question is that you have a choice when it comes to what you buy - both for airplane and engine manufacturer. You want to make a complaint, but don't want to put your money where your mouth is. So you are therefore not sending a message to Lycoming, other than "I'm angry, but I'll just live with it." Not exactly what sends a strong message to a company.

I, however, did. I chose to sell my airplane that was Lycoming-powered, and only own a Continental-powered aircraft. So I put my money where my mouth was. This is basic capitalism/market forces. My dollars will not go towards keeping Lycoming's doors open, why are yours?

No, what I and over 5000 others affected by the AD would have liked was lycoming to step up to the plate and resolve the problem without a penny coming out of aircraft owners pockets. They did it it with the first bad run of cranks so what not with the rest of them?

When your vehicle has a recall are you responsibility for any costs associated with the repair? If someone installs cabinets in your home and they fall down, are you responsible for the cost to repair? Of course not. So why is the aircraft left to shoulder the expense?

My suspicion (although I don't know this for a fact) is that the current terms they have are more a requirement from the insurance than internally. To do what you asked, the company would have ended up going out of business - end of story. As it was, the crankshaft issue just about put Lycoming out of business, and had it losing millions of dollars for about a decade. This is not a sustainable business practice.

It sounds to me like you want them to do an ideal response (which I agree would have been best for customers, and what I would have wanted in your shoes), but also expect them to do it regardless of whether or not the doors would be shut, leaving you and those 5,000 other people without any form of assistance whatsoever. We're not talking about Ford or GM here who sell more engines in a day than Lycoming does in a year - we're talking about a company that is actually remarkably small and has rather pitiful profit margins, despite popular belief.

So you have some loyalty to Piper? Because I don't have loyalty to Piper, Cessna, Beech, Continental, or Lycoming. If you consider this to be such a bad thing, you could instead own a Turbo Arrow with a TSIO-360.

The point of my question is that you have a choice when it comes to what you buy - both for airplane and engine manufacturer. You want to make a complaint, but don't want to put your money where your mouth is. So you are therefore not sending a message to Lycoming, other than "I'm angry, but I'll just live with it." Not exactly what sends a strong message to a company.

I, however, did. I chose to sell my airplane that was Lycoming-powered, and only own a Continental-powered aircraft. So I put my money where my mouth was. This is basic capitalism/market forces. My dollars will not go towards keeping Lycoming's doors open, why are yours?

My suspicion (although I don't know this for a fact) is that the current terms they have are more a requirement from the insurance than internally. To do what you asked, the company would have ended up going out of business - end of story. As it was, the crankshaft issue just about put Lycoming out of business, and had it losing millions of dollars for about a decade. This is not a sustainable business practice.

It sounds to me like you want them to do an ideal response (which I agree would have been best for customers, and what I would have wanted in your shoes), but also expect them to do it regardless of whether or not the doors would be shut, leaving you and those 5,000 other people without any form of assistance whatsoever. We're not talking about Ford or GM here who sell more engines in a day than Lycoming does in a year - we're talking about a company that is actually remarkably small and has rather pitiful profit margins, despite popular belief.

Okay, Anything else you would like to add?

...By now, each of these bad cranks should be out of circulation. If someone is still stuck with a bad crank, he needs to have serious discussion with the IA or engineer who signed off his last 12 annuals.

Not sure what you mean by this but up to the 12th year the engine was airworthy and there would be no reason not to sign it off. Perhaps you are inferring that the owner was never informed of the situation, which is possible. I did an annual on a Piper Arrow a couple of years ago in which this was the case. The owner had purchased the aircraft five years prior and no one had ever mentioned anything about it to him. I had the unfortunate task of telling him that although his aircraft had passed the annual inspection with flying colors it would be virtually junk in six months.

This AD hit my brother right after he had bought a brand new Maule M7 in 2004. He was wise enough to purchase the kit and put it on the shelf. He sold the aircraft last year and having that kit was a major plus.

The AD itself stinks to high heaven. What it basically says is that you "might" have a defective crankshaft in your engine that could fail catastrophically at any time but it's perfectly okay to use it for 12 years. The breadth of the effectivity list (which grew and expanded at least three times) shows that Lycoming had absolutely no idea what the actual situation was. It was pure CYA.

Man, this AD is scary.I'm glad I found this thread. Counterweight O-360 Cardinals are affected and that was going to be my next airplane purchase. Knowing what I know about delayed maintenance with my Warrior ownership experience, where my AP clued me in to engine inspections that were due on the O-320 and clearly the previous owner skated on without any due diligence on the part of his AP, I simply do not trust sellers of these affected aircraft to have exercised enough due diligence on such a budget-breaking AD. The risk of lack of compliance or incorrect compliance status is way to expensive for the residual value of these aged airplanes.

Looks like I'll be avoiding the affected engines. Thankfully 177 and 177As don't have the counterweight engine, so some options are still available to me in my search of my "flying living room". :D

As an aircraft owner this is the kind of AD that disheartens the heck out of me. One CYA measure away from losing my shirt. I don't have to worry about recalls breaking my household budget on my ground vehicles or any other consumer product. What a stupid industry...

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by this but up to the 12th year the engine was airworthy and there would be no reason not to sign it off. Perhaps you are inferring that the owner was never informed of the situation, which is possible.

That's what I was trying to say. Most o those cranks are from engines assembled around 2000-2001 and put in service the latest in 2004. If an owner of an aircraft built (or overhauled) around that time didn't have this issue broached by his maintenance provider at some point in the interim, they did not receive good service. The 'great lycoming crank calamity' got quite some press over the years, the offer for the crank-kit was time limited. For someone to not to have known about this requires willfull ignorance.

This AD hit my brother right after he had bought a brand new Maule M7 in 2004. He was wise enough to purchase the kit and put it on the shelf. He sold the aircraft last year and having that kit was a major plus.
So the hit he took was $2000. The new owner has to overhaul the engine by 2016, at that time, swapping the crank for the new one will cost him nothing.

The AD itself stinks to high heaven. What it basically says is that you "might" have a defective crankshaft in your engine that could fail catastrophically at any time but it's perfectly okay to use it for 12 years. The breadth of the effectivity list (which grew and expanded at least three times) shows that Lycoming had absolutely no idea what the actual situation was. It was pure CYA.
I think it was ok as long as it was an SB. In a component subject to metal fatigue, I can understand making compliance subject to a certain number of cycles or hours. It makes absolutely no sense to tie this AD to calendar years, it's not like cranks regularly rust through.

Well, and then there are the non-VAR cranks and light cases on Continental. Same proplem, except that there is no help from the factory.

That's not quite what happened. More accurately was that the list of suspected cranks grew as more information came to light, and that's why the list grew.

Since the defect in the cranks was internal and there's not any form of non-destructive testing that will determine whether the defect is there, there's no way of determining that a particular crankshaft is good or bad from the lot. More below a bit...

I think it was ok as long as it was an SB. In a component subject to metal fatigue, I can understand making compliance subject to a certain number of cycles or hours. It makes absolutely no sense to tie this AD to calendar years, it's not like cranks regularly rust through.

They pretty much would have to make it an AD, since otherwise people wouldn't likely pull the cranks out of circulation on Part 91. The statements on this thread make it abundantly obvious that most people with the cranks think there's nothing wrong with them. So, I think that part was prudent. As far as the calendar years, I agree with you that the age of the crank doesn't matter much, but that was probably more of a legal/logistical thing since TBO for most Lycomings is 2000 hours/12 years, whichever comes first. Since both are part of the TBO, well, that's probably half the reason. The other half is to make sure that there's a bounded limit on how long these cranks are out in the field, so that they can have the issue 100% behind them.

Of course, despite what many would like to believe, we know that there was an issue with certain cranks. On some big turbo 6s, this manifested itself in the form of cranks snapping in various unpleasant manners that left some customers far less happy than those who now are looking at potentially paying the bills for replacement.

The part that comes into play with the lower power engines that haven't had any cranks snap yet (to my knowledge) less has to do with the first overhaul, and more to do with subsequent overhauls. The cranks are considered to be infinite life parts, so they can be reused at overhaul provided they're in good condition. This means it's possible to have cranks with 4,000... 6,000... 10,000 hours on them in an engine. With proper cranks this isn't a problem.

The defect in the cranks is basically one that impacts fatigue life and means it's not expected to be unlimited before. So, it does make sense to remove it from service before it snaps. If it is expected to make it one TBO round, that is a logical time to remove it.

Well, and then there are the non-VAR cranks and light cases on Continental. Same proplem, except that there is no help from the factory.

No no no, we were talking about Lycoming being the bad guy here. Can't change the subject. ;)

Of course, the other thing to note is that there's not a guarantee of a crank making it past TBO anyway for other reasons. So who knows - maybe your engine will have toasted the crank anyway.

Just some extra input to hopefully educate those interested.

They pretty much would have to make it an AD, since otherwise people wouldn't likely pull the cranks out of circulation on Part 91. The statements on this thread make it abundantly obvious that most people with the cranks think there's nothing wrong with them.

I believe a total of 23 IO540 cranks snapped, out of thousands and thousands sold. Given that engines spontaneously croak for any number of other reasons, the likelihood of a crank failure is one that some owners would have probably accepted.

So, I think that part was prudent. As far as the calendar years, I agree with you that the age of the crank doesn't matter much, but that was probably more of a legal/logistical thing since TBO for most Lycomings is 2000 hours/12 years, whichever comes first. Since both are part of the TBO, well, that's probably half the reason. The other half is to make sure that there's a bounded limit on how long these cranks are out in the field, so that they can have the issue 100% behind them.

Those cranks were a liability to the company. The people who put a value on the companies stock dont like liabilities they can't put their fingers on. By putting a fixed timeline on when the cranks have to be removed, the company could put a more or less firm end to the liability exposure.

On some big turbo 6s, this manifested itself in the form of cranks snapping in various unpleasant manners that left some customers far less happy than those who now are looking at potentially paying the bills for replacement.

Conti IO550s and TSIO520s had cranks snap off at the prop flange, mostly in aircraft known to be flown at high power settings (converted Malibus, Lancair etc.). It seems to me that once we hit 310hp, we start to get to the limits of what the flat-six hardware can do.

The part that comes into play with the lower power engines that haven't had any cranks snap yet (to my knowledge) less has to do with the first overhaul, and more to do with subsequent overhauls. The cranks are considered to be infinite life parts, so they can be reused at overhaul provided they're in good condition. This means it's possible to have cranks with 4,000... 6,000... 10,000 hours on them in an engine. With proper cranks this isn't a problem.

Right, and a 'crank has to be removed at next overhaul' would have taken care of that.

No no no, we were talking about Lycoming being the bad guy here. Can't change the subject. ;)

I am gathering information for an upcoming overhaul at this time. I really want to tear my grey hair out about the crummy options available. Do I want to AD riddled cylinders from chinese company A or failure prone cylinders from chinese company B or cylinders that shed their nickel coating from company C ?

Good points being made here in this discussion, one of them being that Lycoming figured, considering all of what they DIDN'T know, it would be prudent to ensure that ALL of the suspected cranks be sent to the landfill.

It's just unfortunate that the General Aviation community had to end up funding this SNAFU which is a direct result of corporate corner cutting and outsourcing in a frivolous attempt to dodge liability and reap more profit.

You can't have a brand name without earning it and once you do you have to protect it.

I believe a total of 23 IO540 cranks snapped, out of thousands and thousands sold. Given that engines spontaneously croak for any number of other reasons, the likelihood of a crank failure is one that some owners would have probably accepted.

The court cases from those who had snapped cranks indicate you're wrong about that. And even still, let's say that you as a customer accepted that risk, signed an affidavit as such, and then decided to sell the plane. Now what? You sell the plane to someone who doesn't sign the affidavit, busts a crank, and then sues Lycoming.

I'd also argue that you would see more cranks fail with continued use. Part of the reason it was a relatively low percentage was because the cranks weren't in service that long.

We, the customers, demanded this level of caution in the form of repeated lawsuits, again and again.

Those cranks were a liability to the company. The people who put a value on the companies stock dont like liabilities they can't put their fingers on. By putting a fixed timeline on when the cranks have to be removed, the company could put a more or less firm end to the liability exposure.

You've also got the insurance company who paid a very large sum out as a result of this claim, and was basing their premiums on trying to recoup that money and also being wary of the future. Since Lycoming is part of Textron (and a small part at that), its individual contribution to Textron stock is relatively small.

Conti IO550s and TSIO520s had cranks snap off at the prop flange, mostly in aircraft known to be flown at high power settings (converted Malibus, Lancair etc.). It seems to me that once we hit 310hp, we start to get to the limits of what the flat-six hardware can do.

From a crankshaft perspective, history disagrees here. The TIO-540-J2BD (350 HP Navajo Chieftain engine) and GTSIO-520 (375 HP Cessna 421 engine) both didn't have crank issues regularly. The J2BDs are generally considered to be some of the best engines Lycoming ever built.

What you did have were certain cranks that couldn't handle it well, both from Lycoming and Continental.

Right, and a 'crank has to be removed at next overhaul' would have taken care of that.

Correct. And really this seems to be a better compromise between "remove every one of these cranks now" and "let them run indefinitely."

I am gathering information for an upcoming overhaul at this time. I really want to tear my grey hair out about the crummy options available. Do I want to AD riddled cylinders from chinese company A or failure prone cylinders from chinese company B or cylinders that shed their nickel coating from company C ?

I don't remember what kind of plane you have, but I do understand where you're coming from since we just did the engines on the 310. It wasn't an easy decision, mainly because of the various problems out there. While I'm confident in the work Charlie did, I'm less confident in some components, especially the cylinders. Only time will tell if we made a good choice or not.

Good points being made here in this discussion, one of them being that Lycoming figured, considering all of what they DIDN'T know, it would be prudent to ensure that ALL of the suspected cranks be sent to the landfill.

Just to be clear, this is something that you wouldn't see Ford, GM, or even Honda know any better.

It's just unfortunate that the General Aviation community had to end up funding this SNAFU which is a direct result of corporate corner cutting and outsourcing in a frivolous attempt to dodge liability and reap more profit.

I'll leave the outsourcing discussion out of this other than to say that I agree that outsourcing creates many problems, as has been shown historically.

To say the GA community had to fund this isn't entirely accurate. Lycoming's insurance had to fund a great deal of it. The reality is that the customers who have to replace their cranks at overhaul may have had to replace them anyway for other reasons, as well. Most wouldn't have, agreed, but some would. On the whole, it's easy to say that it's a stupid thing when you have to pay something you didn't want to pay. Suddenly it makes more sense when you see lawsuits over things like a crank snapping in a Navajo, the pilot handles the engine failure wrong and blows up the other engine due to detonation so bad that all 6 pistons looked like warm butter when retrieved from the bottom of the ocean, and ultimately kills all 10 people on board.

You can't have a brand name without earning it and once you do you have to protect it.

Agreed fully. Unfortunately we have been suffering issues with this.

Even if you sign the affidavit, your passengers did not, and there are also issues where you can't waive the rights of others including your family members. Waivers of liability are only effective in a very small set of circumstances, Equine activities and SCUBA diving are about the only two I can think of outside racing as a participant (spectators still successfully sue) and IIRC there have been a couple SCUBA instances where the shop used the wrong oil in the compressor and killed a couple people with carbon monoxide where they didn't even test the waiver. Equine activities are protected in many states under 'known dangerous activities' laws.

I'm sure a lot of people will have issue with the following:

Pilots/owners are cheep and CRAZY. Here we have a known issue on almost new aircraft worth several hundred thousand dollars, so the $2,000 shouldn't be an issue. If the crank fails you are going down, period, surely everyone understands the risk. If I would have faced that AD I would have grounded my aircraft day one. I would have had the motor torn down and the crank replaced right then, end of discussion. What the hell are people thinking letting this issue continue for years, selling the aircraft to another unsuspecting soul, trying to get the most life out of the engine, etc.

My bird will NEVER fly with any known issue so dangerous to safety as this. If I can't afford to fix it then its time look at a new Suburban.

Last edited:
Just to get the facts straight...

Suppose you have one of the affected motors, and you need a crank..

Is the replacement Lycoming crank 2000 bucks or 16,000 bucks?

Is there an aftermarket source ?

In my talks with the Cessna dealers the $2,000 crank kits are no longer offered that option was time limited. So now it is a $16K crank kit, and apparently also hard to find.

The days of the 2000 dollar crank are long gone! I believe your not to far off if you had to buy the crank only. . 16K sounds about right. I'll leave it up to the engine folks to comment but wonder if you could find a yellow tagged crank and use that?

There are still some of the lycoming kits available from people who bought them and never installed them for whatever reason. I found a kit for $9700 which included the crank, seals,,,. Add in R&R, rebuild and your hovering around 15-17K if all goes well.
I suppose at some point depending on engine hours and other factors a reman might make better sense. If that's the case, add another 5-9K depending on the reman. These numbers are all variable of course.

Last edited:
With prices like that, it seems the market is ripe for a "offshore, barely legal" company to start spitting out cranks to fill the void... After all, there seems to be multiple, onshore, cylinder manufacurers who get FAA approval with dismal product results..:dunno:

I thought the reason for the 12 year time limit was that since the official engine life is 12 years, and since Lyco would install a new crank free of charge if you used them to OH your engine at the 12 year point, this policy protected them from a class action, since you would get the crank sorted at no cost to you, and they are under no legal obligation to support independent overhaul shops.

Also the $2k crank kit (which finished Feb 2009) was an exchange deal and I was told at the time I could not just buy it and put it on the shelf because they wanted my old one back within 6 months.

It has also been claimed by a prominent aviation person that after the original AD which covered the cranks which snapped due to defective heat treatment, none of the "12 year limited" cranks had ever snapped. This man claimed to have access to the data. This may actually be true because there is no metallurgical factor which could eat away a crank within 12 years while it is sitting inside the engine. It's true that some or all of these cranks contained vanadium which Lyco claimed (falsely I believe) that they didn't authorise the crank mfg to use, but I do not recall anybody producing any evidence that this actually made the crank weaker.

The early bad cranks (with the defective heat treatment) could be detected by taking the prop off and taking a sample from the prop flange. After that, no test was possible.

I always thought the original Lyco SB (which did not affect me) was a CYA sham because they recalled engines "with aftermarket turbos" even if the turbos didn't increase the MP (turbo normalisation only). I phoned up Lyco and I put it to the man there that there is no difference between somebody with such a turbo, and me flying straight and level at full bore at 500ft after takeoff, so why should the former be affected and not the latter. He agreed, and could offer no explanation. It was obvious that Lyco had little idea of which serials were affected.

Many years ago Lyco used cranks from Krupp in Germany and had a zero failure rate over many years. I don't know why they dropped Krupp. Might have been price, or it might have been due to some programme on TV revealing (what everybody in Europe knew) which Krupp's involvement in the WW2 gassing project.

As regards the AD being well publicised, it was but most pilots do not have an "online life". They don't read forums, don't get the US AOPA mailings, have no idea what an "AD" is, and rely totally on their maintenance outfit to do the right thing.

$16k for a crank is outrageous and one could make a PMA part for far less. The chinese certainly could. The problem, I think, is that this is not the biggest problem which is that if you mandate the engine to be opened up at 12 years (which is the effect of mandating a crank swap) then all sorts of stuff is likely to be discovered, and the engine can't be legally closed up and operated until the other stuff has been fixed. The engine has to be within specified tolerances before it can be used again. So, even if the new crank cost $1.6k, you will still be looking at $1000s just to go through the open/close exercise and that is if everything turns out to be within new or OH tolerances...

When I first heard of the crankshaft saga, it was just before I took delivery of my new plane, and I enquired around some engine shops re prices of cranks too old to be affected, with a view to buying one and putting it on the shelf. I was quoted about $14k for some cranks from the 1960s... obviously the shops knew about the impending crisis and decided to cash in.

Last edited:
Also the $2k crank kit (which finished Feb 2009) was an exchange deal and I was told at the time I could not just buy it and put it on the shelf because they wanted my old one back within 6 months.

Apparently it depends on who you talked to at Lycoming because my brother bought the kit, put it on the shelf and sold it with the airplane last year. From what I remember the kit was slated for that specific engine and it's not permissible to sell it to someone else although I have no idea how Lycoming would stop such a transaction from occurring if someone decided to do that.

I always thought the original Lyco SB (which did not affect me) was a CYA sham because they recalled engines "with aftermarket turbos" even if the turbos didn't increase the MP (turbo normalisation only). I phoned up Lyco and I put it to the man there that there is no difference between somebody with such a turbo, and me flying straight and level at full bore at 500ft after takeoff, so why should the former be affected and not the latter. He agreed, and could offer no explanation. It was obvious that Lyco had little idea of which serials were affected.

Remember when you call Lyco, you're talking to their service reps (who are A&Ps), not engineers.

Turbo normalized engines run higher induction temperatures, are typically run at a higher internal power setting, and end up keeping more heat in the engine. This ends up typically meaning higher internal combustion pressures, and also Lycoming never tested most of those aftermarket turbo setups. You could call it CYA, but it was more an engineering deduction that these engines they knew were worked harder to some degree, what degree was unknown. Also people could run them at 30" all the time (like Tornado Alley recommends to buyers of their turbo systems), which means much harder use than you typically give your engine.

Many years ago Lyco used cranks from Krupp in Germany and had a zero failure rate over many years. I don't know why they dropped Krupp. Might have been price, or it might have been due to some programme on TV revealing (what everybody in Europe knew) which Krupp's involvement in the WW2 gassing project.

Seeing as about 99% of pilots would have no idea where the cranks came from, it wouldn't be PR. Most likely is either price or Krupp wanted to get out of aviation. The latter happens often and is responsible for a number of vendor changes. Something about people get sick of being sued.

With prices like that, it seems the market is ripe for a "offshore, barely legal" company to start spitting out cranks to fill the void... After all, there seems to be multiple, onshore, cylinder manufacurers who get FAA approval with dismal product results..:dunno:

The FAA tightened up restrictions on testing required for certifying PMA cylinders because of all the issues PMA cylinders were having. After the crankshaft issues, you can bet that a PMA crank would have extensive testing to go through.

The FAA tightened up restrictions on testing required for certifying PMA cylinders because of all the issues PMA cylinders were having. After the crankshaft issues, you can bet that a PMA crank would have extensive testing to go through.

ECI has PMA'd crankshafts. I only see 4-cylinder Lycomings on the list. They retail at $5700 to $6200. Dont know if they ever made a 6-cylinder crank.

Dont know anything about the quality, chances are they source the cranks from the same brasilian backyard operation as Lycoming.

ECI has PMA'd crankshafts. I only see 4-cylinder Lycomings on the list. They retail at $5700 to $6200. Dont know if they ever made a 6-cylinder crank.

Dont know anything about the quality, chances are they source the cranks from the same brasilian backyard operation as Lycoming.

I thought ECi had PMA'd cranks out. No idea on quality or where they are made.

Sheesh, you could field overhaul an O-360 for about that much these days ,even with the crank replacement counted in...Less if you go with the old accessories.

On the Continentals with the Airmelt crankshaft (another BS AD, but there you go), Continental will give full core credit if you exchange a running engine for a new or factory reman engine.

So it is not what you'd call cheap, but it is a rational choice.

On the Continentals with the Airmelt crankshaft (another BS AD, but there you go), Continental will give full core credit if you exchange a running engine for a new or factory reman engine.

So it is not what you'd call cheap, but it is a rational choice.

To me, that is FAR from rational...........................

Both programs look more like extortion then a genuine effort to help the customer to become whole again......

Look at the terms... You give US a running engine in exchange and we SELL you something to put back in your plane...

There was a CLEAR defect in their crankshafts and their option is " either you play our game or *uck off......... That is some way to run a company..:nonod::no::mad2:...IMHO...

You want an end to these ADs? Petition for tort reform...

Back