Saying the word "bomb" on a flight

View attachment 123111
The diaphram was supposed to be held between two thin flat pieces of metal and trapped like a gasket by the top and bottom of the pump housing. But it was torn. Using a hot needle I made seven holes in a latex condom, fitting the holes over the center shaft, and the studs that held the halves together. Voila!

If only I had a gasoline-safe condom it might still be running.
I'd love to see the logbook entry :)

Entering a federal property, not an airport, I was standing behind an off-duty cop who removed his case with it's metal badge, several pens, a big key ring, and a holstered Glock 42.

The rent-a-cop wands him, and satisfied that he poses no threat allows him to pick up his case with it's metal badge, several pens, a big key ring, and holstered Glock 42.

I fear scientists may have the theory of evolution backwards.
Oh I can beat that.

Leaving Bosnia with a Special Forces company after a mission to chase a war criminal. 80 guys loaded for bear. Every man with a rifle, pistol, full load of ammo, assorted grenades, breaching charges, etc, plus some sniper rifles, machine guns, grenade launchers, etc.

The French police running the air terminal make us take off all our gear, run it through the X ray machine, walk through the metal detector, then pick up our stuff. Rules are rules.

I saw this news article today:
"Man Apologizes to Passengers as He’s Cuffed By Police After Plane Diverts Because Someone Said ‘Bomb’ During an Argument"

I recall when one of my programmers and I flew to Dallas in about 2003 to meet with a manufacturing client. My coder was explaining the problems he was having with creating an accurate Bill of Materials from their data. In manufacturing lingo, the acronym for Bill of Materials is BoM. As soon as he said the acronym I saw a nearby passenger suddenly turn his head and stare. I quickly interrupted my programmer by loudly saying "when you say BOM do you mean the Bill of Materials for the automation program you're creating for XYZ Manufacturing?" He looked at me like I was crazy, but the concerned passenger seemed satisfied. In the post-911 era, two middle-aged white guys weren't all that suspicious. The rest of the flight was thankfully uneventful.
I had a similar situation on a flight with my boss. We had just been awarded new business. He asked me if I’d received the BOMs yet so I could start ordering the material. Then stated we needed to verify the BOMs were complete. I finally got him to shut up and explained to two ladies staring at us why my boss was saying BOM in his heavy Pakistani accent over and over.

These guys probably can't fly anywhere:

It was nearly 40 years ago when traveling while doing a DOD/USO show that I was asked in broken English by a large Turkish security official, "what is bazz guitar?"

I saw this news article today:
"Man Apologizes to Passengers as He’s Cuffed By Police After Plane Diverts Because Someone Said ‘Bomb’ During an Argument"

I recall when one of my programmers and I flew to Dallas in about 2003 to meet with a manufacturing client. My coder was explaining the problems he was having with creating an accurate Bill of Materials from their data. In manufacturing lingo, the acronym for Bill of Materials is BoM. As soon as he said the acronym I saw a nearby passenger suddenly turn his head and stare. I quickly interrupted my programmer by loudly saying "when you say BOM do you mean the Bill of Materials for the automation program you're creating for XYZ Manufacturing?" He looked at me like I was crazy, but the concerned passenger seemed satisfied. In the post-911 era, two middle-aged white guys weren't all that suspicious. The rest of the flight was thankfully uneventful.
An Indian friend of mine tells a similar airport story. Sitting at a table in the bar, talking to a client (or the office) on his cell while working the problem on his laptop. "...next I explode the BOM and then..." Being that this wasn't long after 9/11 and he's a brown skinned individual with a foreign accent, someone with a badge ultimately came over and talked with him about it...

This wasn't some inadvertent use of the word bomb like telling someone their outfit was "da bomb".

But according to the complaint against him, Sims stated two times amid the argument that his ex had a bomb on the plane.
When the FBI questioned him, the complaint said, Sims said he was “only human and could have used the word bomb on accident one time, but definitely not twice.”
But the FBI report says Sims made other alarming comments on the flight, including “I’m going to fire up a vape,” that he hoped the plane wouldn’t “go down” and that they’d be “gone with the wind.”
The report also says that during boarding, Sims was heard talking to his ex about needing to use the emergency doors and even questioned the flight crew about the emergency life raft.

Back