Say aircraft type

Archimago

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Archimago
I have a Grumman Traveler which is a Grumman AA5. When giving my aircraft type to ATC would I say "Grumman Alpha Alpha Fife" or would I just say "Grumman AA5"... or would it be G AA5 ... or Golf Alpha Alpha Fife?
Thanks

Grumman AA5 should do, I've never heard the phonetic alphabet used in that situation...

Grumman AA5 should do, I've never heard the phonetic alphabet used in that situation...

That. Throwing in “slant” and your suffix is not a bad idea. You’ll get asked sometimes if you don’t so just doing is good form.

Yep; "AA5."

ICAO Grumman AA-5 Type Designator.jpg

My Zodiac LSA ICAO Type Identifier is "CH60" and about half the time ATC thinks I'm in a helicopter when I respond with "Charlie Hotel Six Zero." They apparently don't bother to actually look it up and I have to explain it.

ICAO AMD CH-601 Zodiac Type Designator.jpg

The CH-60 Sikorsky is a Navy version of the Army Blackhawk, and the ICAO Type Identifier is H60, NOT CH60. o_O
CH-60 Fleet Combat Support Helicopter.jpg

Last edited:
I think I would use Grumman Traveler. I use Beech Sport instead of Beech B-19 when reporting in to ATC.

When I say M20P (ICAO), they ask why I'm going so slow. When I say M20C, they ask for the ICAO....

Back