"Say Again Please" arrived!

snoboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
snoboy
Bob Gardner's book SAY AGAIN PLEASE just arrived so I'm eager to dive in. My radio speak pretty much sucks so I'm looking forward to some help.

Mike

Trivia question for the OP (actually John too) but why do we say "say again" instead of "repeat?"

Nope. It's a carryover from military radio communication, where "repeat" has a unique and special meaning - please fire another artillery barrage. It's not supposed to be used in any other context.

Nope. It's a carryover from military radio communication, where "repeat" has a unique and special meaning - please fire another artillery barrage. It's not supposed to be used in any other context.

That makes sense. I could see where that could get messy.

Comes from my Coast Guard and ham radio days...just never got out of the habit. Anyway, would you buy a book titled "Repeat"? :wink2:

Bob

I always liked "Fire for Effect" and watch things turn to junk.

Cheers

Excellent book. I think I am due for a re-read on that one and on "Stick and Rudder". Those are what got me through my breaks when jury duty turned into a 17-day trial back in 2009.

I always liked "Fire for Effect" and watch things turn to junk.

Cheers

Heh heh heh. "Team Bravo, this is fire control. Please say your coordinates."

"Yeah, right!" (you never send them your own position, lest they get the two messed up.)

Excellent book. I think I am due for a re-read on that one and on "Stick and Rudder". Those are what got me through my breaks when jury duty turned into a 17-day trial back in 2009.

17 day trial.... Oh Please do tell...:yes:

17 day trial.... Oh Please do tell...:yes:

Actually, not that exciting, but I at least found it interesting. It was a civil trial wherein a gentleman who builds houses one or two at a time was suing Cal Trans for trashing one of his properties while they used it for access to shore up a highway that wanted to wash down the mountainside during a particularly wet Winter.

In the end, we found for the plaintiff, but I don't think we awarded him nearly enough to be made whole.

Heh heh heh. "Team Bravo, this is fire control. Please say your coordinates."

"Yeah, right!" (you never send them your own position, lest they get the two messed up.)

Did you ever try giving them back their own coordinates to see what would happen? :wink2:

Great idea! I have jury duty Feb 11th so I know what I will be reading... :mad2:

Back