Saw a Multi Make a gear up landing today.

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
Finished my run up and called ground. He responds that everything is on hold for traffic on final. I look to my left and see emergency services, then, look to my right and see a Multi with no gear down. Got a front row view. Everyone was ok and we departed 13min after on parallel runway.
It made me cringe when I saw the prop tip strike and bend.

Was today at KHWO (North Perry) My pax took a photo after they came to a stop.

2eRqKMjmuNec.jpg

Here's my pax photo

It already made the news!
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/04/20/plane-makes-emergency-landing-at-broward-airport/

Last edited:
Saw a U21 (or U23, can't remember) do a nose wheel up once. They foamed a patch of runway, shut down one engine before starting final and then shut the other one down on final. Saved the engines and props. It was flying again in a few days. Two pilots in the cockpit and an 8000 foot runway.

Looks like a Geronimo or an Aztec.

I've twice seen planes land with only some of the gear down. Saw a P-51 land at Oshkosh with only one main. She did a good job on that one. Saw a Robin that had the nose gear missing (I never did hear how that happened) land at HEF. Same thing, nice job keeping the nose up until it slowed down. Lots of sparks for a short period of braking after it touched.

Looks like a Geronimo or an Aztec.

It's a naturally aspirated Aztec.

Had one land gear up at my home airport a couple of years ago after a complete hydraulic system failure. Impressed at how little damage there was to the airframe - some wrinkles to the bottom of the engine cowls, main belly pan and ground about 1/2" off the bottom of the tail tie down fitting. But the plane was still a write off because repairing the engines and props was more than the entire airplane was worth in today's market.

Saw a U21 (or U23, can't remember) do a nose wheel up once. They foamed a patch of runway, shut down one engine before starting final and then shut the other one down on final. Saved the engines and props. It was flying again in a few days. Two pilots in the cockpit and an 8000 foot runway.

You can only save the props if they are 2-blade, and you have to use the starter to kick them horizontal after shutting down the engine, all while flying the airplane.

The insurance companies don't want us to do that any more. They much prefer to repair/replace engines and props than repair people. It's a risk management issue I suppose.

It's a naturally aspirated Aztec.

Had one land gear up at my home airport a couple of years ago after a complete hydraulic system failure. Impressed at how little damage there was to the airframe - some wrinkles to the bottom of the engine cowls, main belly pan and ground about 1/2" off the bottom of the tail tie down fitting. But the plane was still a write off because repairing the engines and props was more than the entire airplane was worth in today's market.

You can only save the props if they are 2-blade, and you have to use the starter to kick them horizontal after shutting down the engine, all while flying the airplane.

The insurance companies don't want us to do that any more. They much prefer to repair/replace engines and props than repair people. It's a risk management issue I suppose.

I can see the logic behind that. A lot can go wrong. I'm sure they know what the odds are. This one had a couple Navy pilots in the cockpit out getting time for flight pay.

Something with U-21s and nose gears.:D Didn't save the props but probably saved the engines / drivetrain.

A C-340 landed at KFCM with a left main unlocked last week. Sad sight. But everyone exited unharmed.

That ain't no Aztec, it's an Apache with the Geronimo conversion.
Specifically it's a 1956 Apache, the Aztec didn't come out until 1958 and it had the swept tail, this has the square Geronimo tail and the short pointy nose.

http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/N2100P.html

You are correct. I saw the third window in profile and didn't look any closer. The pecker nose should have given it away if I had been paying attention.

Such a shame ,like the Geronimo ,hope it gets repaired.

Something with U-21s and nose gears.:D Didn't save the props but probably saved the engines / drivetrain.

That was quick thinking if it was a surprise that the nose wheel wasn't locked. Even if it was known, good job. The one I saw was a Navy Apache/Aztec, not a U21 or U23 which I thought I remembered. Looked it up, U11.

Back