...saw a crash today...

kenjr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KenJr
...hadn't flown in a month and had a nice day today so decided to take a short trip from KGTU over to KAQO (Georgetown, TX to Llano, TX) to grab some BBQ.

The skies were blue but damn it was bumpy. 9kt crosswind directly across in Llano was going to put me to the test...

I enter the pattern at Llano and hear a Cessna taking the runway for a east bound departure. As I turn (and I went a little long on downwind because it's a right hand pattern there and I always overshoot them when I fly a tight pattern...and figured I definitely would with the rust caked on...) final I see the Cessna lift off about 1/2 way down the runway heading to the south.

He doesn't get more than 200 feet off the ground and I see him start to descend and crash into the grass about a half mile south of the runway. I land behind him and see cars and golf carts hauling out the site.

I park my plane and grab a ride with one of the airport guys on a tug out to the end of the runway. Driving out we see a van that I saw speeding out that way when I was taxiing in leave the site and a golf cart was coming back directly towards us. The guys stop and tell us that everyone made it out OK - 3 people on board. The engine sputtered once and quit shortly after takeoff and the pilot put it down where he could - luckily right between 2 trees. The plane was totaled and the only injuries were from the cactus plants the plane crashed into that the passengers had to get through to get out of the plane.

When we got back to the FBO there were some folks sitting outside and one of the ladies (who wasn't a pilot) was saying that the plane sounded 'wrong' as it was taxiing out. Kindof had a 'missing' sort of sound...she commented that she told someone at that time that there was no way she'd get on that plane. No idea what happened on the runup.

I talked to the pilot for a little bit - didn't ask him a bunch of questions...just shook his hand and commended him for getting it down safely with no injuries. He said it hit nose first and the windshield just blew out. Everyone's sunglasses went straight out the front window. The pictures I saw the plane was still upright but it was pretty obvious it hit nose first.

I left and went to lunch and when I came back about 45 minutes later the state trooper was there and the were all waiting for a ride. The plane was a rental from Genesis Flight Academy out of Georgetown (where I'm based as well). So, a couple guys from Genesis had driven out to see the plane, do whatever they had to do and then drive them back to Georgetown.

Very surreal to see that happen with my own two eyes...especially when you are on final. Had to summon everything to keep my cool and get the plane down...my first landing in 27 days in a 90 degree 9 knot crosswind to boot.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of investigation to see what happened to the engine. Just glad that everyone was alright.

Ironically, I had my GoPro with me...was recording the entire flight and the thing overheated or something and shut itself off literally 30 seconds before it would have recorded the entire thing. Couldn't believe it.

Anyone else have that problem with a dash mounted GoPro? Mine seems to just shut itself off from time to time...assuming heat.

EDIT: added a picture. Forgot that I caught a glimpse of it on my overhead camera on my climb out. There's not much to see but it's as good as it gets with what I have.

Attachments

• crash.JPG
    crash.JPG
    286.4 KB · Views: 212
  • crash1.JPG
    crash1.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Crazy! I received my PPL thru Genesis and actually am renting one of their 172's this weekend for that same trip to Llano for a BBQ run this weekend. I'm glad to hear that everyone is ok.

Ironically, I had my GoPro with me...was recording the entire flight and the thing overheated or something and shut itself off literally 30 seconds before it would have recorded the entire thing. Couldn't believe it.

Anyone else have that problem with a dash mounted GoPro? Mine seems to just shut itself off from time to time...assuming heat.

There's an easy fix for the overheating issue...

Get the vented GoPro case ( with large openings on the sides and on the back cover )....

that's the one I have - it's wide open. I needed that one to get to the audio port which I use to feed from the intercom system. You can see the GoPro on the dash in the picture I added in the OP.

I have a nFlightcam mounted high but I run audio through the GoPro, so when it quits you don't hear anything anymore...

Last edited:
Crazy that you saw it and glad e'rbody is OK.

I had the same issue with my first gopro, it was so bad I had to send it back to be replaced.

Last edited:
Crazy that you saw it and glad e'rbody is OK.

In had the same issue with my first gopro, it was so bad I had to send it back to be replaced.

My new Go Pro 9 Hero 3+, Black edition I bought 4 weeks ago fails in 21 minutes.. they send me a new one and so far it works perfectly... and the battery seems to last ALOT longer too...:)

Attachments

• Go Pro Mount 005.jpg
    Go Pro Mount 005.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 63
  • Go Pro Mount 006.jpg
    Go Pro Mount 006.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 51
  • Go Pro Mount 007.jpg
    Go Pro Mount 007.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
R.I.P. 9373F, you will be missed.
I was flying her for the past year on the road to my PPL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When we got back to the FBO there were some folks sitting outside and one of the ladies (who wasn't a pilot) was saying that the plane sounded 'wrong' as it was taxiing out. Kindof had a 'missing' sort of sound...she commented that she told someone at that time that there was no way she'd get on that plane. No idea what happened on the runup.

I know it is easy to Monday morning quarterback, but it sounds like a bad case of gethomeitus. If a non-pilot could tell the engine didn't sound right, makes you wonder what the pilot was thinking. I'm just glad they all survived safe and sound. It will be interesting to learn more about this.

cool - thanks guys. I just realized I hadn't updated the firmware...I was on 1.09 and it's up 3.1 something...so I'll try that and see if that helps before sending it back. For those that returned...did you just call their support and tell them what was going on and they RMA'd it?

Last edited:
Glad they are all fine. Hope they weren't worrying about going over on the rental time.

cool - thanks guys. I just realized I hadn't updated the firmware...I was on 1.09 and it's up 3.1 something...so I'll try that and see if that helps before sending it back. For those that returned...did you just call their support and tell them what was going on and they RMA'd it?

I called Go Pro and they immediately understood my problem and gave me a RMA # with a prepaid Fed Ex label... I got brand new camera in less then 4 business days... They know they have a problem..:yes:

well you def have to do the firmware and in the order they specify on their website (if you can't find it I'll check for it later). I documented what I did when I reported the issue to them because you KNOW that's the first thing they're going to tell you to do. but yeah, after that they RMA'd it, and like FBH stated, they are well aware of this issue that too many people have.

A friend mounted a Go-pro he just received to the top of his wing. He then flew for about 2 hrs and the camera never missed a beat.

It could be in the direct sun under the canopy this is causing a problem. But if you use it in the open air it works fin.

Not sure if that is the problem but he really likes his unit. I believe its the black version.

Tony

The odds of witnessing a GA accident like that have to be astronomical.

Glad everyone was o.k.

Back