Saw a Cold Start Engine Fire For The First Time

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
TLDR Version: No one was hurt, not major and the pilot eventually flew it afterwards. It was a eye opener.

On Friday I was planning to fly down to our mechanic's and then give a friend a ride back after he dropped off his plane for annual. But everytime the TAF updated the high crosswind and gusts kept moving up. So I told my friend I'd drive down and pick him up instead. Plus my gut was telling me he would be running late (gut was right).

Well, he shows up about 30 minutes late but no big deal I have the day off. He was pretty tired from working a late shift and forgot to plug it in the night before. Since it was a cold start I figured I'd better wait to drive out until I see he gets it started.

About 8 or 9 sets of prime and crank and I see a fire start coming out around the exhaust pipe. And just a bit of smoke coming out of the air filter. I start waving my hands for him to stop. He does and I yell "Fire". I go to run into his hangar to get the fire extinguisher but he locked it thinking he was flying out. He quick hops out, unlocks the door and I grab the extinguisher. I am pretty sure he shut off the fuel but not positive so I mention it as we run back. The fire is no longer visible so he cracks open the top cowling (no tools needed - nice!). No fire. The air cleaner looks good so no major fire in the carb.

So he looked it over really good, buttoned things up. Waited a bit and of course it starts on the first try after a starter click for dramatic effect. He idled while I awaited another adventure but he was good, circled the pattern once and departed

Our mechanic gave him some grief. Later he walked up to the air filter and tried to poke his finger through but the fire wasn't bad enough to crispy it. Then he asked why he didn't preheat...worked late, overslept. Then he asked how he pre-heats...he puts a small electric heater in the top cowling cover. The mechanic and I both cringed. The mechanic then tells him of the plane fire he had to work through after someone used the old light bulb trick and the 100LL got to know electricity a bit too well. He looked at the mechanic like "well thats dumb, I use electric heater not a light bulb" :)

Several things were interesting to ponder afterwards:

1. The pilot had no clue his plane was on fire. I am sure he would have eventually seen it but for the first 10 seconds it was bright orange flames down below out of sight and very little smoke.

2. I usually push in 4 shots to start the 182 and he was only using a single shot of primer for the 150. I thought he was going to tell me he gave it 10 shots or something crazy. Nope. Just 8 or 9 sets of a single shot followed by cranking it. I didn't think it was possible to get a fire from single shots. Maybe he was adding way too much throttle or something?

3. He didn't grab an extinguisher as he hopped out. I can see that happening if your instinct is to get out.

4. The extinguishers in the hangars are chemical. We recently updated to a Halon (or whatever is the latest). So I would think if you a fire you'd probably be wishing you shot halon in there first and not the dry chemical if the fire turned out to not be a big deal.

5. Its a creepy sound. That little whoosh as it started on fire right after he finished cranking. Like lighting a gas grill.

6. On his last 2 cranks the starter clicked first each time so his battery was getting weak. Which also meant there was no way for him to start the engine to consume the fire. Our POH spends several words on keeping it running or cranking if there is a fire. This guy would not have been able to do that with the battery so low.

7. Dang it would be nice to have a plane where you can easily look into the engine with a hinged cover vs a crap load of fasteners and then remove a cowling.

I'm curious after the annual is done if there is actually any damage? Hopefully for my friend its as simple as excess fuel caught on fire while dripping down the exhaust pipe or something.

A single primer shot when its cold won't usually do it for any plane I've owned. I'm similar to you, 3 shots when cold, then crank.

The POH procedure I recall for induction or exhaust fires for the Pipers I've owned is to pull the mixture to idle cutoff and keep cranking.

A single primer shot when its cold won't usually do it for any plane I've owned. I'm similar to you, 3 shots when cold, then crank.

The POH procedure I recall for induction or exhaust fires for the Pipers I've owned is to pull the mixture to idle cutoff and keep cranking.
Yes our requires the same. I think my friend was about 3 blades from no more battery to crank it over. Like a perfect storm. Engine fire right as you've exhausted the battery so no way to consume it.

... I think my friend was about 3 blades from no more battery to crank it over. Like a perfect storm. Engine fire right as you've exhausted the battery so no way to consume it.

Ouch!

Priming generally won’t cause an engine fire. Pumping the throttle will. Pumping the throttle is bad practice. When I had my start-up engine fire it cost me $1000.00 per second. It took me about 5 seconds to get out of the plane. I’ve never pumped the throttle since.

I can’t imagine extinguishing an engine fire, starting the engine, and flying away without an inspection. My carb and air box were toast. Literally.

Yes our requires the same. I think my friend was about 3 blades from no more battery to crank it over. Like a perfect storm. Engine fire right as you've exhausted the battery so no way to consume it.

He probably had a lot more than that left in the battery if you were able to start it shortly after. It takes a lot of amps to get the prop spinning, once it’s in motion even a low battery can continue to spin it.
His decision to fly the aircraft after the fire shows very poor judgement.

He probably had a lot more than that left in the battery if you were able to start it shortly after. It takes a lot of amps to get the prop spinning, once it’s in motion even a low battery can continue to spin it.
His decision to fly the aircraft after the fire shows very poor judgement.
Putting the first starting load on the battery may have warmed it up so it had more capacity a few minutes later.

Putting the first starting load on the battery may have warmed it up so it had more capacity a few minutes later.
Lighting gasoline on fire below it might have warmed it up also. :D

Priming generally won’t cause an engine fire. Pumping the throttle will. Pumping the throttle is bad practice. When I had my start-up engine fire it cost me $1000.00 per second. It took me about 5 seconds to get out of the plane. I’ve never pumped the throttle since.

I can’t imagine extinguishing an engine fire, starting the engine, and flying away without an inspection. My carb and air box were toast. Literally.

Agree on the startup and flyaway after a fire. You could have a charred fuel hose, among other lethal damage.

Priming can easily start a fire, especially in the smaller Continentals that have the primer nozzle right above the carb. In others that have the nozzles farther up, the fuel can run down the induction piping and drip out the carb if there's enough of it, and the slow burn that starts in an over-rich cylinder sets it all off when the intake valve opens.

When it's cold the fuel doesn't vaporize easily. It mostly hits the walls of wherever the nozzle is located and starts running down. So when it's cold, it takes more prime to get enough vapor to fire at all in the cylinder. A single pump of prime and then cranking isn't going to get much. You'd need three, maybe more, and crank immediately to try to get the thing started enough that it sucks the fuel into the cylinders instead of giving it time to run down and out into the cowling.

And yes, pumping the throttle is a poor substitute for priming. It's too close to the air intake, and the accelerator pump nozzle doesn't atomize the fuel much at all.

Which reminds me: the primer nozzles clog as they age and start squirting a stream instead of a conical spray pattern. The fuel remaining in the nozzle gets cooked in there by heat, leaving varnish that accumulates and fills the tiny spin chamber inside the nozzle. That makes starting miserably difficult in the cold. Cleaning them is really tough, since carb cleaner won't easily eat its way into the tiny passages. I once built a pressure canister that had threaded ports to screw them into, with carb cleaner inside, and put pressure on it and left it there to see if it would get in there and clean them out. Nope. By the time I had fooled around with all this I could have bought a lot of new nozzles.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/primperfittingsan4022-1.php?clickkey=10951

The 182 would have a 90° angled primer nozzle, usually. Shoots into the aft end of the intake runners. Can't remember the AN number anymore. Costs a lot more, too.

Same. 3 shots and it fires first try every time

Him flying off to the annual was his decision.

Same. 3 shots and it fires first try every time
His 1-shot prime procedure was for a 150. I think you are also carb'd 182 correct? It was about +18F when he started. I know on our 182P if it was +18F and not plugged in I think it would take more than 3 shots...probably 5 or 6. Now when its really warm outside but hasn't been run a few days I can get it started on 2 but 3 is better and 4 seems to pop off with just one spin of the blades. But I have never pumped the throttle to start ever.. but we always preheat below +35F.

His 1-shot prime procedure was for a 150. I think you are also carb'd 182 correct? It was about +18F when he started. I know on our 182P if it was +18F and not plugged in I think it would take more than 3 shots...probably 5 or 6. Now when its really warm outside but hasn't been run a few days I can get it started on 2 but 3 is better and 4 seems to pop off with just one spin of the blades. But I have never pumped the throttle to start ever.. but we always preheat below +35F.
Yes. I don't start it without preheat if it's under 40º. The damage to the engine isn't worth it

Pumping the throttle on a carb with an accelerator jet squirts fuel from the float bowl into the throat of the carb. If the engine is not running when this happens, the fuel will dribble down from the carb into the airbox (carbs usually on the underside of engine). Get a backfire and boom, your airbox is on fire.

Back