Saving money to convert to FAA CPL license.

Shurdak

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Nic
Hello! I'm Nicolas, a colombian commercial plane pilot.

I've been holding my license since 2017 and still have found zero job opportunities in my country. (Also, haven't been able to finance any more training, it's expensive as we all know)
So a couple friends have suggested me to create a GoFundMe to help me save a little bit more for the VERY costly conversion to a FAA license (More than $20k!)

I'd like to know what you guys think about it? Would it be worth it? Are there more job opportunities for pilots in the U.S? (Europe or Canada would not be an option for me as I currently have no place there to stay and would make the costs even higher)

I take any recommendation or advice you have.

Thanks for reading!

Hello Nicolas, you will need at least a green card if not a citizenship in the USA - if you don’t there will be zero opportunities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello Nicolas, you will need at least a green card if not a citizenship in the USA - if you don’t there will be zero opportunities.

Hey Piper!

I might be able to apply for a green card in a couple years, as my mother is a permanent resident and her husband an american citizen.
That process will take at least 2 years, in the meantime I could be saving some money and doing the license conversion (Which takes from 12-18 months)

Sound like a good plan to me! all the best and good luck

Why so much? Are the FAA requirements that much more rigorous than Columbia's?
Every flight school where I've asked charges anywhere from $15-25k, it almost feels like doing the whole pilot training again. But you could say is basically the same requirements, specially since Colombia follows the ICAO guidelines and tries to be as close as the FAA is too.

Every flight school where I've asked charges anywhere from $15-25k, it almost feels like doing the whole pilot training again. But you could say is basically the same requirements, specially since Colombia follows the ICAO guidelines and tries to be as close as the FAA is too.

This may be helpful: https://www.gleimaviation.com/2019/...-foreign-pilot-license-to-an-faa-certificate/

Appears you convert your Colombian license to an FAA private. Take the Instrument written and that converts.

What’s unclear is whether any PIC hours earned under your foreign license will be allowed to count towards the FAA CSEL experience requirements.

Additional FAA info: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification

I will look through this information, thanks!

This may be helpful: https://www.gleimaviation.com/2019/...-foreign-pilot-license-to-an-faa-certificate/

Appears you convert your Colombian license to an FAA private. Take the Instrument written and that converts.

What’s unclear is whether any PIC hours earned under your foreign license will be allowed to count towards the FAA CSEL experience requirements.

Additional FAA info: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification
Important note: Once you obtain an FAA private pilot certificate that is based on a foreign license, you will need to keep both the FAA certificate and your foreign license in your possession when exercising your FAA privileges. (From the Gliem Website).

You must maintain your foreign license and your foreign medical while exercising the privileges of the FAA Private Pilot Certificate. Your FAA Private Certificate is "based" on the foreign certificate and is not "stand alone". After completing the paperwork, interview, and receiving the FAA certificate, you must complete a "Flight Review" with a US certified instructor. Foreign certificates at a Commercial or ATP level do not "convert" at the same level for an FAA certificate. Those ratings must be completed with a US instructor and to US standards.

To take additional training for the higher certificate in the US, you will need to complete the TSA vetting process before you can begin training. Completing the "Flight Review" at the Private Pilot level or any aircraft checkouts are not considered "training" by the TSA, but simply maintaining your current certificate.

You should be able to get a US pilot certificate that is based on your foreign license, fly around to learn the US system, and then take a checkride to earn a stand-alone FAA certificate. That shouldn't cost you anywhere close to the price you were quoted.

Back