Save the money on flight training! lol

Thinking or attempting to do your own flight training is no different than representing yourself at your first degree murder trial or attempting to perform a cardiac transplant on yourself.

This guy could be an example of at least 3, maybe 4, or the 5 hazardous attitudes.

Seems like a fun exercise. I can come up with all five, although with only a few sentences on this person they might be reaching, but only a little bit.

---

Anti-authority: The "authority" doesn't have to be a legal one but could also be an "expert" on a topic. The friend doesn't want any authority figures to give him advice or tell him what to do. Check.

Macho: He can do it. Check.

Impulsivity: The aircraft is already bought, he is already planning to fly it, seems to have done little research and hasn't "thought" about his plan too carefully. Check.

Invulnerability: He is practical enough to stay alive. It won't happen to him. Check.

Resignation: You crash slow, so it doesn't matter. Check.

I have a friend who taught himself to fly in a Firestar. No formal instruction, but he'd done some flying with friends in Cubs and a Quicksilver, and had hundreds of hours in powered paragliders (he was national champion, one year) and powered parachutes. But he didn't know what he didn't know (never did a stall because he was afraid to, for example), and he didn't keep the Firestar long. Now he bought a C-170 and is getting proper instruction in it.

OTOH, I know another guy who had some 20 hours in an Ercoupe 30 years ago, no flying since, who rebuilt a Firestar and tried to fly it... he crashed on his first flight. He survived, but was badly injured and the plane was totaled.

When I was actively instructing, I had a student that owned 1/2 partnership in a C-150.

One evening I just finished up with another student and was walking towards my trailer when I noticed that 150 was gone. (I lived in my Rv on the airport) No big deal, the partner must be out flying.

The next morning the partner was in the little airport restaurant for breakfast. I asked him where his plane was. He told me his partner took it to visit his mom for the weekend.

When the student returned, I asked him about the flight. He said it went good, no problem. I said yes, problem since I did not endorse the cross country flight. He said no one tells me when I can or can't fly my plane.

I requested he find another instructor. As far as I know, he never did finish up.

I believe an algebraic equation may provide the answer you seek.

Instruction-(In)+(De)= Destruction

As long as he has a AOA sensor he will be ok.

Play this for him:

I wonder if they ever found out "what the hell she was doing"? Or if her "sense of adventure" survived.
I liked that the guy was yelling instructions to her.

My dad was a pilot, moved back to Wisconsin and used to tell about the farmers out there that would buy these ultralights. Laughed as he mentioned that they kept landing in other farmers fields, crashing or landing, because they would fly with a tailwind and run out of fuel trying to get back to their farms into a headwind not knowing enough to get it.

I haven't gone into the FAA rules on it, but what if anything is required to legally pilot one of these?
I can't imagine insurance companies would cover a pilot with no instruction.

I haven't gone into the FAA rules on it, but what if anything is required to legally pilot one of these?
I can't imagine insurance companies would cover a pilot with no instruction.

For a true ultralight (under 254#, single seat, <5 gallons fuel) no pilot certification or aircraft inspection is required. Many if not most ultralights, however, are overweight, though. The FAA usually ignores it until there's an accident, then the pilot gets violated for flying an unregistered aircraft with no pilot certificate.

Insurance companies generally require at least some instruction with an instructor's signoff of some kind.

Insurance companies generally require at least some instruction with an instructor's signoff of some kind.

Isn't there also some odd ball catch 22 in the whole training thing, since no trainer is single seat? I've skimmed over stuff like this in the past, but for some reason my curiosity is up now. :)

For a true ultralight (under 254#, single seat, <5 gallons fuel) no pilot certification or aircraft inspection is required. Many if not most ultralights, however, are overweight, though. The FAA usually ignores it until there's an accident, then the pilot gets violated for flying an unregistered aircraft with no pilot certificate.

Just wow. So to drive a car one has to get licensed but to fly a little ultralight, that can and do fall out of the sky pretty much anywhere (at least most car accidents happen on roads) on anyone? With zero training?

And it hadn't even occurred to me, denverpilot pointing out one seaters can't be trainers.
What about for a diligent and responsible ultralight guy? Do they have courses, or just self study?

At some point, flight is flight. I mean, ok. They may not need to know regulations, but SOME airspace regulations I would think they ought to have to know since some airspace is from ground up. This just makes no sense to me.

Just have him play Microsoft Flight Simulator for about 30 minutes. That should qualify him to land the 747 and just about anything else. At least that's what I've heard.

Back