Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Hangar-One-Moffett-Field.jpg

Go to the website

http://www.savehangarone.org/

sign the online petition

Already have...months ago.

Pretty much the same issue applies to MCAS Tustin in Southern California.

Only 730 huh? Y'all need to hit up Steve Jobs and the Cupertino bunch. This decorates their neck of the woods, start a private fundraiser to get the job done. There's plenty of discretionary income in that area.

It is this type of pork barrel that the tax payers can no longer afford.

Already have...months ago.

Pretty much the same issue applies to MCAS Tustin in Southern California.

When was the last time an airship was in Hangar 1 at Moffett? Then tell me when the last airship was in Tustin.

One has been used recently and one hasn't. If I had to support keeping one around, I know which one I'd pick.

Welfare for old hangars. No thanks. Tear it down and let someone build a Walmart or something that people want and can use and might just pay for itself.

It is this type of pork barrel that the tax payers can no longer afford.

I think you're right, I think this should go into the hands of "Historical Preservation Societies" with Charitable Organization tax status. This goes to the "Community" sector.

I think you're right, I think this should go into the hands of "Historical Preservation Societies" with Charitable Organization tax status. This goes to the "Community" sector.
Pretty much the way all of the lighthouses are going. The government doesn't want them and practically gives them away IF your organization can pay for the upkeep.

Welfare for old hangars. No thanks. Tear it down and let someone build a Walmart or something that people want and can use and might just pay for itself.
I know, right. Let's keep the ball rolling. Tear down all memorials that aren't fiscally neutral. Assign a commission to make that determination. Open up national parks, et al, to consumerism. Long live the almighty dollar.

Welcome to Wal-Mart National Mall. Annual passes available at the front desk.

I know, right. Let's keep the ball rolling. Tear down all memorials that aren't fiscally neutral. Assign a commission to make that determination. Open up national parks, et al, to consumerism. Long live the almighty dollar.

No, the point is WE ARE BROKE - HELLOOOOOO!
When you are broke, you stick to critical needs, not 'would be nice' wants and wishes. There is plenty of private money to save one or two of these. Don't ask some poor soul busting his or her butt to support a family in Iowa to contribute to every pet project you can think of. Even if their contribution is a buck or less it's a buck or less he has to feed his kids. :nono:

When you are broke, you stick to critical needs, not 'would be nice' wants and wishes. There is plenty of private money to save one or two of these. Don't ask some poor soul busting his or her butt to support a family in Iowa to contribute to every pet project you can think of. Even if their contribution is a buck or less it's a buck or less he has to feed his kids. :nono:

One thing that being a captain on yachts has shown me is there is enough private money out there in the hands of a few thousand people that they can as a group of just 5 of the top 100 do anything. It is staggering.

Close- starting a commission to do anything that should be revenue positive is the wrong choice. Parks can be run privately and profitably with no loss to us, see.
Yes long live the almighty dollar. Lets leave some more that you earned in your pocket so you can donate them to save airship hangars and leave some more that I earned in my pocket so I can buy more tows. Win win. Well the bureaucrats that live on the handling vig suffer but they deserve worse then they will ever get.

Then cut the wasteful spending in Washington. Counting pennies while ignoring dollars is silly. You aren't busting your butt because of a hanger or some such project. No, the cause is the devalued dollar and the policies keeping the economy down.

Then cut the wasteful spending in Washington. Counting pennies while ignoring dollars is silly. You aren't busting your butt because of a hanger or some such project. No, the cause is the devalued dollar and the policies keeping the economy down.

It all adds up Richard, it all added up to the mess we have now. You're right on the dollars but ignoring the small stuff built us up to this ridiculous point.
Every time I hear a politician say a few BILLION is a drop in the bucket compared to the 'big picture' I want to puke.

That's the thinking that got us here....:mad2:

Broke is broke. We as a Nation haven't yet come to terms with that. We just print more money and hope the Euro is in worse shape than the dollar.

Meanwhile our "top minds" in our Fed banking system are enjoying a nice vacation and symposium of their usual banking BS in Jackson Hole, WY...

All expenses paid, by us... Of course.

Jeez....alot of people here just don't appreciate history anymore. :(

As a History major and someone who loves history, that makes me sad.

So, you'll be in favor of a 50% cut to our military budget then? That's a saving of $331.9 Billions.

It make a lot of us sad to see that 1 out of 6 kids in this nation faces daily hunger.

But our congress critters would rather spend 30 mil on a study of march rats and build turtle bridges.

meaning less Pork barrel spending must stop.

It make a lot of us sad to see that 1 out of 6 kids in this nation faces daily hunger.

But our congress critters would rather spend 30 mil on a study of march rats and build turtle bridges.

meaning less Pork barrel spending must stop.

Read post #23

I like history as well, but at what cost? What practical use is there for this building?

If it's that important of building, maybe Airship Ventures will chip in to save it, since as far as I can tell, they're the only ones that have had an airship in it recently.

I like history as well, but at what cost? What practical use is there for this building?

If it's that important of building, maybe Airship Ventures will chip in to save it, since as far as I can tell, they're the only ones that have had an airship in it recently.

Read post #23

I keep referring back to the 50% Military cut because let's be honest. If you're not going to touch one of the big three, Military, Social Security, or Medicare/Mediaid, then you're not serious about budget cuts. Because all you're doing by not touching the big three is engaging in nickle and diming. It's like ignoring the main course and considering the appetizer a meal.

Read post #23

I keep referring back to the 50% Military cut because let's be honest. If you're not going to touch one of the big three, Military, Social Security, or Medicare/Mediaid, then you're not serious about budget cuts. Because all you're doing by not touching the big three is engaging in nickle and diming. It's like ignoring the main course and considering the appetizer a meal.

Stop playing games and answer my question. Yes, I'm in favor of cutting the budget across the board, including defense and entitlements. Now, what practical use is there for this hangar?

Stop playing games and answer my question. Yes, I'm in favor of cutting the budget across the board, including defense and entitlements. Now, what practical use is there for this hangar?

I'm not playing games. People who think that defunding Planned Parenthood and NPR, giving tax cuts to "job creators" while wanting to tax the lower and middle class are the ones playing games. As for your question.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." ~ George Santayana

I'm not playing games. People who think that defunding Planned Parenthood and NPR, giving tax cuts to "job creators" while wanting to tax the lower and middle class are the ones playing games. As for your question.

"Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it." ~ George Santayana

So, basically, you're saying that you would rather throw money at a building with no purpose than using the same money to help somebody or do something productive. Interesting.

Honestly, I've got potentially a lot to gain by this hangar being redone, but I hope it doesn't happen. If it gets done, it needs to done by a private donor/company.

So, basically, you're saying that you would rather throw money at a building with no purpose than using the same money to help somebody or do something productive. Interesting.

Honestly, I've got potentially a lot to gain by this hangar being redone, but I hope it doesn't happen. If it gets done, it needs to done by a private donor/company.

You know as well as I do that any money saved by a budget cut would never reach the masses. Our government system is so corrupted that our politicians and their corporate puppeteers.....I mean backers would soon pocket the money than actually give it back to us.

You know as well as I do that any money saved by a budget cut would never reach the masses. Our government system is so corrupted that our politicians and their corporate puppeteers.....I mean backers would soon pocket the money than actually give it back to us.

But you would still rather us spend the money to save a building that serves no purpose presently than try to do something productive with the money.

How many other airship hangars do we have in the country today? Why is this one special?

This hanger is the last one of the last. Plus there is the history of Moffet itself. Should the National Parks be privatized? Should, say the fields of Gettysburg and others be privatized? Should he who puts up the money be allowed to control access to our history?

When we put money first and foremost is when we lose the quality of living.

To bring it home, using the logic that a thing must produce an income, how do you even justify your own non-commercial flying? Or taking the boat out, or any recreational pursuit?

Why not tear down the Washington Monument and use the bricks to build homeless shelters. And all future generations will hate us for it. But hey, we saved them money!

This hanger is the last one of the last. Plus there is the history of Moffet itself. Should the National Parks be privatized? Should, say the fields of Gettysburg and others be privatized? Should he who puts up the money be allowed to control access to our history?

Feel free to make Moffat a National Park, if it's that important. Really. I'm not kidding. You probably won't like the results...

It's pretty ludicrous to put Moffat Field up there with a Civil War battlefield in importance, but grab the paperwork and start talking to a Congresscritter if that's the goal.

The answer to your perhaps rhetorical question at the bottom is, yes.

Try getting into a National Park via the normal road routes without paying the government for the privilege.

Want to park at Mt. Rushmore? You'll be paying a private contractor set up by the government to be the sole Monopoly vendor of parking in the parking structure. Want to see Rocky Mountain National Park? You'll buy a pass at the gate.

Grand Canyon? Maybe a few ways into that one that you don't pay the Feds, but you'll pay the Tribe that owns the land adjacent. Four Corners? Zion? Bryce Canyon? Captol Reef? You'll pay to see all of them.

You weren't serious with that question, were you?

Feel free to make Moffat a National Park, if it's that important. Really. I'm not kidding. You probably won't like the results...

It's pretty ludicrous to put Moffat Field up there with a Civil War battlefield in importance, but grab the paperwork and start talking to a Congresscritter if that's the goal.

The answer to your perhaps rhetorical question at the bottom is, yes.

Try getting into a National Park via the normal road routes without paying the government for the privilege.

Want to park at Mt. Rushmore? You'll be paying a private contractor set up by the government to be the sole Monopoly vendor of parking in the parking structure. Want to see Rocky Mountain National Park? You'll buy a pass at the gate.

Grand Canyon? Maybe a few ways into that one that you don't pay the Feds, but you'll pay the Tribe that owns the land adjacent. Four Corners? Zion? Bryce Canyon? Captol Reef? You'll pay to see all of them.

You weren't serious with that question, were you?
With the exception of RMNP and any of the Civil War sites in the east I have visited every one of those places and I didn't have to pay as you imply. Yes, the parking at Rushmore is a joke but that's only at the center. I've even spent weeks in Yosemite or Death Valley NP without so much as paying a dime.

It's pretty ludicrous to place somebody's mountain side selective demolition as a NP but there it is.

Last edited:
I guess pilots are so used to other people paying for their infrastructure most of em see no end to OPM.

Read post #23

How about a big cut in the military and a dismantaling of the other two? Put the money back into my pocket and I'll decide if I want to fund a big hangar. (hint: I probably would)

History is important but it's down a little on the list:wink2:

When we put money first and foremost is when we lose the quality of living.

To bring it home, using the logic that a thing must produce an income, how do you even justify your own non-commercial flying? Or taking the boat out, or any recreational pursuit?

Why not tear down the Washington Monument and use the bricks to build homeless shelters. And all future generations will hate us for it. But hey, we saved them money!

That's a big spin on the OP's post..

but when you bring up that statement, most all of the national parks have a concessionaires running then "Yellowstome" is the best example. The only NP uniform you see is at the gate.

Back