Savannah (KSAV) Recommendations?

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
I am taking my wife to KSAV for a weekend vacation and looking for advice on Sheltair or Signature on the field? I know gas is expensive, but any other words to pass along? Any info about the field or town is greatly appreciated.

No info for you but I've got a friend who I've been thinking of flying down to visit so I would love to hear about your experiance.

Like I said in the other thread, I twice flew into SAV. it was really easy, we got good service, the FBO was gorgeous, and I don't recall any big fees. We had no trouble renting a car. There is a museum adjacent to the field (the mighty Eighth, I believe) and downtown isn't very far away at all. A very, very pleasant place to visit, I recommend it quite highly. It looks like nothing else anywhere I've been.

Rarely would I suggest doing something so 'touristy', but take the time to do one of the horse drawn carriage tours. There is a LOT of history in Savannah and a good carriage driver can at least scratch the surface of the little-known info while taking you around to see some of the sites. We did one that was <$20 per person and lasted around an hour. The bus tours just looked HOT!

Can't speak to flying to the area - we've hit Charleston and Jekyll Island but haven't made the flight to SAV yet.

The carriage rides are fun, but the bus tours (depending on what time of year) are good too. The windows open up and it's not bad.

Steingar, I'm intrigued by your comment "like no place you've ever been". What do you mean?

Steingar, I'm intrigued by your comment "like no place you've ever been". What do you mean?

I've never been in a place that is urban, old, tropical and utterly verdant. The place just has a beat like no other, at least in my admittedly limited travels. The closest I've come is the gulf coast of Mexico. Given its proximity to the East coast, utter uniqueness, and ease of accessibility, it gets high marks on the Steingar must visit list. That said, time your visit carefully. It gets hot.

I am taking my wife to KSAV for a weekend vacation and looking for advice on Sheltair or Signature on the field? I know gas is expensive, but any other words to pass along? Any info about the field or town is greatly appreciated.

Signature always treats me well, anywhere I go. I've only been to KSAV once, but I can say it was the usual nice Signature FBO, with attentive service. I probably paid a fee, but I don't recall. I remember nice restrooms, free cookies and cold water, and a quick turn.

I used Sheltair at KSAV last winter and was very happy with the service & facilities. They arranged a hotel for us at a great rate. Gave a discount for topping off even though we only took a couple hours of fuel on a Cherokee 140.

SAV is an airport I wouldn't mind connecting from (to go INTL) for instance) because it's so darn easy and pleasant. I have arrived 45 minutes before departure, in a rental car, and still had plenty of time for security, potty break, and stopping to buy a newspaper.

The historical part of Savannah is a treat at night. Sweeping live oak trees (with Spanish Moss) draped all over... huge interesting houses.. weather is rarely bad in the winter (but bloody hot in summer). I was there in late February and it walking around at night felt like a nice spring night in DC. Which is why I want to eventually winter down there.

I have yet to visit there for St Patrick's Day - that's on the list.

Walking tours are a good choice, too. My wife and I love Savannah. My mom (RIP) is from Savannah. My aunt is still there. After your tour of the 8th, stay downtown.

Jazz'd is a nice Tapas bar. Grab a cocktail at the bar at Avia Hotel just to try the bacon bar snack. City Market is nice - grab a slice at Vinnie Van Go Go's.

Find out if there are any festivals going on during your visit.

Savannah is a great town.

If you go to Atlanta, they ask you what business you are in.
If you go to Valdosta, they ask you where you go to church.
If you go to Athens, they ask you where you went to school.
If you to to Savannah, they ask you, "what would you like to drink?"

I used Sheltair at KSAV last winter and was very happy with the service & facilities. They arranged a hotel for us at a great rate. Gave a discount for topping off even though we only took a couple hours of fuel on a Cherokee 140.

+1, but my PIREP is a few years old ... we got great service from Sheltair.

I have yet to visit there for St Patrick's Day - that's on the list.

On my list too, evidently a blow out. A freind from HS is a morning Dj there and spends all weekend on stage throwing green beads.

Back