Savannah GA, Nov 1-4, Advice appreciated...

RV10flyer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
RV10flyer
We are planning on taking a short family trip vfr from PMH-SAV and wanted to get your recommendations on fbo, car rental, hotel($100-$150/nt, edit: okay make it $150-$250/nt), things to do and places to eat. Thank you!

Last edited:
Well, I just moved here last week so I guess that makes me an expert. I'm based at KLHW. There really aren't any good options for airports except KSAV and it's pricey. KLHW is probably your best option but it's quite a way out of town. I'm not terribly excited about working AT KSAV but having to keep my plane 30 miles south. I can haul 3, maybe 4 folks in my truck if you need a lift somewhere. Truthfully, I'd probably fly into KSAV, pay the premium for fuel and see if the FBO can get you a good rate on a room and car. You could try Hilton Head too, if you're going there.

DO NOT GO TO The Lady and Sons Expect at least a 2 hour wait for your "reservation" if you don't call ahead. then expect to pay triple for food that half the quality of Cracker Barrel. Poorly cooked cafeteria food is all it is, all marketing , no substance. Go line up at Mrs. Wilkes if you're going to wait to eat. The seafood joints (I've only been to two) on River St all seem to be good.

If you find yourself bored for half an hour take a drive through St. Bonaventure cemetery. It's worth half an hour or so of your time.

Well, that's all I've done so far.

Last edited:
For a fun day drive up to Beaufort - pretty little southern town with character. Takes about an hour. Stay out of Hilton Head - its just a tourist trap. Pretty but the low country around Beaufort and the drive to the beach [Hwy 21 to Hunting Island State Park] is worth not wasting your time on Hilton Head.

Beaufort is simply FULL of people from Ohio - you'll fit right in.

Back to Savannah - The candy companies down on River Street are always handing out hot pralines - if you eat some you will buy some. But its only good hot. So get the bear claws instead - go take a tour of SCAD - getting a little big for its britches but it is a great art college.

SAV is really the only airport because if you fly into HXD you'll pay for the pleasure every bit as much.

Stay at the River Street Inn if you can afford it.

You are gonna need to raise your nightly price for hotels in Savannah - $150 a night will barely buy a decent room near River Street and the squares. It is an expensive city to stay and eat in - but its worth it. Like Rusty says - stay away from the tourist traps . . . and the LAdy is one= just wander around outside late a night - you'll get the same show for free.

My wife and I flew into KSAV and used Sheltair. We had rented from Avis and Sheltair called them up and had the car delivered while we waited. We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites near the airport.

There is a lot to do in Savannah. You can walk all the shops along the waterfront downtown, plenty of dining down there, but parking is kind of a premium. You can also head out to Tybee Island. Out on Tybee The Crab Shack is a pretty cool place to eat.

Have fun.

Fort Pulaski and the 8th Air Force museum. River walk and plenty of dining available downtown.

DO NOT GO TO The Lady and Sons Expect at least a 2 hour wait for your "reservation" if you don't call ahead. then expect to pay triple for food that half the quality of Cracker Barrel.

Agreed. Lady's food was a big disappointment. Uncle Bubba's is much better. A bit of a long ride out of town, but the setting is beautiful.

Stay at the River Street Inn if you can afford it.

You are gonna need to raise your nightly price for hotels in Savannah - $150 a night will barely buy a decent room near River Street and the squares. It is an expensive city to stay and eat in - but its worth it.

Definitely stay on the river, outside of that area - Savannah is just another nondescript southern city.

Agreed. Lady's food was a big disappointment. Uncle Bubba's is much better. A bit of a long ride out of town, but the setting is beautiful.

Definitely stay on the river, outside of that area - Savannah is just another nondescript southern city.

I think Uncle Bubba's is her restaurant as well.

Although I still maintain the fried chicken and mashed potatoes were great. The rest.. agreed.

I am taking notes. I really appreciate all of your responses. Keep them coming.

The thread linked has TONS of things in it.. good luck! November is a good time to be there.

DO NOT GO TO The Lady and Sons Expect at least a 2 hour wait for your "reservation" if you don't call ahead. then expect to pay triple for food that half the quality of Cracker Barrel. Poorly cooked cafeteria food is all it is, all marketing , no substance.

Two words: Pink House

(ok, it's The Olde Pink House, but that's how I remember it). I've had several great meals there.

Just read that entire thread. Very good info! Thank you.

Just read that entire thread. Very good info! Thank you.

+1 for the mighty eighth museum. I just spent 1.5 days there. The little cafe inside isn't half bad. agree stay away from hilton head unless you have reseravations at a resort. I drove down there, don't see myself going back. Not my cup-o-tea. I'm going to go explore Tybee this weekend. I'll give a PIREP if you want it.

Rusty,

Yes, I would appreciate that very much.

I am an A&P by the way. I worked at PDK after 5 yrs of Army Blackhawks. Now, HVAC. Where do you work on the field?

Maybe after 5 weeks they will allow us.:goofy: I can taxi the RV-10 over and see about moving up. ;) I applied for a job there in 1993 as I was leaving the Army. Maybe they can pull my old resume. The wife might like it so much, she will want to move. We lived in Atlanta until 2000 and moved back home. Really miss Georgia and all of the friendly people. Don't miss Atl traffic. We still can't believe we did not go to Sav for the seven years we lived in Ga.

+1 for the mighty eighth museum. I just spent 1.5 days there. The little cafe inside isn't half bad. agree stay away from hilton head unless you have reseravations at a resort. I drove down there, don't see myself going back. Not my cup-o-tea. I'm going to go explore Tybee this weekend. I'll give a PIREP if you want it.

Awww. HHI has a lot going for it. There are a lot of good restaurants there and good beaches. If you want to go kayaking or biking, there are plenty of places for that too.

Maybe after 5 weeks they will allow us.:goofy: I can taxi the RV-10 over and see about moving up. ;) I applied for a job there in 1993 as I was leaving the Army. Maybe they can pull my old resume. The wife might like it so much, she will want to move. We lived in Atlanta until 2000 and moved back home. Really miss Georgia and all of the friendly people. Don't miss Atl traffic. We still can't believe we did not go to Sav for the seven years we lived in Ga.

They're doing a lot of hiring right now, also hiring interns for the next 2 months if you know any college kids. FWIW they're expecting over 200,000 applications in the next year. From what I can tell, it's a good place. I'm sure they'll work with you on trading in the RV10. The G650 is $65,000,000 so bring the '10 and $64,850,000 in cash and I'm sure they'll work with you. You can expect delivery in about 6 years. :D

I got two former 15T buds working at Gulfstream right now. Both got hired within the last two years and love it. They did a lot of hiring just in the last year there.

Awww. HHI has a lot going for it. There are a lot of good restaurants there and good beaches. If you want to go kayaking or biking, there are plenty of places for that too.

I went expecting Panama City Beach spring break '95... That ain't what HHI is. I read a little snippet that the average propery value on the Island is $1,600,000 that's a few pay grades above mine. I also found the people at Sea Pines to be the most obnoxious people I've ever met, and I've spent a lot of time in San Francisco and the Silicon Valley area. I can assure you Hilton Head isn't Montana (where I just moved from).

The one time my wife and I flew in we were on a straight in final and heard someone call number one to depart. The were told hold short for landing traffic (me). As we crossed the numbers I looked to the left and it was a Gulfstream waiting on little ole me :)

Called to check on bike rentals at Bicycle Billy's in HHI...$40-60 for the family. Seemed like a nice guy. Called sav rambles 2 hr walking tour $60. Called Sav Canoe & Kayak half day, 4 kayak tour $200. All seems reasonable and affordable. I called Palmetto Bluff and Sav vacation rentals...$450-$1200/night.:hairraise: They obviously have plenty of customers willing to spend that kind of money. I am sure they are worth it. Hey, I built my own plane...if I had that kind of money I would have bought a new Cirrus SR-22.

I went expecting Panama City Beach spring break '95... That ain't what HHI is. I read a little snippet that the average propery value on the Island is $1,600,000 that's a few pay grades above mine. I also found the people at Sea Pines to be the most obnoxious people I've ever met, and I've spent a lot of time in San Francisco and the Silicon Valley area. I can assure you Hilton Head isn't Montana (where I just moved from).

Probably tourists from Ohio. :wink2:

Called to check on bike rentals at Bicycle Billy's in HHI...$40-60 for the family. Seemed like a nice guy. Called sav rambles 2 hr walking tour $60. Called Sav Canoe & Kayak half day, 4 kayak tour $200. All seems reasonable and affordable. I called Palmetto Bluff and Sav vacation rentals...$450-$1200/night.:hairraise: They obviously have plenty of customers willing to spend that kind of money. I am sure they are worth it. Hey, I built my own plane...if I had that kind of money I would have bought a new Cirrus SR-22.

Palmetto Bluff is very swish.

ps. Check out Outside Hilton Head for outdoorsy things to do while you are there...

wait..wait..what is this??? I thought we were going to set you up with a new G650?? You're not buying one??? DAMMIT! I was hoping to get promoted to whatever office those blondes wearing Prada were in :D

Probably tourists from Ohio. :wink2:

I was turning around (there where all the bicylces and resturants are) in order to GTFO of Sea Pines. This "couple" came running up to my truck. I thought the truck was on fire, maybe there was a bomb attached to my seat or I had 3 flats or something they were so insistent on talking to me. What did they want? Well. In the most pompus uppity tone I've ever heard they informed me that "dogs" were not allowed on the property. I had a minature pomeranian in the truck with me who had crawled into my lap while I was turning around. He never got out of the truck and I was only turning around to get the hell out of there. If I had enough money to buy that place, I'd set it on fire first, then build a homeless shelter on the property.

Why did the guard let you in then?

Meaning, if dogs are not allowed how did you get past him ?

BEAUFORT SC. Its a million YEARS from Hilton Head but only 12nm . . . NO one is snobby - no one is rude - there are no New Yorkers with their stupid rules and CC&Rs.

You can easily buy a 3bdr 2 bath house on 1/4 acre for a whopping $200k . .. if you like fishing or eating fish and shrimp - Low Country cuisine will decrease the useful load quite a bit . . .

Why did the guard let you in then?

Meaning, if dogs are not allowed how did you get past him ?

Dogs are allowed,the guard took our 5 bucks and let us through, the dog was staring at him when he did. You can rent rooms on the resort that are dog friendly. Just commenting on the attitude of the people encountered on the island. I was actual stunned that they could see the dog with their noses so high in the air.

We are heading down on Friday Nov 2nd and returning Tuesday Nov 6th. We have the following planned: aerial tour at 2000 msl upon arrival out to Tybee and back to SAV, kayaking to Little Tybee, historic walking tour, ghost walking tour, UGA Marine Ctr, Bonaventure Cemetary, Shopping, more walking, Mighty Eighth, eating at The Olde Pink House/Crab Shack/Leopolds/Clary's, did I forget to mention some more walking and eating.

Weather down is forecasted to be good. We will know more later this week on the return trip.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Thank you. A marathon too. After all of this walking, it may feel like I have completed one.

We will be parked at Sheltair. Is Gulfstream's big building just to the South? Thank you Rusty.

We will be parked at Sheltair. Is Gulfstream's big building just to the South? Thank you Rusty.

There's plenty of Gulfstream buildings around. in relation to the airport, I'm not sure I haven't flown into the airport yet.

Back