savage cub

mpdan89

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Squirrel
anyone know anything about the savage cubs? are the bang for the buck or just crap? I want to buy a cub type aircraft in the future for my farm and I cant find anything about the savage cubs.

Go to www.Supercub.org and use the search function.
Long thread about the Savage and most any kind of Farm/STOL
Aircraft. Super Cub is the gold standard.
Dave

IMO it's just better to get the real thing off the batt, same reason I just got a 185, vs trying to trick out a 180.

Search around I've seen a few PA18-150s for sale.

How much do you want to spend and does it have to be LSA? I have a Backcountry Super Cub for sale. One of the nicest Cubs you will ever see. http://geared2survive.com/supercub/ Don

It does not have to be LSA, I prefer it not be LSA. I am looking at below a 100k and prefer it to be on the newer side vs 70 years old. I like the maules but I keep getting bad responses even though the guys at the local airport love them. I would love to buy your backcountry cub but at the moment I am just looking for later this year or next year. The backcountry cub is mainly what I have been drooling about for a while now.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in aviation, but you really should rethink needing a late year aircraft, in my experience maintance and the knowledge of the owner dictates the airframe condition far more than years.

I've flown 2000+ model year aircraft that were complete POSs and had all sorts of issues.

The plane I first soloed in has been a flight training plane it's whole life, owned by the same company since it was new... in the late 40s, it flew straight, performed to book numbers and had hardly any down time.

You should be able to get a real PA-18 for under 100k, I've seen some great examples for 70-80k, most with all the good mods, some even had ABWs installed.

Just a word of advise, don't get a experimental, you're buying a working bush plane and buying a experimental you kinda defeat that, as no operator will ever be able to make money with the plane, this will effect your resale value.

Just get a Piper built PA-18-150, you'll be more than happy and have one of the all time great aircraft.

Side note, Maules are GREAT aircraft, I've been around them quite a bit, been to the factory on a few occasions, great planes.

For these types of aircraft you really should be soliciting advice over here https://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum

Nothing wrong with POA, but you're not really talking the major demographic of it's users.

Last edited:
You can get bad Cub advice on lots of websites. And now here, too.

Experimental Cubs can be great airplanes. It depends on what you want. If the list includes slats, Keller flaps, stroker motors, nitrous injection, etc? E-AB is the way to go. Even for a stock configuration a kit plane like a Backcountry or Javron is a viable choice because it'll have new parts as opposed to 40-50-60 year old parts. Like the airframe. But you can buy new airframes for certificated Cubs, too. It just gets more expensive. Like $240K Top Cubs. Lots of choices out there. Identify what you want. A 100hp PA-11 is very different from a 220hp slat wing wide body. Both are Cubs.

This is a legitimate point of decision. Both arguments for and against E/AB are valid, the key to deciding is figuring out where you are going to get you best value. First you have to consider, "Is there any chance I will want to put this plane to work as a utility pilot?" If the answer to that is 'Yes', then you cannot go E/AB.

If however your answer is "No chance in hell, this plane is for me for fun." Then E/AB b comes a valid option. Whether you should choose this option is still not settled. First we need to figure out your desired mechanical involvement. If you are a mechanically inclined person with the discipline not to cut corners, then E/AB is a valid option. If you are not, and intend to use an A&P to do all your work, you don't really gain any advantage except the equipment you can use.

The counter poise to James's point of marketability is that the price tags are showing a strong E/AB Supercub market where E/AB prices are equal to and above those on certified copies.

To me, on these planes, I think that is bet too close to make odds on, so I would dismiss it from the equation. The big differential is, "Is there a chance you want to just go fly up to Alaska and hook up with an operator for a season?" Outside of that, I would buy the individual plane that I liked best in my price range, regardless if it was a Piper or E/AB.

FYI, very few operators use Cubs for 135 ops. Very few. Most of the guides that use Cubs in Alaska are charging their clients for hunting, not air transportation, and some of those guys use experimental Cubs. If flying is incidental to the services being provided it is not a revenue flight and does not fall under commercial flight rules. So when guys tell you "operators" can't use E-AB Cubs I wonder who it is they're talking about.

I built a spectacular 160hp PA-12 about 10 years ago. New from the ground up except I did use some original wing ribs and three spars. All else new including airframe. Crosswinds short mount, Kydex interior, huge extended baggage, Firmin belly pod, Cub tail, Cub gear, 31" Bushwheels, FliLite hydraulic skis.... It performs like a dream. Sold it to a buddy for $95K. They're out there.

And BTW, as soon as some map is laid out for the potential change in 3rd class medicals? I'll be building another Cub. This one will be an E-AB wide body with 180hp. I may even use a PA-12 airframe for more space but I'll have to change the AOI to make it do what I want. Easy stuff in E-AB.

Last edited:
There was a WWII Cub type aircraft I saw at OSH set up as an air ambulance with a turtle deck behind the cockpit to place a stretcher. I always thought that would make an excellent solo camping/back country travel rig, you could even hinge it both sides with a chain between two center tubes so it flips out into a double.

Being able to do stuff like that, that is why if I got a Supercub, it would be E/AB, when you add in that I still want glass SVT avionics, it just seals the deal.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am mainly looking for playtime not working. I may just settle for a J3 and when time comes rebuild it from ground up. My aviation experience is very little... I am still learning a lot.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am mainly looking for playtime not working. I may just settle for a J3 and when time comes rebuild it from ground up. My aviation experience is very little... I am still learning a lot.
J3's carry nostalgia and little else. If you want that class of low power bird, a champ is a whole lot more comfortable.

A light J-3 with a C90 will get you the same take-off distance
as a Super Cub at lower elevations.
Climb rate is the big difference.
Farm airplane, depends on the farm, my
Dad used a Cessna 120 in the flatlands of Ohio.
Dave

Light makes a difference. Look at the Valdez winning modified Cub. Low power, low weight. No useful load, either. A purpose-built airplane. But in very close second was a 200+hp modified PA-12. Lots of room, lots of useful load. Cub performance is all over the board. Take some time, figure out what you need, and zero in on your ideal plane. Fun stuff!

Back