Saturday recipe

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Take 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of popcorn, put it in a brown paper bag, fold the top over, and microwave on high for 1 min 30 sec to 2 minutes 30 sec depending on your microwave. Mine takes 2 minutes- some are faster, others are slower. Do not use the "sense" feature on newer microwaves- you can burn stuff. Serves one. For each additional serving, add another tablespoon of popcorn.

No salt, no artificial butter flavor- actually low fat. I can also make enough for one person. At the local organic food store, 1 lb of popcorn=$0.99. Buy 1/2 or 1/4 lb since it dries out & looses it's pop over time.

For traditional popcorn, put 1 tablespoon peanut oil in a wok (round bottom better than flat bottom) and heat on high. the oil is ready when a kernal of popcorn dropped in the oil pops. (I use 3-4 kernals so a dud won't throw off the test). Toss the rest of the popcorn in and clap a lid on the wok and kick the heat down to medium. When the you don't hear popping for 15 sec consider it done. Remove from the heat- toss on some butter, salt, replace the lid & mix everything together. You can add other flavorings- chili powder, etc. when adding the salt and butter

Enjoy!

Does that work?

In the early days of microwave ovens they had microwave popcorn poppers. Just a heat resistant plastic thing. The key design was the popping chamber is a cone to concentrate the kernels.

Use a hot air popper if you can stand the noise. I keep burning those out.

Last edited:
Works well for me- you just need fresh popcorn. old stuff is too dry. I was sancking on some when I wrote it. I have cooked any recipe I post.

Back