Saturday morning was the best day for kids (back in the day)

I loved Saturday morning cartoons, and I also grew up in the Looney Tunes era. The other show I loved watching was Space Giants, the Japanese show with the big robots (Goldar, Silvar, and Gam) that could turn into rockets. I loved that show.

Speed Racer

--

I tried to find another show I vaguely remember, but haven't had any luck. Pretty sure it was a live action Japanese production.

I think I found it: "Ultraman"

Dad used to get up with me on Saturday mornings to watch Underdog, Mighty Mouse, PeeWee's Playhouse, etc. TMNT was a favorite as well as Ren and Stimpy.

I saw a few episodes of PeeWee's Playhouse a few weeks ago - I had forgotten how many hidden jokes it had.

I saw a few episodes of PeeWee's Playhouse a few weeks ago - I had forgotten how many hidden jokes it had.
Around that same time frame there was also "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot". It was aired in the KC market by KBMA (now KSHB).

Grape Ape, Funky Phantom, Speed Buggy, Far Out Space Nuts with Bob Denver, The Jetsons.

My dad was never a fan of cartoons, and the last thing on earth you ever wanted to happen was for him to catch you lying around on a weekend. He'd find a chore for you, and if he couldn't think of something it would be clearing the fence row with a hand sickle, and a dull one at that. The only time I ever saw him laugh at a cartoon: My brother and I were watching the Jetsons, the one where George was drafted for the Army and was taking the future version of the ASVAB. The guy in front of him was a big dumb fella and he was supposed to put the pegs in the correct holes. Round, square, triangle, etc. The round peg wouldn't go in the square hole, so he pounded it in. The computer said "OFFICER MATERIAL" and it took my dad all morning to stop laughing.

Don't forget Johnny Quest!
I remember watching the first episode... Black and White... Don't know if it was broadcast that way, but we didn't have a color set. I think I was about 9 years old and it wasn't on Saturday... IIRC it was actually during prime time cause I remember getting home from Grocery shopping with my mom and she normally did that on Friday's after dad came home with his pay envelope... DAM! I CAN'T BELIEVE I REMEMBER ALL THAT!

Around that same time frame there was also "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot". It was aired in the KC market by KBMA (now KSHB).
Ahh - that one looks familiar. There were a number of Japanese anime shows on around then, too, like "Astro Boy" and "Marine Boy" that I remember.

Then there was Romper Room and Bozo.

Interesting times.

Funny, I don't remember Saturday morning cartoons so much, I guess going outside to play was more important. But I do remember Captain Kangaroo and Romper Room, that was weekdays I think? And Flipper on Saturday night and Lassie on Sunday night.

What about those shows where the characters were puppets... Like Super Car, for example..

I remember one titled Fireball XL5, but I haven't Google'd anything on it... yet! The Thunderbirds were another, but that was on a channel our rabbit ear antenna could not pick up! We lived in the sticks, as it were.

Don't forget Johnny Quest!

Heaven forbid! Who could forget Jonny? Loved that cool plane they flew around in.

Did you ever read the "Rick Brant" series of juvenile books? IIRC, they were written in the 50s and 60s. Jonny Quest might have copied the same theme - teenager with a famous scientist father, all sorts of science-related adventures around the world, aviation, boats, scuba diving, evil scientist bad guys, mysteries, buddy from India,.... Even a little dog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Brant

Heaven forbid! Who could forget Jonny? Loved that cool plane they flew around in.

Did you ever read the "Rick Brant" series of juvenile books? IIRC, they were written in the 50s and 60s. Jonny Quest might have copied the same theme - teenager with a famous scientist father, all sorts of science-related adventures around the world, aviation, boats, scuba diving, evil scientist bad guys, mysteries, buddy from India,.... Even a little dog.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Brant

No, wasn't aware of that series. We lived in the sticks. Our county library was pitiful.

The Banana Splits (watched it).
Then you also remember "Danger Island".

And I remember my little brother running around the back yard yelling "Uh Oh! Chongo!!!!!"

And I'd love to own one of the Amphicat vehicles (in good working condition, of course) they drove on the show. That would be a blast to have at the airport instead of the ubiquitous golf cart.

upload_2019-2-12_18-44-43.jpeg

Then there was Romper Room and Bozo.
Bonus points if you can name these characters without resorting to Google.

howtrio.jpg

And the main items I remember from Romper Room was the magic mirror and "Romper Stompers"

Not exactly Saturday morning programming, but who can forget these guys...

upload_2019-2-12_19-5-20.jpeg

CHQqskA.jpg

^^^ Also a pilot ^^^

And Rita Moreno shouting "HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!"

Shari Lewis

I don't remember what days and times she was on, though.

bonus: skip to 2:00

In a weird twist, AggieMike starts equating this thread to The Four Yorkshiremen

Bonus points if you can name these characters without resorting to Google.

And the main items I remember from Romper Room was the magic mirror and "Romper Stompers"

Kookla, Fran, and Ollie?

I remember the race cars (boxes) from Romper room.

Does anyone else remember the "Skyhawks" cartoon from ~1970ish? It was about an adventure flying family in the NW.

How about "Stop that Pidgeon?"

Someone else mentioned Astro Boy. That was the first cartoon on after the test pattern on Saturday mornings when I was a kid. 6:30 in the morning and I was up and in front of the TV a lot of Saturdays to watch it when I was 5 - 6- 7. I liked the theme song.

Not only was Sky King my boyhood hero and why I started flying, he then became a close personal friend of mine for the last 10 years of his life. He [Kirby Grant] was as nice in real life as he was on TV.

Guy

It’s Kukla, IIRC.

My Saturdays back in the day were at the local movie house watching Serials like Don Winslow of the Navy before Lash LaRue, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry movies.

Cheers

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
If Chuck chucks woodchucks chucking wood, woodchucks are still chucking wood, so wood chucked by woodchucks unchucked by Chuck is the same as wood chucked by woodchucks chucked by Chuck.

Now if Chuck were made of wood, and the only thing he chucks is wood, then he would be a wood Chuck chucking wood. Of course, wood Chucks are the same as woodchucks. But if Chuck (made of wood) could chuck woodchucks, it all depends on whether woodchucks chuck wood.

Chuck Norris doesn't often chuck either wood or woodchucks, preferring to roundhouse kick them instead, but he could.

Saturday mornings.....cartoons, pajamas, cinnamon toast and hot chocolate.
For and my little brother, toss in the 8" black and white TV in the kitchen. Because the color set was upstairs in the parental unit's sleeping chamber.

If Chuck chucks woodchucks chucking wood, woodchucks are still chucking wood, so wood chucked by woodchucks unchucked by Chuck is the same as wood chucked by woodchucks chucked by Chuck...

You must have not paid attention to the Captain. The proper answer is, "He'd chuck as much as a woodchuck could if a woodchuck could chuck wood."

Back