Satisfying landing

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
I joined a fractional lease on a 2001 Trinidad (TB20) back in January. Sweet, sweet airplane with lotsa gadgets and buttons and gizmos. Went thru a thorough checkout and an IPC, but hadn't done an approach since then. Got an upcoming trip, so I grab my CFII yesterday to make sure I could still coordinate all the buttons and gizmos during an approach.

After a grueling 2 hours of eliminating dead brain cells (hopefully), we headed back to the busy home field. I placed myself between a 172 on downwind and a 172 on x-wind with lots more 172's headed in. I was a little snug with the 172 in front of me, so I was working that when my instructor informed me that this guy flew a slooooow final. Okay, I've trained in slow flight. A 360 for spacing didn't feel good due to the close confines of bravo airspace and the numerous planes calling the 45 entry, so slow flight was the game plan. I carefully managed my speed and altitude while following the 172, always ready for the go-around. He made a great short landing which meant he had to taxi forever to the first exit. Just as he turned off, I crossed the threshold with a little altitude that was easy to lose by reducing power. Touched down and with a little bit of brakes made the first exit while hearing 2 different 172's call a go-around.

As I stopped to clean up the airplane, my CFI said "nice". He said that with patience I had just done with a Trinidad what the 172's behind me couldn't do. Sure felt good 'bout that. Of course it was this particular CFI that taught me how to do it......in a 172........

Way to go, Kaye. I am glad the Trinidad is back in the air.

woohooo! what time were you up, didn't know it got that busy during the week out there!

sounds like we are keeping Ray on his toes.

Way to go Kaye. I'll be number 2 behind you any day if you can put 'em down like that.

Best,

Dave

woodstock said:
woohooo! what time were you up, didn't know it got that busy during the week out there!

sounds like we are keeping Ray on his toes.

Yep, it can be pretty busy during the week around 5ish and 6ish. I've had the whole airport to myself practicing landings, but when 5pm rolls around, there's a sudden traffic jam.

Dave Siciliano said:
Way to go Kaye. I'll be number 2 behind you any day if you can put 'em down like that.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. Will that be in the new A-36? :yes:

I'd do it in that, but it's being sold. I'd be behind you in a Baron (B-58); so, you'd have to do good to save me from burning a lot of gas---going around!! Actually, it's also my job to communicate and properly space myself.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
I'd do it in that, but it's being sold. I'd be behind you in a Baron (B-58); so, you'd have to do good to save me from burning a lot of gas---going around!! Actually, it's also my job to communicate and properly space myself.

Best,

Dave

Oops, I did goof that up. Guess I didn't quite get rid of all that dead matter in my head. :redface:

Back