Satellite Internet Service

For most people, you are better off trying to fight for cell signals with antennas and boosters than fighting with satellite internet.

Either way, you are going to have to deal with latency and bandwidth limits.

The most effective first steps are:
Minimum for anyone: Install Adblock on all browsers

Ideal for most, if they are willing to learn a little: pi-hole DNS server (www.pi-hole.net)
This is a local DNS caching server that also blocks know ad network DNS requests. 70% of individual internet requests are DNS, and while they are tiny and pretty minor on a low latency connection, with a high latency connection like cell or sat, they make the internet feel really slow. Also, 40% of the bandwidth used is Ads, blocking those will speed things up and prevent overages and deprioritization.

All out: pi-hole + Squid proxy. Adding a Squid proxy will reduce bandwidth usage by caching repetitive, non-encrypted assets. This is less valuable these days because many websites use SSL encryption (which is good for other reasons), but it limits the benefits of proxy data without SSL interception (which is a more complex implementation that comes with its own issues).

Minimum for anyone: Install Adblock on all browsers

Above quoted post is packed with good advice.

One small thing is that the word on the street is that uBlock Origin is the blocker to use at the moment. I use it myself and it certainly seem light on system resources and effective.

Unfortunately there are dodgy clones about called ublock (with no Origin). Take great care. In all cases only use extensions from Official Sources. e.g. mozilla.org for firefox extensions, google.com for chrome.

Any reputable ad blocker is better than no blocker though:)

I regard an ad blocker as an essential security ingredient. I don't have numbers but it might reduce by half the sites that the browser uses to render a page on your screen. Those absent sites have no direct reputation to lose by hosting (accidentally I assume) malware. That seems likely to more than half the security risk of using the Web at all.

Last edited:
Back