Saratoga Yoke

Cpt_Kirk

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Ted Striker
The yoke on the Saratoga is getting to be tough to move smoothly and it feels like it's binding where the shaft runs through that plastic collar in the panel. My landings are suffering. I clearly don't know the correct terms for those specific parts... but, can any sort of lubricant be applied to smooth out the movement of the yoke? It's definitely not something that can be confused with a flight control issue.

I guess that runs thru the full gamut of the piper line. My flight school had a can of spray lube specifically for that, I'll have to check what kind it was but I'd spray that on a cloth and wipe down the yoke shaft before flights in the archer.

I've wiped mine down with silicone out of a spray can. But I honestly can't tell you if it was my mechanic who told me to do that or not.

Well, I guess I'll just ask a mechanic to borrow something the next time I'm at the field.

Silicone spray into a rag. Graphite will make a mess.

I use silicon spray also on the Warrior. I've also been told that paste wax will work, haven't tried it yet.

You may want to remove the plastic collar and inspect the rollers for wear. The lower roller has a tendency to wear a flat spot in them. At least that is how the yoke is supported in a Comanche. Good Luck!

Starting to get that way in my Lance as well. Seems like I'm using a rag with silicon spray every couple of flights to keep it loose and moving fluidly. Need to take a further look into it.

WD40+Duct+Tape+Flow+Chart1380697439.jpg

You may want to have your mechanic look at it.There was a fatal accident a couple of weeks ago that was caused by the fatigue failure of the yoke system. I think it was a Cherokee.

Back