Saratoga Towing

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
I am the proud new owner of a '83 Toga N8312A and have a question about towing or more specifically pushing back. My hangar has an upslope to it, enough that I couldn't push my Commander 114 up and most likely can't a Saratoga either. I have a cordless Robotow system for the 114 but PA32s only have a single fork so not compatable with that system. Any suggestions on other tows/tugs/methods out there?

Thanks!

I like the Sidewinder, if you are a fabricator you can build one pretty cheap to fit your plane, it's just a friction wheel drive.

Congrats on the toga!

image.jpg

Plus

stevetires.png

I've always pushed/pulled my planes, amphib provides a good workout :yes:

...but if you must, a golfcart or riding mower off Craigslist and a little welding will make a good tug.

Last edited:
Congrat on the Toga. Pictures would be nice.

We have a winch at the back of the hangar to pull our Saratoga in. I have tried a couple of times to push it in myself, it is a very heavy plane. The down slope helps coming out, unless you want to stop it.

Yes. We have a hook that clips on to the rear tie down eyelet. The winch control is on a very long cable. Long enough to reach the front of the plane. I steer with the tow bar while the winch pulls the plane into the hangar. It works well. If you go this route make sure that you get a winch that is reversible from the control. If you pull the plane tight enough, it is nearly impossible to release the cable.

We pull the plane back against the rear chocks, chock in front of the wheels, then reverse the winch to give the cable slack to remove the hook.

It works very well.

Back